• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is what I read-- that they might open earlier than expected, hence the flexibility line. I actually think it is to cover the angry people who might have had their reservations cancelled already, or partial reservations that hang into the cancellation period being moved.
Who knows, maybe they are trying to soften the blow to the latest round of guests that just received their cancellation emails, because they are now planning on opening a few days after UO.....maybe......potentially.....alright, highly unlikely! pixiedust:

I honestly didn’t even think about that. Very good points. They did cancel check in dates through June 13th. If they reopen on June 10th, for example, they’re going to have a lot of REALLY angry people. :(

It could also mean "we may cancel your trip and then open during that time", we just don't know. This was pretty much a "we have no clue what's going to happen!" statement. They could shoot for June 14/15 and then a bunch of stuff hits the fan and they have to backtrack, we just don't know. I refuse to read too much in to it, it's still pretty much what we heard before "we're taking reservations but that doesn't mean we'll be open" which is pretty much saying everything and nothing all at once and way to keep their options open.

almost felt like the press release version of
HelplessResponsibleLark-size_restricted.gif

This might be off topic, and I might just be feeling salty today, but I just feel it's not helping anything for them to be in the middle of moving executive positions around. It's like "Ok, we know our leaders are supposed to be making hard decisions and trying to get their parks open, but we're going to put them in a different role and throw someone else in who has no clue what is going on in this area......" I just don't see all these executive moves could be helpful during this.

I know everyone is frustrated by what they feel are vague messages from Disney but I actually see a very clear message in their communications like today’s post. The message is that things are changing all the time and people planning a trip need to be comfortable with uncertainty during that process. I think it is clear that they won’t give any solid answers until they do and all of our wishcasting won’t change that. It stinks and I know it is frustrating for folks who planned their trips down to every last detail but it is the way it is right now. I have said it before but I spend 65% of my time working from home on a reopening plan for a public facing business and we have multiple potential plans all with different dates and different contingencies and the likelihood of any one of them being the final plan and date changes by the day and goes back around in a loop. We are giving the same basic message as Disney - we are closed now, on-site programming is canceled until x for now, we do not know when we will reopen. Because it is the truth. We don’t have an answer and we won’t share our hopes or guesses publicly when those hopes and guesses change day to day.

I know everyone is frustrated by what they feel are vague messages from Disney but I actually see a very clear message in their communications like today’s post. The message is that things are changing all the time and people planning a trip need to be comfortable with uncertainty during that process. I think it is clear that they won’t give any solid answers until they do and all of our wishcasting won’t change that. It stinks and I know it is frustrating for folks who planned their trips down to every last detail but it is the way it is right now. I have said it before but I spend 65% of my time working from home on a reopening plan for a public facing business and we have multiple potential plans all with different dates and different contingencies and the likelihood of any one of them being the final plan and date changes by the day and goes back around in a loop. We are giving the same basic message as Disney - we are closed now, on-site programming is canceled until x for now, we do not know when we will reopen. Because it is the truth. We don’t have an answer and we won’t share our hopes or guesses publicly when those hopes and guesses change day to day.
You're right, but the same thing could be said for Universal as far as planning goes yet they're sticking their necks out to say "This is what we'd like to do" and it feels like Disney is just not giving us anything.

That DPB post needed to happen weeks ago, not after Universal announced their reopening as I'm sure they are getting more phone calls now. and as much as I love Disney, and I will continue going, they are now, as the younglings would say, being "extra"
I absolutely agree. This sounds like Disney waving their hand saying hey, don’t forget about us. Would’ve been the perfect announcement a month ago.

I wish they'd stop wasting their time putting out these no info./nothing memos to tell us not to be mad at them and instead spend that time figuring out what they're actual plan is and release actual info.
Thankfully, after being a fan for years, I can decipher Disney-speak:

"While we’re currently accepting reservations starting in July 2020 at both resorts, as this situation evolves, timing may continue to shift."

= Just because we are starting resort reservations on July 1st, that does not mean July 1st is the date reservations will actually start. We may continue the rolling cancellations throughout July. Or, start reservations in June, but locking them to stay within capacity limits. In other words, it's a non-statement meant to take space in this page.

"As we continue to follow guidance from government and health care officials regarding how we’ll be able to reopen our parks and resorts in a responsible way, we may also need to make real-time adjustments to booked experiences, park tickets and park passes."

= We may continue to cancel packages, cancel your dates and extend your park tickets through the end of the year, and cancel your after-hour events, such as Villains, all at the last minute possible.

There ya'll go! Wish we had a date like the Universal fans....

AGREED, but none of this flies when every park around them is announcing opening dates! And this statement sounded more negative to an open then it did positive.

"
Thankfully, after being a fan for years, I can decipher Disney-speak:

"While we’re currently accepting reservations starting in July 2020 at both resorts, as this situation evolves, timing may continue to shift."

= Just because we are starting resort reservations on July 1st, that does not mean July 1st is the date reservations will actually start. We may continue the rolling cancellations throughout July. Or, start reservations in June, but locking them to stay within capacity limits. In other words, it's a non-statement meant to take space in this page.

"As we continue to follow guidance from government and health care officials regarding how we’ll be able to reopen our parks and resorts in a responsible way, we may also need to make real-time adjustments to booked experiences, park tickets and park passes."

= We may continue to cancel packages, cancel your dates and extend your park tickets through the end of the year, and cancel your after-hour events, such as Villains, all at the last minute possible.

There ya'll go! Wish we had a date like the Universal fans....
I was trying to say something along these lines, but I threw my back out again picking up the cat and I just can't with words and fully formed thoughts today. To this I say "true, thank you", big thumbs up.

I read it a little differently. I think they’re lumping in WDW and DL together to show solidarity but saying a lot is up to local government. Basically, don’t get mad if you hear WDW is reopening but DL isn’t when they’re both taking reservations starting July 1st because the governing bodies are in different states. I will be truly shocked if DL is open this summer in any capacity. I’d love to be wrong about it though.
I read this the same way. Them lumping DL in there makes the overall tone seem ominous, but I don't think it's as ominous as it sounds for WDW. Newsome is opening up very slowly and cautiously. DL is not nearly as large of an impact on the CA economy and WDW is for FL. Desantis is ready to rubber stamp any plan put in front of him to get the economy rolling again. Disney is hemorrhaging money, so while they'll be smart about it, they absolutely have UO in their sights. I would be shocked if they don't open in June, or at least early July.

AGREED, but none of this flies when every park around them is announcing opening dates! And this statement sounded more negative to an open then it did positive.
I really think it means what the pp basically said. Some of y’all ‘bout to be real mad b/c we cancelled you but will still open during what would have been some of your dates. Sorry ‘bout that. Ya know...fluid...unprecedented...complicated...

“Real time adjustments”. What do we think that means? I’m supposed to have dinner in an hour at BOG and it’s cancelled? Or moved to Tony’s town square? I have a fast pass at 7DMT tomorrow am but I have to go to DHS instead and they switched it to Muppet Vision? Seriously I get that this is all unprecedented and they are doing their best but this is a stark example of what I think is really annoying. CLEARLY they have an idea what this means to them. And they issue in this vague format. So they can cover themselves? I get if you have points you can’t get back or other financial commitments that make it prohibitive to cancel but how on earth can a cash customer like me possible feel good about dropping a ton of money to go there under these circumstances?
Agree.

They use the word “May” a lot, which in business is often used as a term to cover their behinds. It’s a “just in case”, which in these times is a very logical tactic. It doesn’t mean that they will open beyond July 1st, nor does it mean they’ll open before. It could be either. They just want their guests to prepare that in an ever changing climate, there is no sure thing until it’s a sure thing.

I’m thinking WDW could open in July, but they are going to host the NBA instead. All of the reports are saying the NBA will play in July. After the NBA is finished they will open to the public. I’m thinking they want to keep it separate.

I probably should have added in my post that I work in an industry where there are other similar institutions also trying to make decisions about reopening in our area. We are checking in with each other and while we all coordinated closing on the same day as a united message, the reopenings will not all be the same because while we may all look like basically the same thing to visitors we all have different concerns and mitigation factors that affect our ability to reopen - some will have an easier time than others. Some will be less cautious than others. And while we are talking to each other my organization will not make its decision based on what another organization does because we have to consider what is best for US. Just like theme parks. As guests, we look at them as one type of thing that all operate the same way but they don’t all have the same issues to resolve - we’ve discussed a ton of that in these threads about how Disney has a different set of challenges than Universal does. I do think that Universal making a firm announcement puts Disney’s feet to the fire a bit but I don’t fault Disney at all for not feeling comfortable to share more solid info yet.

I’m thinking WDW could open in July, but they are going to host the NBA instead. All of the reports are saying the NBA will play in July. After the NBA is finished they will open to the public. I’m thinking they want to keep it separate.

What does one have to do with the other? The NBA playoffs themselves take 2 months let alone if they finish out the regular season, that’s another month. So they wouldn’t open until October? Yeah, I’m sure their shareholders would love the parks only being open for a total of 2 weeks during 3 fiscal quarters

The NBA thinking of playing a shortened season, it could be a couple of weeks or another month. If the NBA chooses Vegas, then Disney might move up the date to open. It just really seems like Disney really wants the NBA games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter