• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Disney will be starting to walk a fine line if they try to get into actual materials-outside of obvious mesh.
I know people who have sewn filters into their chiffon masks.
You can't see it and I certainly wouldn't allow anyone to handle my mask to check!

They will need to be careful.

That was my first thought. Especially as some of these sport brands come out with masks (Under Armour releasing theirs in August), I think someone of them have some tiny little holes on the first layer (but has multiple layers without the holes).

Lol they want immediate enforcement. They made the ruling after the parks were open for the day, how were guests supposed to know about the new changes? Of course there were going to be people in the parks with masks that were literally just outlawed. No one is thinking before going to the parks that the mask that was OK the day before was suddenly not going to be OK. Man, people just expect too much sometimes.

Sorry for the numbers post 😬 I meant it only as a positive indication for the cast members who work and live in the area.

It’s informative, and appreciated. I don’t mind looking at the numbers, I just don’t like the drama that comes with it every day. As we saw today, it starts bleeding into politics, and thats never a friendly path to go down on message boards

I'm interested to see how this plays out in practice.
Valves are pretty obvious, but mesh-like material I could see being a gray area. Some things are clearly mesh (and im sure people have tried to get away with some wild things), some fabrics are just lighter and I wonder if they may be confused as being mesh-like? It will be interesting to see if this impacts multi-layer chiffon masks since that is a lighter fabric and popular for masks but not actually a mesh.

**Not intending to start a which fabrics work best discussion - just curious how enforcement on this one will go. Hopefully in just a common sense is this a functioning mask way ;)
I think the mesh masks they're talking about are very obviously mesh, there is no mistaking it, the people might as well not even be wearing anything. I saw someone at the store yesterday wearing one in a heated argument with a Kroger employee (since they require masks now). She had a hot pink mesh mask that I think I've seen advertised online over the last few weeks, and it provided zero protection.....but it went over her mouth and nose so as long as the store wasn't clear about what kind of mask needed to be worn she could technically wear it no problem.

That was my first thought. Especially as some of these sport brands come out with masks (Under Armour releasing theirs in August), I think someone of them have some tiny little holes on the first layer (but has multiple layers without the holes).

I’ll be upset if the UA masks aren’t allowed in the parks. From the reviews I’ve seen theyre as breathable as paper masks, and as comfortable as cloth masks. $30 for a damn mask is outrageous, since I would hope that masks aren’t necessary this time next year, but as a runner, I’d like to have something comfortable and breathable while being effective when I’m out for my runs around the neighborhood/town

I’ll be upset if the UA masks aren’t allowed in the parks. From the reviews I’ve seen theyre as breathable as paper masks, and as comfortable as cloth masks. $30 for a damn mask is outrageous, since I would hope that masks aren’t necessary this time next year, but as a runner, I’d like to have something comfortable and breathable while being effective when I’m out for my runs around the neighborhood/town

I have the addidas ones, and those are great to breathe in, but it's just a hair to small. Hurts my ears after a while. Pre Ordered the XXL UA mask hoping that'll be great. Ya, the price tag sucks, but UA has always been outrageously overpriced

But it is essential to the Florida economy, it trickles all the way down the supply chain, and has a massive effect on taxes coming in. Have you ever looked at an itimized bill for your resort room? Those taxes go to help pay for all kinds of things, including unemployment. Without a state income tax they need those taxes rolling in from the tourist industry to help pay for stuff. It's not even just about people having jobs, it's about infrastructure support, and making sure they actually have funds to pay people if they do find themselves unemployed.

I think you may have missed the first line of my post - I literally said “Theme parks are vital to FL’s economy.” Yeah, I understand how the economy works. Most of my extended family lives in FL and many of them are impacted by this.

We actually pay property tax as part of our DVC dues, so luckily FL gets those taxes from all of us DVC members whether we travel or not :)

Last edited:

But we don't know how far under capacity they have been. We also do not know if their self imposed capacity limits are actually the same as what their published plan said or were lower for first week or two whilst they finalised and tested processes.

Lots of variables. Disney knows what they all are. We do not.
One of the market watchers discussing the financial side of the shutdown did say disney admitted in their quarterly results they were running at 17% of capacity at Disney World since reopening! Not sure of any number of visitors but I thought they said they would max out at 25% eventually when they announced the reopening but it would grow to that level!

I have the addidas ones, and those are great to breathe in, but it's just a hair to small. Hurts my ears after a while. Pre Ordered the XXL UA mask hoping that'll be great. Ya, the price tag sucks, but UA has always been outrageously overpriced
I agree on both accounts. The addidas ones are by far my favorite. And they are a bit tight- but I'd rather have tight then not be able to breath comfortably.....

One of the market watchers discussing the financial side of the shutdown did say disney admitted in their quarterly results they were running at 17% of capacity at Disney World since reopening! Not sure of any number of visitors but I thought they said they would max out at 25% eventually when they announced the reopening but it would grow to that level!
I heard a report that Universal has been averaging 12,000 guest total per day across their three parks. They averaged just under 60,000 combined total at the three parks the year before.

Disney has not given their report yet since opening. They do so August 4th.

Just curious since WDW has been open a few weeks now. Has there been any confirmed exposures from people that have gone? I know Florida has a bunch of cases and are bound to have someone bring it with them. Or is the news just not going to report on it, even if it did happen.

I doubt ABC would report it, but all other networks would probably jump on the chance to make it seem like someone got Covid because they went to WDW. So apparently the media hasn't been able to find a single case that they can manage to tie to WDW.

Disney has not given their report yet since opening. They do so August 4th.
Then I apologize I believed it thought the quarter ended in June so believed him! Guess we don’t have to worry about his projection that crowds won’t return to precovid levels till 2025

I doubt ABC would report it, but all other networks would probably jump on the chance to make it seem like someone got Covid because they went to WDW. So apparently the media hasn't been able to find a single case that they can manage to tie to WDW.

I’m sure we would hear from somebody on this board if they got sick after visiting WDW. We’re now home for 7 days after a 6 day trip. So far so good for all 5 in my party. . Not quite to the two week mark yet but will report back next weekend.[/ISPOILER]

Last edited:

I’m sure we would hear from somebody on this board if they got sick after visiting WDW. We’re now home for 7 days after a 6 day trip. So far so good for all 5 in my party. . Not quite to the two week mark yet but will report back next weekend.
Same. We were at Disney for 6 nights and the dark side for 3. Been home for two days now. Back home is wayyyy more lax than Disney and people here are not wearing masks and there is now a mandate. My husband and kids keep commenting that we were wayyy more safe at Disney and universal than back home. I’ll report back as we are getting tested this week before resuming normal work/activities and will continue to wear masks as we got so used to wearing them while gone that it’s just second nature now.

exactly, there's other places you can go to discuss numbers

I agree.

Can‘t go back and determine which posts were deleted but I know I’ve had some removed related to Covid numbers. The thing is, I’ve linked actual statistics related to the virus to directly respond to inconsistencies. My posts (and several others) were deleted but the false data was left up. I totally understand and respect this isn’t the place for it (I’m new), but consistency is paramount. Leaving up the faulty data from someone who doesn’t have direct knowledge over factual statistics provided by those who actually live in FL seems strange. People come here to plan a vacation and feel confident they will be safe during this pandemic, so seeing fake information and/or posters fear mongering with their own personal opinion is not helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter