Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do masks need to go under your chin or to the bottom of your chin? Just finished making one and I forgot about seam allowances. It goes to the bottom of my chin but not under. Dunno if that meets Disneys standards as I haven’t been yet.

As per WDW Know Before You Go Page: (Won't let me link since I'm still a noob)

All face coverings (whether disposable or reusable) must:
  • Be made with at least 2 layers of breathable material
  • Fully cover the nose and mouth and secure under the chin
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops and allow the Guest to remain hands-free

Serious question. Not being critical - everyone has their right to their own opinion and comfort level during this.

Do you feel you will catch the virus if an infected person bumps into you briefly? In a pool? Outside? I'm not rushing into a crowded indoor pool anytime soon, but I feel outside pools are relatively safe.

It’s not that I’m afraid of the virus, its more that even on the off chance that it could transfer through chlorine, water, open air, and someone that bumps into me accidentally in the pool has it, I dont want to bring it back home, or into the parks. I’m just personally trying to take precautions, not for myself, but for everyone else. I’m pretty confident in my ability to avoid situations in the parks, around the resort, etc. but for some reason the pool is what I’m most iffy about.

We went to the pools at Boardwalk and Grand Floridian. At both pools people were mostly mindful, but you do have the occasional kid that isn't being supervised and isn't distancing. I will say it is happening much less than normal and I was completely comfortable at both pools.
I can only speak for universal pools: the adults, yes. The children, no. Children were great at the parks. At the pool we kept having to swim away. I would imagine Disney is similar.

Thanks for the responses. Seems more like pre-covid pool situations just maybe dialed down a little.

Anyone been to the pools at the resorts?

I feel like at least 100 times per trip I’m having children and adults either swim into my legs or backing into me on accident. And this happens even if the pools are empty. I guess what I’m asking, are people being more mindful and aware of their surroundings inside of the pools during these new times?
We went to Banana Cabana at Caribbean Beach the other day. Didn't go in the pool. From the outside, it looked like people were maintaining distance within the pool, but when the pool closed at 9 pm, everyone filed to the chairs at once to gather their things. That turned into a big group of people on the deck without masks. (We heard lots of groups say they were headed to the smaller pools.) A lot of people around us also thought that the pool and bar closed at 10, and seemed surprised at the "early" closing - idk what the bar is normally like, but a decent line to order formed and it was somewhat difficult to distance.

2 weeks ago, we noticed a large group of CMs outside the new Club 33 locale in AK. They were dressed in typical Character attendant costume, with trash grabbers. They were all talking to a couple of guests. From what I overheard as we walked by, they were all non-equity Festival of the Lion king dancers. I thought that was random, but at least they have a job to work!
I saw a similar group last week at AK. I passed them as I was going from Africa to Pandora. They were just strolling along. I couldn’t figure out what their function was. There were like 8 of them. Also, as I passed the Festival of the Lion King several times, I kept seeing a lonely CM standing steadfastly at his post in front of the non-existent queue. I thought at the time, that might be an opportunity for a budget cut, not that I want to see anyone laid off.

As per WDW Know Before You Go Page: (Won't let me link since I'm still a noob)

All face coverings (whether disposable or reusable) must:
  • Be made with at least 2 layers of breathable material
  • Fully cover the nose and mouth and secure under the chin
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops and allow the Guest to remain hands-free

I’ve read that. But under the chin could mean bottom of chin or could mean inches under chin. They don’t specify.

Being inside A/C is one of the theories why Florida/Texas/Arizaon/California saw these massive spikes in July. It's hot .. more people congregate inside A/C spaces and thus more cases.
Exactly. It’s the same reason flu season is in the winter, when people spend more of their time indoors. Being outdoors in Florida’s heat and humidity should be a lower risk than being congregated with people in cool, enclosed air.

It’s not that I’m afraid of the virus, its more that even on the off chance that it could transfer through chlorine, water, open air, and someone that bumps into me accidentally in the pool has it, I dont want to bring it back home, or into the parks. I’m just personally trying to take precautions, not for myself, but for everyone else. I’m pretty confident in my ability to avoid situations in the parks, around the resort, etc. but for some reason the pool is what I’m most iffy about.

Thanks for the responses. Seems more like pre-covid pool situations just maybe dialed down a little.

I don’t blame you. I do not care for the pools at Disney. Too many people, kids probably peeing, people constantly bumping into you. We don’t really plan pool days.

I don’t blame you. I do not care for the pools at Disney. Too many people, kids probably peeing, people constantly bumping into you. We don’t really plan pool days.

Every time I take the kiddo to the pool, I always say “Let’s head down to the ool”. Said it for years. FINALLY, this past trip he asked why I always call it an ool.

Basking in Dad joke glory I told him “Because I don’t want to get into something with P in it!”

He just gave me an odd look.

No need to be rude. Others on here who have been seemed to think it would be fine.
I think you may end up touching your mask to readjust it more frequently because it will ride up as you talk. Having a mask secured under your chin prevents it from riding up and it provides a better seal. That’s why Disney requires it to be secure under the chin. You may want to try wearing it all day to see if it will stay put.

As far as the pool thing at Pop a few weeks ago I would say distancing (mostly by children) was not good in the water. Kids just love the water and entirely forget about personal space and how I don't want them to cannonball and make a huge splash 2 feet from my head.

Also I was almost hit in the face by a rogue ball three times by the same family that was either (apparently unsuccessfully) playing catch or just trying to test my dodge ability. So basically the in water pool situation was pretty pre-covid normal IMO 😂

Personally that part didn't bother me from a virus standpoint because it's a pool full of chlorine, but to each their own. I just don't like getting hit in the face with stuff 😉

Every time I take the kiddo to the pool, I always say “Let’s head down to the ool”. Said it for years. FINALLY, this past trip he asked why I always call it an ool.

Basking in Dad joke glory I told him “Because I don’t want to get into something with P in it!”

He just gave me an odd look.

I sincerely appreciate your dedication to this joke. A multi-year set-up just waiting for the opportunity to deliver the punchline? Truly, truly impressive.

I’ve had some bad experiences in Disney pools.

Needed to be resuscitated back to life by a lifeguard at River Country when I was 5

Had my nose broken by a dad throwing is elbow in my face when having a catch with his son in the pool when I was 11.

Went down the slide at Polynesian a few years ago and midway through the slide there was a dirty diaper with an unavoidable brown streak going down the middle of the pathway.

So I’m a little cautious in general at Disney pools, add covid into the mix and Its anxiety inducing lol.

The biggest issue I saw was when they were doing the pool games. There was a trivia game that you swam to one side or the other for your answer to a question. Adults and kids were gathered in big groups at the GF pool. I pulled my kids to the shallow end to play the game away from the crowd.

Serious question. Not being critical - everyone has their right to their own opinion and comfort level during this.

Do you feel you will catch the virus if an infected person bumps into you briefly? In a pool? Outside? I'm not rushing into a crowded indoor pool anytime soon, but I feel outside pools are relatively safe.

From what I've heard (and know of viruses) ...the opposite seems to be true: prolonged contact (10+ minues) near an infected person, usually indoors, where you are sharing the same "breathing" space. That's why I am surprised that Disney actually opened a lot of its theater attractions (like Philharmagic). Even distanced .. you have a lot of people sharing the same recirculated air space and I am sure a lot of people take that break in the darkness to pull the mask off (I know I would if I needed a breath of fresh air).

Being inside A/C is one of the theories why Florida/Texas/Arizaon/California saw these massive spikes in July. It's hot .. more people congregate inside A/C spaces and thus more cases.

My point is .. complete 6 foot social distancing in a public place (even with capacity restrictions) is practically impossible. .. I wouldn't fret about the occasional bump -- or walking past someone who isn't wearing a mask. We need to be careful, but not afraid that the virus is lurking around every corner.

Without a vaccine (and who knows when will ever show up and be readily available) .. we need to get comfortable again having close interactions with people (with and without masks, with and without social distancing) ... on vacations, at work, at stores, at schools, to be able to get those industries back to "normal" (or closer to it).

One concern I have with pools is that even though outside, if someone pops up from swimming underwater, there often a big exhale (even spitting) from holding their breath. Especially with kids. If that happens right next to you, that’s not so great. Also lots of shouting in pools - kids to their parents, kids to each other, parents to their kids, etc. Also lots of heavy breathing amongst the very active kids. Just lots of respiratory activity. I’d be fine with it if people were distanced, but personally uncomfortable if people were close to me, outside or not. IMO, it’s different than just walking by someone outside closely considering the physical activity, shouting, heavy breathing and exhaling after holding breath.

I don’t need to get comfortable having close interactions with people right now. In 5 months - from March until now - we’ve learned so much more about how covid is spread and how to treat it. More time means more knowledge. More knowledge about antibodies/immunity. Maybe there won’t ever be a vaccine, but perhaps there will be an effective antiviral treatment. Just because I’m not going to jump into close contact with people right now doesn’t mean I’m going to live under a rock forever either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter