• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is true, but we don't know how many. It is likely from people cancelling, so is it a few hundred? few thousand? one family of 4 who cancelled their trip and it is now available?

We are a family of six who cancelled this morning. I had a bad feeling about crowding and the heat, and while I do think Disney is doing a good job, you can't control the random ones who feel entitled to remove their mask or crowd in line.

Wait times at Hollywood Studios seem to be much higher than the other parks. All the big rides with 50 plus minute waits.
This is honestly what I had expected to see at every park before anything opened, but I let the numbers at other parks over the last week make me hope that DHS would be much the same. Obviously, that's not the case. I hope wait times get better as the day goes on. It's our only hope!

Outside of SWGE crowds aren’t bad. I don’t feel all that comfortable in SWGE. Too, I wish they’d disable hand dryers in restrooms.

Between the numbers and the feedback from DHS this is shaping up as a tough day. I think they should look at putting FP back in play. Eliminate tiers, allow 1 per ride per day. And allow unlimited. People will “schedule their rides. Because the idea of using stand by to encourage spacing does not appear to be working too well in that park. I know some do not want to be over scheduled, but without hopping you are basically locking people into a bad experience

DHS just "feels" more crowded because it has less physical space and less attractions (especially with a lot of the theater attractions closed). If they could get actors back online -- there would be a lot more to do at DHS and it would seem less crowded when you have hundreds of people at Indy, at Frozen, at the Little Mermaid, at Disney Junior.

The other issue is DHS was a big M&G park .. tons of them. Without them .. less things for people to do as well. (Is Launch Bay even open? Not sure).

Disney will just continue to have these issues as they eventually open up capacity ...social distancing at a theme park (like at school) is just not realistic. Those places are designed to be able to handle a lot of people at once .. when you restrict that capability (by only filling ride vehicles partly, but spreading out lines way beyond their capacity, by closing some attractions .. the house of cards crumble and trying to socially distance just makes things worse by creating long lines and log jams.

Will be interesting to see what happens at HS in the coming days and weeks.

There is really no way to spread out the TSL/SWGE crowd so I feel that is just going to be an unavoidable crowding issue in those areas unless they limit capacity in those lands better.

Have there been any updates about things available for little ones? With no shows or traditional meet and greets running, and only 2 rides without a height requirement (MMRR & TSM) the littlest kids are just going to be rider switched all day. TSM isn’t even great for little ones due to the 3D glasses. Even AS2 has a height requirement. Have there been any fun pop up entertainment things happening at HS for the little ones?

I don't think it's just DHS. It's the parks that are just opening seeing high demand today. Epcot is seeing pretty high wait times thus far too (Soarin', Frozen and TT all sticking around 40-50). Not high on a normal day, but seems high given limited capacity.

Social distancing at Lightning McQueen Racing Academy. Separated our party of 5 (which we welcomed with 3 teens’ 😂) The best distancing we’ve experienced in park.

Attachments

• 1606BE64-2E33-4BA4-A81E-5890FFA5566D.jpeg
    1606BE64-2E33-4BA4-A81E-5890FFA5566D.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 101
  • F44E0F34-D178-45EE-A2BB-E034743ADCF0.jpeg
    F44E0F34-D178-45EE-A2BB-E034743ADCF0.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 100

This looks good, but it also demonstrates the big problem with DHS. Namely, that its marquee attractions are too clustered together and the design of the park does not encourage traffic flows that spread guests throughout the park (especially without the M&Gs and shows that could hoover up crowds). To be fair, Sunset Boulevard only leads to two attractions, but if the park is close to the capacity Disney set for it, we should see more people here than we do. I'm obviously not in the park, but I imagine there are a lot more people clustered in SW:GE and Toy Story Land (which is probably the least set-up for social distancing) and probably too many for people to social distance as easily as they should be able to.

I don't think it's just DHS. It's the parks that are just opening seeing high demand today. Epcot is seeing pretty high wait times thus far too (Soarin', Frozen and TT all sticking around 40-50). Not high on a normal day, but seems high given limited capacity.

I don’t know, thinking about it I guess I’m not too surprised that wait times at DHS and Epcot are how they are. These two parks had their FP+ tier situation for a reason. Limiting capacity on the attractions seems to be making up for any gains we saw with the lowered park capacity at MK and AK.

This looks good, but it also demonstrates the big problem with DHS. Namely, that its marquee attractions are too clustered together and the design of the park does not encourage traffic flows that spread guests throughout the park (especially without the M&Gs and shows that could hoover up crowds). To be fair, Sunset Boulevard only leads to two attractions, but if the park is close to the capacity Disney set for it, we should see more people here than we do. I'm obviously not in the park, but I imagine there are a lot more people clustered in SW:GE and Toy Story Land (which is probably the least set-up for social distancing) and probably too many for people to social distance as easily as they should be able to.

And it makes sense, because this is what we saw at DHS to a degree before it all shut down during rope drop. Sunset boulevard, despite having two really good attractions, was easily the least crowded area of the three (TSL, SWGE, and Sunset).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter