Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a lot of people that will not go to Disney (or Universal) while masks are required in hot, humid weather. I know that is the deal breaker for us. August and September were always bad enough without masks and it is not worth risking heat exhaustion with this requirement.
I'm going to cancel my first week of Dec trip because of masks...not because I don't believe in them but because I don't want to vacation in them.

The heat never bothers me, Ive never had an issue when I go down there other than at Animal Kingdom. I usually take mid-day breaks just to get away from people for a little while. So early mornings and the last 2-3 hours works perfectly for my usual schedule
I agree, the August AK heat is the killer for us. Early morning and back in evening.

Probably.

As my mind wanders on a boring Monday - I'm thinking about all the people who will be fumbling with their phones in line to get in the park (assuming you use app on phone as ticket).
Trying to find in bag, finding app, opening app, unlocking phone, app taking forever to load. Would parent's have their kids tickets on their phone and just scan everyone in?

In a perfect world everyone would have app open and ready to go by the time it's their turn.
In a perfect world. :D
My mind also went to seeing throngs of people fumbling with phones at the park entrance 🤦🏻‍♀️

There's also a discussion about MBs going on on the AP FB page today. Lots of confusion about whether there simply won't be any free MBs anymore, or if MBs are being phased out altogether (and then complaints about not wanting to use phones for everything) - so not unlike the discussion here. I've also read several comments saying they like MaxPass but hate taking their phones out all the time, and/or are DL regulars who went to WDW and loved MBs.

Someone did complain that they are "so sick and tired of going to the parks since Covid" bc they're repeatedly told to use the app (MDE) to preorder food, but then "when you ask a cast member how or where to go in the $&@$ thing they can't help you." By FAR, the area where we saw the most guest frustration a couple weeks ago was outside Pecos, closely followed by the areas outside other QS (and sit down) restaurants. Lots of frustrated people who didn't like the idea of scanning QR codes (several didn't work), didn't want to have to preorder food on their phones, said they didn't have/won't download any app,... The poor CMs outside Pecos especially were being yelled at and generally treated poorly. I can't imagine that if MBs are phased out entirely and there's a greater focus on using an app for everything, things would be any better. Hopefully whoever makes the decisions considers guest satisfaction and the effects on the poor CMs as a result.

I'm going to cancel my first week of Dec trip because of masks...not because I don't believe in them but because I don't want to vacation in them.
I'm going the first week of December because of the masks. I have to wear them everywhere I go for work and have been traveling for work all year. I need a vacation and will take it anyway I can get it. :tigger:

Someone did complain that they are "so sick and tired of going to the parks since Covid" bc they're repeatedly told to use the app (MDE) to preorder food, but then "when you ask a cast member how or where to go in the $&@$ thing they can't help you." By FAR, the area where we saw the most guest frustration a couple weeks ago was outside Pecos, closely followed by the areas outside other QS (and sit down) restaurants. Lots of frustrated people who didn't like the idea of scanning QR codes (several didn't work), didn't want to have to preorder food on their phones, said they didn't have/won't download any app,... The poor CMs outside Pecos especially were being yelled at and generally treated poorly. I can't imagine that if MBs are phased out entirely and there's a greater focus on using an app for everything, things would be any better. Hopefully whoever makes the decisions considers guest satisfaction and the effects on the poor CMs as a result.

I saw someone else post on Facebook that they wanted to go eat somewhere (I believe it was Sautu'li) and the CM out front said they had to mobile order but the guest responded their phone was out of power so wasn't able to

So definitely feel like going forward they can't rely solely on phones - be it people out of power of wifi issues or international people that don't have service, people who don't have a smart phone, etc.

I was always under impression that they would still be available for purchase to use instead of phone? It's just you won't get free ones automatically anymore.

How would the photo-pass work on the rides? Would we have to keep our phones outs, app open?
I know no one knows yet, just thinking aloud.

I agree. It's a huge money maker for Disney. Why phase out something in favor of a free app that has no revenue associated with it? I see why they are doing away with free bands, but I don't see them giving up the $14.99-$34.95 per band that a lot of people spend. My boyfriend and I have accumulated just short of 50 of them in the past 3 years.

FWIW I was at Epcot last week in the 95 degree heat and I got one of those TOMMIE COPPER masks you see on tv. First time i wore it in the heat and It held up really really well . Much better than the blue disposable ones.

Maybe something to consider for your future trips.

Tried out the tommie copper ones as well. Not sure if I like it or not. I also have the addias ones and I found those to breathe easier, but it hurts my ears more (as it's pretty tight). But the tommie was better around my ears. The problem I found with those was it must be a little big around my face because I found when I breathed in and out, the mask would move in and out (if that makes sense) meaning I would suck in part of the mask and breathe it out .

just back from Mk where I roped drop and today was definitely emptier than last Tuesday, at least until noon. Empty, empty, 7DMT showed 20 min but the line was inside so I don't think that was accurate, walk on to PP, Dumbo rode twice without having to get out cause I was the only one on it, Barnstormer, Teacups, watched the 10:30am Country Bears and on to Tom Sawyer island at 11am., mobile ordered at Pecos Bill at 11:30 with no wait, food was delicious and fresh
Fun to see Halloween merch at Emporium. Saw all character cavalcades as well.
For those coming soon rope drop cannot be beat, do the big rides first thing and you will have no issues, also a lot more CM reminding people to keep masks on on the rides and show

Tried out the tommie copper ones as well. Not sure if I like it or not. I also have the addias ones and I found those to breathe easier, but it hurts my ears more (as it's pretty tight). But the tommie was better around my ears. The problem I found with those was it must be a little big around my face because I found when I breathed in and out, the mask would move in and out (if that makes sense) meaning I would suck in part of the mask and breathe it out .
Yes they do run a little big.
My friend she got a kids size and worked better for her.

They had a Universal commercial during the NHL playoff game between the Blues and Canucks last night. It was for their buy 2 days, get 2 days free deal.

just back from Mk where I roped drop and today was definitely emptier than last Tuesday, at least until noon. Empty, empty, 7DMT showed 20 min but the line was inside so I don't think that was accurate, walk on to PP, Dumbo rode twice without having to get out cause I was the only one on it, Barnstormer, Teacups, watched the 10:30am Country Bears and on to Tom Sawyer island at 11am., mobile ordered at Pecos Bill at 11:30 with no wait, food was delicious and fresh
For those coming soon rope drop cannot be beat, do the big rides first thing and you will have no issues, also a lot more CM reminding people to keep masks on on the rides and show
This sounds great. Thanks for the report. I’ll be there 2 weeks from today!!

Rope drop AND avoid weekends!! Or maybe just Saturdays.

Jealous of your day :)

I agree. It's a huge money maker for Disney. Why phase out something in favor of a free app that has no revenue associated with it? I see why they are doing away with free bands, but I don't see them giving up the $14.99-$34.95 per band that a lot of people spend. My boyfriend and I have accumulated just short of 50 of them in the past 3 years.

Disney must have something better coming. Or the MB aren’t the revenue generators we all suspect.

Joah Love are expensive, but so incredibly comfortable. Easy to breath in and the ear part is so comfortable.

My mind also went to seeing throngs of people fumbling with phones at the park entrance 🤦🏻‍♀️

There's also a discussion about MBs going on on the AP FB page today. Lots of confusion about whether there simply won't be any free MBs anymore, or if MBs are being phased out altogether (and then complaints about not wanting to use phones for everything) - so not unlike the discussion here. I've also read several comments saying they like MaxPass but hate taking their phones out all the time, and/or are DL regulars who went to WDW and loved MBs.

Just wait until they get an international crowd back. Bet those folks will be thrilled to eat through their data plans for Disney’s app...

I saw someone else post on Facebook that they wanted to go eat somewhere (I believe it was Sautu'li) and the CM out front said they had to mobile order but the guest responded their phone was out of power so wasn't able to

So definitely feel like going forward they can't rely solely on phones - be it people out of power of wifi issues or international people that don't have service, people who don't have a smart phone, etc.
People who don’t speak English... I just thought of that one. I’ve seen so many people just gesturing to the picture to order... sheesh, What a mess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter