• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just throwing this out there but is there any chance WDW is waiting for DL to open simultaneously? I mean it's easy to justify not opening the same dates as other countries, (Shanghi), but maybe for whatever reason they can't see opening in FL while saying it's unsafe to do so in CA?

Probably nothing to do with it, more to do with local governments, Universal Hollywood isn't opening and that park is much smaller.

Last edited:
So we're upset if Disney says nothing.

We're upset if Disney says something.

If they don't have a date, what do you all want them to say? They are basically warning you, plan at your own risk, but due to Covid your plans can be disrupted at any given moment.

Anyone with trips planned the rest of this year should be going in with that mindset already.
I have that mindset for May 2021!

I agree. They won’t win in this crowd until they announce an official date. And then if they announce a date further out than some expect, they’ll get flack for that too.

I really believe Disney is going to open the parks and resorts on their own timeline, and not rush it just because Universal is opening. I think they will want it to appear like they chose their opening timeline based on when they deem it safe to reopen, vs. just opening because Universal is (my opinion, of course.)

Sure, Springs opened shortly after CityWalk, but I don’t think that 100% means the timeline will be the same for Universal parks and Disney parks/resorts. Outdoor malls and restaurants are opening in many areas of the country, and Springs is loaded with third party shops and restaurants. Just because that started opening just after CityWalk, in my opinion, doesn’t mean WDW will open their parks right after Universal. But time will tell.

If I’m wrong, I’m wrong and I’ll be happy for anyone here who gets to go on their trips.

This is was dumb. Admittedly it’s hilarious. Thought they were calming people down and they just pissed people off 🤣 (but seriously the person who approved that for posting needs to be axed, epic miscalculation)
Huge miscalculation. I do think that they may have posted it in order to kind of prepare people that nothing about their trips is guaranteed, that experiences are not guaranteed, and that nothing guarantees access to parks if things change. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if that was a big hint to let people know that, if they aren’t okay with changes being made, they should consider rescheduling.

I would hope that people with trips booked would be smart enough to know that already. Based on what I’ve read on Facebook and Twitter, there certainly seem to be a large number of people who aren’t okay with the idea of things not going exactly as they planned.

But who knows? Maybe that wasn’t their thinking. I have no idea anymore.

Last edited:
I know everyone is frustrated by what they feel are vague messages from Disney but I actually see a very clear message in their communications like today’s post. The message is that things are changing all the time and people planning a trip need to be comfortable with uncertainty during that process. I think it is clear that they won’t give any solid answers until they do and all of our wishcasting won’t change that. It stinks and I know it is frustrating for folks who planned their trips down to every last detail but it is the way it is right now. I have said it before but I spend 65% of my time working from home on a reopening plan for a public facing business and we have multiple potential plans all with different dates and different contingencies and the likelihood of any one of them being the final plan and date changes by the day and goes back around in a loop. We are giving the same basic message as Disney - we are closed now, on-site programming is canceled until x for now, we do not know when we will reopen. Because it is the truth. We don’t have an answer and we won’t share our hopes or guesses publicly when those hopes and guesses change day to day.
I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said here. But my question is this: have they ever used the language “real time changes” in any release? That implies to me a kind of free for all. Now if I drove a half hour and spent a couple of bucks just to get out for the day I could live with that. But this is a location that encourages you to declare 6 MONTHS out where you want to have dinner. A WDW trip is a big investment. And I, and no doubt many on here, have always felt the need to plan in order to get as much as possible for my money. Even if you just plan 1 meal and it’s at the castle so your 3 year old can meet the princesses how are you going to feel if they “real time adjust” you out of that reservation? They would be better off saying nothing. It’s like they are trying to keep people’s money in some hope that it will all work out while at the same time covering their behinds when they start screwing up people’s plans.

I have a reservation on 7/3-7/9 and another 7/27-8/03. The problem is that the first is with an AP discount that only runs through 7/9, so I can't shift it and keep my AP discount, while the other is the free dining recovery deal, which can't be changed at all. So, I'm kind of stuck. I'm really hoping the early July one works out but Disney isn't exactly inspiring confidence these days.
My issue is I just changed to 7/6 so I’m late to the fast pass game already. I have room only for both so would have to change tickets to 7/23 to make those fast passes.

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said here. But my question is this: have they ever used the language “real time changes” in any release? That implies to me a kind of free for all. Now if I drove a half hour and spent a couple of bucks just to get out for the day I could live with that. But this is a location that encourages you to declare 6 MONTHS out where you want to have dinner. A WDW trip is a big investment. And I, and no doubt many on here, have always felt the need to plan in order to get as much as possible for my money. Even if you just plan 1 meal and it’s at the castle so your 3 year old can meet the princesses how are you going to feel if they “real time adjust” you out of that reservation? They would be better off saying nothing. It’s like they are trying to keep people’s money in some hope that it will all work out while at the same time covering their behinds when they start screwing up people’s plans.

It's a pandemic and the world shut down. No one knows what will happen in the coming months, so yeah, you need to be prepared to have your plans disrupted at any-time.
It's common sense.

Yes it sucks to have trips cancelled.

I agree. They won’t win in this crowd until they announce an official date. And then if they announce a date further out than some expect, they’ll get flack for that too.

I really believe Disney is going to open the parks and resorts on their own timeline, and not rush it just because Universal is opening. I think they will want it to appear like they chose their opening timeline based on when they deem it safe to reopen, vs. just opening because Universal is (my opinion, of course.)

Sure, Springs opened shortly after CityWalk, but I don’t think that 100% means the timeline will be the same for Universal parks and Disney parks/resorts. Outdoor malls and restaurants are opening in many areas of the country, and Springs is loaded with third party shops and restaurants. Just because that started opening just after CityWalk, in my opinion, doesn’t mean WDW will open their parks right after Universal. But time will tell.

If I’m wrong, I’m wrong and I’ll be happy for anyone here who gets to go on their trips.
And Springs and City Walk are pretty similar in terms of social distancing ease, etc. Universal and Disney World are really completely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter