• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is a concern with a lot of the measures they may take here. It may or may not end up being something dining related, but I think there’s almost no chance we come out of this without some temporary cutback or change becoming permanent.

Some attraction goes “seasonal” and then becomes permanently closed, nighttime entertainment is scaled way down either the show itself or the frequency, service cutbacks in the name of safety stick around, character meet changes become permanent (remember that “test” where they gave out already autographed cards I believe instead of signing), perfect time to roll out unsavoury automated things in the name of safety (welcome back, photo pass boxes), the options are endless.
I understand what you're saying and definitely valid points. But, we do have to realize that even before the shut down Disney is always changing things, tweaking this and that. Look at the whole Epcot redo, or how many folks got up in arms about the old Poly waterfall going away. Haven't Extra Magic Hours been on the decline recently too? My point is, as with many things in life, the one thing you can count on is things will change.
Will Covid-19 be the catalyst for a lot of permanent changes? Perhaps, but there were a lot of changes already in the works so I'm trying to just take things as they come and make my own determination if we're getting value or not.

54% of people don’t plan to travel once the lockdowns are ended. I wonder what percent won’t travel from fear of COVID-19 and what percentage won’t travel because of the their financial situation?
Well and I mentioned earlier my work and my husbands are making people who travel out of state stay at home for 14 days. They may lift that restriction when the state does but it would play into our vacation decisions for the year.

I think this is a concern with a lot of the measures they may take here. It may or may not end up being something dining related, but I think there’s almost no chance we come out of this without some temporary cutback or change becoming permanent.

Some attraction goes “seasonal” and then becomes permanently closed, nighttime entertainment is scaled way down either the show itself or the frequency, service cutbacks in the name of safety stick around, character meet changes become permanent (remember that “test” where they gave out already autographed cards I believe instead of signing), perfect time to roll out unsavoury automated things in the name of safety (welcome back, photo pass boxes), the options are endless.

Wasn't there something last year about WDW having fewer photographers and moving towards using some "non-human" photography in some areas - I can't remember what it was called? There was an outcry then and the photographers were brought back. I'm thinking they are going to reverse that decision to go back to what they were trying before.

I'm confused by this comment? Obviously, nobody wants to get sick from any sort of shared common spaces (which buffets are most certainly), but with a dangerous virus with a high rate of transmissibility going around, people would understandably be more cautious or concerned about the tongs, pans, utensils and other tools they'd be sharing with other patrons to obtain the food as well as the physical layout of the process of obtaining food (i.e. how much space is between you and other patrons). If these locations remain "serve yourself," people also can understandably be worried about an asymptomatic child touching the food or tongs . This definitely happens at Disney. Just ask a buffet chef. For very, very serious food allergies, chefs ask guests if they can just prepare the food individually for that guest, because of this exact concern over cross-contamination (a kid taking the tongs from a cheese-dressed salad and using them to grab other nearby cheese-free food for example).

As far as I can tell, nobody is raising concerns with food quality but rather the means of obtaining the food. Buffets as they traditionally operate can be problematic in that sense.
99% of the time I'm not a germaphobe, but my family seldom asks me to go to buffets because I have always thought they were disgusting. I've seen guys in the restroom that don't wash their hands then I see same said guy at the buffet filling his plate. Just gross. I tell my wife that eating at a buffet is the equivalent of licking the doorknob at a busy office building. COVID or not, no buffet for this guy.

Wasn't there something last year about WDW having fewer photographers and moving towards using some "non-human" photography in some areas - I can't remember what it was called? There was an outcry then and the photographers were brought back. I'm thinking they are going to reverse that decision to go back to what they were trying before.

There are still meet and greets without human photographers - our Darth Vader meet & greet in Feb. had the automated cameras.

A lot of things are going to need twerking and reworking...
For example, I think virtual queues have a lot of promise, and they can really help in this situation with social distancing. BUT I do think they need to figure out a better way of doing it rather than having crowds of people standing outside the park at 6am. They just as well have lines if that's what they are going to do.

A lot of things are going to need twerking and reworking...
For example, I think virtual queues have a lot of promise, and they can really help in this situation with social distancing. BUT I do think they need to figure out a better way of doing it rather than having crowds of people standing outside the park at 6am. They just as well have lines if that's what they are going to do.
Virtual queues help spread the people out throughout the day. So while yes there would still be a theoretical line the line would be the same throughout no eb and flow like a normal standby. With limited attendance you wouldn’t need to stand outside a park at 6AM either.

Ugh my meet Mickey photos from the auto camera are mostly just my family meandering and me/my wife trying to corral my kids. My dad took a photo with his Android and it turned out 5x better. If they go back to that it’s a lock that I’ll never buy photopass again.

But I imagine that once meet and greets are OK having a photog in the room would be OK too.

Virtual queues help spread the people out throughout the day. So while yes there would still be a theoretical line the line would be the same throughout no eb and flow like a normal standby. With limited attendance you wouldn’t need to stand outside a park at 6AM either.

Which brings up another issue. If the park is severely limited in capacity, will that just create large crowds before opening every morning? People could start lining up outside before 6am to make sure they get in.

Which brings up another issue. If the park is severely limited in capacity, will that just create large crowds before opening every morning? People could start lining up outside before 6am to make sure they get in.
Not if they are limiting to resort guests or have other limitations in places. Disney is certainly going to think about this from every aspect. This isn’t something they are going to do without careful consideration. I think some if not many people are going to reconsider vacations to begin with if there are restrictions on place and/or limited attractions and experiences.

HI all, new here (long time unplugged listener though) and wanted to get people thoughts on when international visitors will be able to come back to the world?

We've got a holiday booked for mid August with a 14 day stay at CBR, does anyone think realistically that we could be at a stage where we'll be able to fly over from the UK by then? I know no one knows for sure but curious what the thoughts are for people over in the states.

I've seen the phase 1 opening rumours but heard that international visitors would be approx stage 3 so I have no idea what that would actually mean.

Thanks

We are booked for 15th-29th September flying from Manchester, and I am very optimistic that the parks/resorts will be open (with social distancing obviously), but pessimistic as to the chances of flying. I hope I am totally wrong obviously as if the US is accepting international visitors (and the UK has opened it's airports) then it means we have succeeded as a society on both sides of the Atlantic in flattening the curve and halting the spread of the virus - the question would for me be whether the world is ready to risk a potential second wave/peak by allowing international flights again.

Fingers crossed.

You just voiced exactly what I’m most concerned about - that at least some of the cut backs and modifications will become the new normal, way after the reopening under COVID is done - because they will represent huge cost savings. I’m still sad that the nighttime parade at MK went bye bye. And ya’ll remember when fireworks and Fantasmic were not nightly? They have already reduced the street entertainers and laid off some of the bands and entertainment at Epcot and AK. I can see them maintaining some of these cut backs, maybe some additional entertainment is cut back, maybe the fireworks or parades don’t take place every day/night, etc.

There is a lot everyone should be concerned about more than temperature checks or masks. And some think this won’t affect them because their trip is not until 2021, but if WDW looks for cost cutting after all the millions lost, this will affect everyone’s trips.

Our next trip isn't until June 2021, and I *am* worried about it. Especially since for us, Disney is the entertainment (shows, characters, fireworks, performers etc...). I am worried that some, maybe too many for us, of the cutbacks will end up being permanent. Let's face it, Disney is going to be in cost-cutting mode for years trying to recover from this.

Not if they are limiting to resort guests or have other limitations in places. Disney is certainly going to think about this from every aspect. This isn’t something they are going to do without careful consideration. I think some if not many people are going to reconsider vacations to begin with if there are restrictions on place and/or limited attractions and experiences.
With my very limited knowledge, I wonder if at the initial reopening with much lower number of guests they could run the park like a system of ocean currents with cinderella castle down being the equator. They could number the entry lines at rope drop and give you yours with your entry time. Funnel you through the park clockwise from left and/or counterclockwise from right following arrows in a one way direction and exit from castle down. All stores/restaurants could follow similar patterns as you enter in and move out. You would have to skip anything you don't want to do. Once you make your way around you can start over. Wipes/Sanitizer available as you come to a new surface.

Our next trip isn't until June 2021, and I *am* worried about it. Especially since for us, Disney is the entertainment (shows, characters, fireworks, performers etc...). I am worried that some, maybe too many for us, of the cutbacks will end up being permanent. Let's face it, Disney is going to be in cost-cutting mode for years trying to recover from this.
I think its probably more than just cost cutting mode. This has probably set a permenant tone with leadership and their responsibility to stockholders as to how they remain operational through the next one. We never went back to a pre 9/11 world concerning security as the preparation was for the next terrorist attack. When people talk about the new normal this is what they are referring to. Social distancing is our new normal and I think the amusement park business will look nothing like it did pre COVID 19. Just my opinion but this has shut down the world and corporate leadership would be irresponsible to their shareholders not to recognize and prepare for a future event. I would assume that means what is put in place stays in place going forward. Question is.... is that something they can afford to do and people still consider it an entertainment value worthy of the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter