• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hesitate to even tell this because, yes it came from a phone cast member. It’s nothing groundbreaking but I will say that she was the most knowledgeable CM I have ever spoke with on the phone. We had awesome Disney conversation and it was obvious her love for it. She lives in Orlando, husband is a bus driver, son works at planet Hollywood. None of this is groundbreaking or new but her perspective was interesting. She said her husband had a call a few days ago and he got super excited to see his bosses number but his boss was only calling to check in so he was bummed as he is ready to get back to driving! Nice that the bosses are calling to check on their employees. Her son has no updates either and all the cars etc parked in DS are not restaurant deliveries. They have heard no word yet on opening PH up yet but she said when the DS restaurants open they won’t need much notice and of course will not order any food until just a couple of days prior. Now here is the part that I know some will blast me for but I’m just telling what she said. She said they have plenty of CM to open without any college program kids whatsoever. She also said that once CMs get a date to come back they could be up and running in a week. She said sooo many live right in the area and so many of them have worked there for so long that it’s second nature. She said they have all the access to needed resources and employees that are well trained and experienced to have it all rolling fast. She said new training regarding safety and health procedures can be implemented and trained quickly. This next part she said is her opinion. She thinks that they are gonna wait as many days as they can to make a decision for June to make sure there isn’t a major shift in numbers. But she stated they have been given no indication of what the actual opening date will be of course. Those are the main points and it made me feel better about it all. I know there are major conflicting opinions on all this and I ain’t here to argue with anyone about it. I enjoyed talking to her about Disney and thought I would share 🤷‍♀️

That's the kind of CM information I don't mind at all. She didn't give you absolutes, didn't tell you dates they were opening- gave you nothing that would be information that shouldn't be shared. Thanks for sharing it with us!

She said they have plenty of CM to open without any college program kids whatsoever. She also said that once CMs get a date to come back they could be up and running in a week. She said sooo many live right in the area and so many of them have worked there for so long that it’s second nature. She said they have all the access to needed resources and employees that are well trained and experienced to have it all rolling fast. She said new training regarding safety and health procedures can be implemented and trained quickly.

My concern is the number of the non CP CMs who are in a high risk category due to age (65+) or other health concerns. When I did my CP I worked alongside many older FT & PT CMs.

Since they likely won’t be fully staffed, it’s probably fine, but I do worry about the older CMs and those with underlying conditions or other health situations that make them higher risk :(

😂😂 right??!! I could have kept her on the phone forever asking questions she was so nice but I felt bad but she kept conversation going too and I loved how much she loved Disney too and knew so much about it. She said her husband expects a call anytime to get back to it which is why he was so excited to see his bosses number! Also she has heard NOTHING regarding Epcot not opening the same time as the other parks.
I think the Morroco Pavilion job postings shot a decent sized hole in that theory...

My concern is the number of the non CP CMs who are in a high risk category due to age (65+) or other health concerns. When I did my CP I worked alongside many older FT & PT CMs.

Since they likely won’t be fully staffed, it’s probably fine, but I do worry about the older CMs and those with underlying conditions or other health situations that make them higher risk :(

That will be an interesting situation. Many of my local Publix employees look to be 65 and older. But they are there and have been there working away through all of this. I have not heard them complain.

I don't see how they can legally require those 65+ to not work, even though some of the guidelines seem to say they should not work. We have some pretty well-established laws on that. Age is a protected class. Maybe they allow those who are are older or at risk to choose to stay home? We still have shelter-in-place in Georgia for those who are 65 and up. I don't even know how they get away with that. I am not sure they could actually enforce it if they wanted to. I hate to think that in a pandemic the government and employers can just do whatever they want, in spite of our established laws.

I wonder how many of Disney's 65+ and high risk employees would choose to work if they had the option. I expect many of them would prefer to work than to stay home, but I don't know.

But I thought you had the inside knowledge from your “source” so you’d know exactly when the parks were reopening??
What does that have to do with us cancelling our trip? We decided not to go because if WDW runs 50% capacity and spaces out seats on rides then it will be no different than a full park as far as wait times. Plus I'm not dropping thousands for a "Less Than" trip.

That will be an interesting situation. Many of my local Publix employees look to be 65 and older. But they are there and have been there working away through all of this. I have not heard them complain.

I don't see how they can legally require those 65+ to not work, even though some of the guidelines seem to say they should not work. We have some pretty well-established laws on that. Age is a protected class. Maybe they allow those who are are older or at risk to choose to stay home? We still have shelter-in-place in Georgia for those who are 65 and up. I don't even know how they get away with that. I am not sure they could actually enforce it if they wanted to. I hate to think that in a pandemic the government and employers can just do whatever they want, in spite of our established laws.

I wonder how many of Disney's 65+ and high risk employees would choose to work if they had the option. I expect many of them would prefer to work than to stay home, but I don't know.

Right. It’s complicated. I think there will be a mix. I’m sure there are many who want to work, despite age or health situation. I’m sure there will be those who are hesitant or may choose not to return based on age or health situation. I agree - I don’t think they would (or should!) be able to age discriminate. But I do wonder what the actual workforce numbers are like without CPs and any high risk CMs who choose not to return.

So it looks like AA have cancelled all direct flights from LAX to MCO until 7/7. My trip is 7/7-14, but we were leaving on a red eye on 7/6. Not sure if this means anything at this point. If WDW announces something soon, I would imagine the direct flights would be added again if they are open!

What does that have to do with us cancelling our trip? We decided not to go because if WDW runs 50% capacity and spaces out seats on rides then it will be no different than a full park as far as wait times. Plus I'm not dropping thousands for a "Less Than" trip.

Hey, all legitimate and good reasons for cancelling. And pools are awesome to have in the summer, no regrets on ours.

I thought it was noteworthy because you had suggested a mid May, and then a June 1st opening very confidently from your source and I believe talked about not cancelling your own trip because of this, and now on May 6th have scrapped going entirely. You spoke about specifics regarding SWGE access, transportation, restaurants, and rides running at reduced capacity. After your source changed to June 1st, you then spoke of a June trip as a back up.

I don't begrudge you for doing whatever the heck you want with your trips and your money. And you don't owe any of us an explanation. I'm posting this to remind people to NOT MAKE DECISIONS BASED ON POSTS HERE. And to be fair you may have posted that yourself, that your information isn't guaranteed. But info from sources tends to get repeated and repeated until it's become seemingly official, and I've seen a few people talk about cancelling based on dates and procedures talked about here. Please wait until official Disney information. Even the reliable information may be changing frequently.

Hey, all legitimate and good reasons for cancelling. And pools are awesome to have in the summer, no regrets on ours.

I thought it was noteworthy because you had suggested a mid May, and then a June 1st opening very confidently from your source and I believe talked about not cancelling your own trip because of this, and now on May 6th have scrapped going entirely. You spoke about specifics regarding SWGE access, transportation, restaurants, and rides running at reduced capacity. After your source changed to June 1st, you then spoke of a June trip as a back up.

I don't begrudge you for doing whatever the heck you want with your trips and your money. And you don't owe any of us an explanation. I'm posting this to remind people to NOT MAKE DECISIONS BASED ON POSTS HERE. And to be fair you may have posted that yourself, that your information isn't guaranteed. But info from sources tends to get repeated and repeated until it's become seemingly official, and I've seen a few people talk about cancelling based on dates and procedures talked about here. Please wait until official Disney information. Even the reliable information may be changing frequently.
Precisely this. His opinions were passed off as fact direct from a “source” and we were expected to take it as gospel. Nothing on this thread should be taken as source material, unless it is direct from the source (WDW press release) and NO ONE should be making or changing vacation plans based on what people are posting.

The info I got hasn't changed. The excitement of going to Disney did change. My whole family including me just don't "feel it" and my pool at my last house got plenty of use. It was similar to the one I ordered, just smaller. We will be going back to WDW when things get back to normal or close to it.

Precisely this. His opinions were passed off as fact direct from a “source” and we were expected to take it as gospel. Nothing on this thread should be taken as source material, unless it is direct from the source (WDW press release) and NO ONE should be making or changing vacation plans based on what people are posting.
Can I just add, or what a phone CM tells you? Anyone who has real information, that they know to be absolutely true is high enough on the food chain that they aren't going to tell anyone else. I'm not saying the ones repeating it are intentionally misleading anyone- just saying take it with a grain of salt. I can post all sorts of predictions and it might well be what happens- even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter