Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lastly, I was disappointed that we were only offered $47 each to remove ph plus from our 10 day plus flex tickets bought in 2019. Bad form on Disney’s part, IMO. GR manager was ver nice and sympathetic but hands were tied.

We are heading down the end of November and also have PH tickets. I'm happy to hear that they are offering some sort of refund. Where did you go to get the refund?

That Splash boat 😨

I really don’t think most people would comply with a CM to stay in the boat when “land” is right there and it’s literally sinking. Not everyone is expert enough to know how deep it is to predict what would happen, and having a child in there would have been scary. That’s over their heads. Even a tall adult would be sitting there with just their head out.

I remember when people were upset when the lap bars were installed because of fear of this kind of scenario, but I maybe stupidly didn’t think the logs could go under that deep. Did the CMs release the lap bars but then expect the people to sit in the boat, or is there another way?

Maybe they were told to stay in the boat through speaker once the cm at the video controls saw what was happening. We can't know the whole story from a 10 second clip

The clip also doesn’t show the boat before they got out. It is highly likely it was the act of them exiting the boat that caused it to fill up and sink. While in the boat it may have only had a couple of inches of water and they panicked anyway. I honestly don’t know how I’d react in the situation but from the safety of my couch I say they should have stayed in the boat until assistance arrived.

Did the CMs release the lap bars but then expect the people to sit in the boat, or is there another way?

This, to me, is a deep concern. Is the lap bar limited on the downward/set position such that a self-evacuation is possible? If it does require a CM to release it, then I find that to be a serious risk.

I can't tell, but have to believe there was a lot of water in the bottom to prompt them to want to get out. I think if it got to a foot deep I would be getting ready. At seat height I'd be scrambling to get out if adjacent to a safe spot. I'd be worried the log could roll and cause serious injury or death if that happened. Also, I'd be thinking, great, fully soaked. Are they going to take me back to my hotel and refund my park day? Or make me ride the bus? And, there goes my phone (normally sheltered in a plastic bag, but not going to survive being submerged.) Is Disney going to take me to a dealer and buy me a new one today, because I can't visit the parks without it.

That Splash boat 😨

I really don’t think most people would comply with a CM to stay in the boat when “land” is right there and it’s literally sinking. Not everyone is expert enough to know how deep it is to predict what would happen, and having a child in there would have been scary. That’s over their heads. Even a tall adult would be sitting there with just their head out.

I remember when people were upset when the lap bars were installed because of fear of this kind of scenario, but I maybe stupidly didn’t think the logs could go under that deep. Did the CMs release the lap bars but then expect the people to sit in the boat, or is there another way?

I didn’t think it was this deep, either! That surprised me more than anything.

Other tweets say they had to slide out from under the bars - they weren’t released by CMs.

I can't tell, but have to believe there was a lot of water in the bottom to prompt them to want to get out. I think if it got to a foot deep I would be getting ready. At seat height I'd be scrambling to get out if adjacent to a safe spot. I'd be worried the log could roll and cause serious injury or death if that happened. Also, I'd be thinking, great, fully soaked. Are they going to take me back to my hotel and refund my park day? Or make me ride the bus? And, there goes my phone (normally sheltered in a plastic bag, but not going to survive being submerged.) Is Disney going to take me to a dealer and buy me a new one today, because I can't visit the parks without it.

They may have gave some new clothes. One trip my son had thrown up all over hisself and me while eating at HS. It was quite the moment. The staff was so helpful and nice having to come clean it up and they gave us a gift certificate to immediately go purchase some new clothes

I didn’t think it was this deep, either! That surprised me more than anything.

Other tweets say they had to slide out from under the bars - they weren’t released by CMs.

Again, if that before pic is literally just before they got out then they are the reason the boat sunk. That little bit of water in the bottom of the boat is not a serious risk.

This, to me, is a deep concern. Is the lap bar limited on the downward/set position such that a self-evacuation is possible? If it does require a CM to release it, then I find that to be a serious risk.
to my understanding too, the only safety measure that the lap bars provide is to prevent people from injuring themselves by getting out, in other situations (should a boat sink and somehow capsize) they are only a risk. When they added them a few years ago I was concerned though it’s probably irrational.

The clip also doesn’t show the boat before they got out. It is highly likely it was the act of them exiting the boat that caused it to fill up and sink. While in the boat it may have only had a couple of inches of water and they panicked anyway. I honestly don’t know how I’d react in the situation but from the safety of my couch I say they should have stayed in the boat until assistance arrived.

That is most likely what happened. Water is often in the boat regardless. They stopped the ride for some other reason, causes a "wave" causing some more water to come in, but nowhere near enough to be an issue. Couple of riders panic and begin getting out which will lower sections of the boat thus allowing more water to get in and "sink" the boat. Especially since the boats are not full with with the covid restrictions. So the act of the people getting out caused the boat to sink and out others in danger and then also the riders are now in an unsafe area, making things much worse.

It depends on the people. If there’s a significant size difference between the two people, the smaller person would be able to get out easily. Even when I ride by myself, the bar has never gone down far enough that I couldn’t get out if I wanted to (I never have).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter