Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats true but it seems like their plan was better executed.
I think they are opening when they planned to while Disney is doing it all on the fly. Honestly, I don’t care why, I just care what it is.

Unfortunately, I don’t find Universal to be a replacement for WDW. It’s why I’m looking at DLR and how they handle their re-opening. They’re smaller and hopefully getting their ducks in a row on their own schedule, not Universals and for that matter, every other theme park in the area. We haven’t been to DLR in a few years and since WDW looks to be out for us, at least this year if not longer, it may be a good alternative for a while.

Thats true but it seems like their plan was better executed.

Well Disney hasn't really "executed" its plans yet. Also, all Universal had to do was deal with the logistics of the parks and CityWalk. They don't control the hotels, Loews does.

I'm not saying Disney is perfect or even that they are going to get it right, but it seems as though they are trying to be comprehensive in their plans to reopen instead of doing things on an ad hoc temporary basis. Based on legit reporting, they are completely overhauling their reservations systems (for resorts, parks, FP, ADRs, etc.) instead of just trying to force their existing systems to deal with the new reality in a way that might not work going forward. It seems as though Disney is trying to do it right the first time, which simply takes time. Sure, it's guaranteed that there will be glitches, and they may make wrong choices in their planning, but at least they are trying to do it holistically instead of just fixing leaks as they pop up.

Thank you for that! I rebooked a Homecomin' ADR, yet there was nothing for Boathouse my entire trip. I wonder if that's a restaurant that hasn't been cancelled yet.

Is Boathouse bookable via opentable?

Universal is starting to look good then, their hotels are open and they promise park entry when staying there.

I agree. I know in terms of operations, size, etc. when opening, it's comparing apples and oranges, but from a consumer's point of view, they are just making the experience much more stress-free. Every question we have, currently, for WDW, Uni has already answered very clearly for their guests. I was never a big Uni fan - I enjoyed the Harry Potter attractions and I do like HRH and Portofino Bay - but, honestly, if I were looking for a relaxed Orlando theme park vacation this summer - Uni wins it for me.

I think they are opening when they planned to while Disney is doing it all on the fly. Honestly, I don’t care why, I just care what it is.

Unfortunately, I don’t find Universal to be a replacement for WDW. It’s why I’m looking at DLR and how they handle their re-opening. They’re smaller and hopefully getting their ducks in a row on their own schedule, not Universals and for that matter, every other theme park in the area. We haven’t been to DLR in a few years and since WDW looks to be out for us, at least this year if not longer, it may be a good alternative for a while.

I agree with you. As a Disney fan, it's been rather interesting (and frustrating) to watch the machinations of this closure, the announcements, the rumors on these boards. But as a consumer, Disney is doing nothing but offering me a frustrating experience during a frustrating time. It never occurred to me that DLR really could look more at Uni as a model - all hotels are walkable, two parks, etc. - DLR, most likely, will be able to offer an environment that is less stressful than WDW at this time. I mean, I know as a company, DLR will look to WDW and Shanghai, but I think there are less moving parts at DLR than WDW.

This is really disheartening to DH and I. I lurk a good bit on these forums but usually don’t post much except on Y&B forum when I can contribute. I have followed all 1000+ pages (still not quite caught up) including the great M-word debate, and have felt everyone’s pain as their hard work has been for naught as reservation after reservation has been cancelled. We are DVC who just want to get out of Maryland and get some relaxation time in. BCV is one of our home resorts and we are currently booked in August in a one bedroom. We have been so many times that we usually just wing it. We enjoy resort only stays at BCVs because of the gorgeous main resort feature pool SAB. We had a couple ADRs booked but figured we would just go with the flow on this trip since we had cooking facilities and didn’t have park tickets and weren’t sure we wanted them. We were one of those folks who had the car partially packed when we heard the news of the shut down. Luckily, because I book in the flexible part of my use year I didn’t have any of the hassles others had with expiring points initially. We have moved the trip forward at least 4 times as availability showed up further out at BCV but are bumping up against a studio trip in October at this point. We were content to be flexible, didn’t need to take park days away from those who really wanted to go and we were just going to hang poolside but if SAB isn’t open, we may need to find another resort where the feature pool will be open. I have some banked points tied up in this trip that need to be used by February but not so much availability if we don’t go in August.
DVC has already said pools will be open. I really think SAB will be open. The small quiet pool isn't big enough to hold the DVC guests. We'll see but I would be shocked if it isn't open.

Disney Springs restaurants are now bookable on the Disney website.

From Disney:
Dining Reservations Not Available at Select Locations
At this time, dining reservations at theme parks and Disney Resort hotel locations are not available. Select dining locations at Disney Springs are currently accepting reservations. Learn more about dining reservations during the phased reopening of Walt Disney World Resort.
Thank you for sharing this info! I just made a few reservations, hoping we are able to re-book for revised dates.

Disney Springs restaurants are now bookable on the Disney website.

From Disney:
Dining Reservations Not Available at Select Locations
At this time, dining reservations at theme parks and Disney Resort hotel locations are not available. Select dining locations at Disney Springs are currently accepting reservations. Learn more about dining reservations during the phased reopening of Walt Disney World Resort.

Thanks! Got Homecomin🙂

So stressful not knowing when my next Disney trip will be... I’d rather not take my son back until things are somewhat normal..
I think I’m tentatively planning in my head for December 2021. Hopefully there will be some 50th celebrations still going on.
If we get a trip in earlier that would be nice but I don’t want to get my hopes up.
December 2021 will mean it will be over 3 years since my last Disneyworld trip. I never thought that would happen!

That makes me wonder when next season will start. And will they just continue playing at WWoS. I never thought they'd go all the way to October there!

Chances of it going all the way to October are small. That would be every series going 7 games. Possible but unlikely.

When next season starts is ohe of the open questions and likely something that will be addressed Thursday.

Chances of it going all the way to October are small. That would be every series going 7 games. Possible but unlikely.

When next season starts is ohe of the open questions and likely something that will be addressed Thursday.
Probably missed this, but who's meeting on Thursday?

Probably missed this, but who's meeting on Thursday?

Thursday is the board of governors voting on the plan to resume the season. Several plans are in contention but basically all the owners have said whichever plan the commissioner picks they will suppport. So basically it will be commissioner presents his reccomendation and it will get approved.

EDIT: right now it looks like the leading plan is 20-22 teams. Basically all teams that are within 5-6 games of the playoffs and they will have a "mini end of regular season" to decide who makes the playoffs. Then move to playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter