Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have not read all the posts but apparently rumor has it that the Ceremonial House will change into a Moana themed space
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/tra...0200831-msbc6ycgprb23grxb6p7fxizjm-story.html
A Disney World spokeswoman on Monday said changes to the rooms will include a move to a Pacific Ocean-inspired color palette as well as details, patterns and textures from Disney’s “Moana,” an animated film that takes place on the Polynesian island of Motunui.
I got to go inside an Updated room on the 3rd floor of Roratonga in October and the wallpaper was moana themed. The room was definitely an upgrade. The wallpaper didn’t match the rest of the colors of the room, but it was still nice.

For those that are hopeful for fireworks. This is quoted from markc at WDWmagic.

Internally, the discussions around the procedures and offerings in Florida are being done with California in mind. What does that mean? Basically - they want to show to Gov Newsom that the procedures in Florida are stringent and safe and dont threaten the health of either the workers or the guests. Fireworks have been deemed an offering that is counter to that due to the crowd gathering aspect (it's even more of an issue in California where crowds will gather in Downtown Disney to watch the fireworks for free without having to go into the parks). Any offering or lapse in judgement in Florida may hinder Disneyland's ability to reopen, therefore they aren't doing anything that will jeopardize that.

Last edited:
Looks like some discounts have dropped:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/special-offers/magic-is-here-vacation-package/https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/special-offers/magic-is-here-room/
Edit: typo :)

Edit #2: Looks like AP resort discounts will be extended to December 25 based on the fine print, the text isn't completely updated yet. Still says through Sept but book through 12/25. When I click the page it brings me to the "Returning to the Magic" page.
I’m bummed Ohio isn’t included :( maybe something else will be offered by November but if not we will still go if it seems safe.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/special-offers/magic-is-here-vacation-package/https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/special-offers/magic-is-here-room/

Edit #2: Looks like AP resort discounts will be extended to December 25 based on the fine print, the text isn't completely updated yet. Still says through Sept but book through 12/25. When I click the page it brings me to the "Returning to the Magic" page.

This looks to average about 5-7% off rack rates, not enough to move the needle. Our family of 3 would have saved about 180 dollars on the 4 night deal while staying at Pop. Again, while 180 bucks is a night out at Disney Springs it is likely not enough to entice people who are most likely suffering economically to make a trip to Orlando.

It reeks of corporatism and “doing something just to do something”. Travel crash is coming after Labor Day, these deals will do little to prevent that from happening. Getting 50 cents off a Big Mac doesn’t cause people to race to McDonalds. Value and cost are two different things, while the slight savings might be a “value” for someone who already doesn’t need the discount, the “cost” of the trip isn’t lowered enough for John Q Public to go.

This looks to average about 5-7% off rack rates, not enough to move the needle. Our family of 3 would have saved about 180 dollars on the 4 night deal while staying at Pop. Again, while 180 bucks is a night out at Disney Springs it is likely not enough to entice people who are most likely suffering economically to make a trip to Orlando.

It reeks of corporatism and “doing something just to do something”. Travel crash is coming after Labor Day, these deals will do little to prevent that from happening. Getting 50 cents off a Big Mac doesn’t cause people to race to McDonalds. Value and cost are two different things, while the slight savings might be a “value” for someone who already doesn’t need the discount, the “cost” of the trip isn’t lowered enough for John Q Public to go.
I think the perspective is anyone who wants to go to WDW bad enough to come from a non-Chosen State is willing to pay rack rate anyway.

Personally I think they’ll end up exactly where they already are- pushing out rooms on big discounts to APs and bigger discounts to CMs wondering why there just isn’t the hotel demand they anticipated? 🙄

I'm sad that it's targeted to so few states. We are coming from Michigan. We had a DVC rental for the end of September (bought the cancel for any reason add-on) and we cancelled. We moved the trip to the end of November, beginning of December and I have a CBR reservation for slightly less than rack rate. I've never paid rack rate for a trip.

For us, the package "discount" would cost us more. I was hoping for a room discount but like I said, we are from Ohio so locked out. We already have tickets - bought the 4 day magic ticket from UT in January for when the trip was originally planned later this month. I priced out what we paid for those tickets and our rack rate at AoA and the "discount" is about $500 more. We are fine still going and booked AoA figuring there would be no discounts. And I know in the past those rooms very rarely had discounts anyways! We just wanted something different from POP but trying to keep the price down with everything that happened. Airline credits (and the current price of airfare!) and previously bought tickets definitely helped!

Giving incentive to people to fly down to them might cause bad optics. But I can’t imagine the “outrage” would last more than 24-48 hours just like Disney re-opening. Haven’t heard “Disney shouldn’t be open” (other than people that hate Disney here) since July 13th, and if you’ve been to Disney since then, you’d know why. Now, Universal on the other hand. They were close to Disney Springs on Saturday night with mask compliance yesterday, but being able to ride Hagrids multiple times was very much worth having to avoid those people

A discount at targeted states like that and another nothing discount says to me they aren’t afraid of how discounting would look, rather they know there are large groups they still cannot motivate to come without it costing them more in lost revenue. Hence the drive market discounts.

How frustrating for those outside those states though!

I wonder how long Disneyland would have to continue to stay closed for Californians struggling with their forced Disney Sobriety to come to WDW. Maybe it’s only me that sees it, but I feel like more East coasters are willing to go to DLR than Californians coming to WDW. If Disneyland can’t open until 2021, could we see an uptick in DL APs making the trip to WDW?

Giving incentive to people to fly down to them might cause bad optics. But I can’t imagine the “outrage” would last more than 24-48 hours just like Disney re-opening. Haven’t heard “Disney shouldn’t be open” (other than people that hate Disney here) since July 13th, and if you’ve been to Disney since then, you’d know why. Now, Universal on the other hand. They were close to Disney Springs on Saturday night with mask compliance yesterday, but being able to ride Hagrids multiple times was very much worth having to avoid those people

That was my first thought - especially for states with travel restrictions to Florida, not great optics

Plus I think they are just trying to motivate people who can drive and might be on the fence to go ahead and come

Just now sure *how much* this will helps, but I also assume Disney has access to a ton a data we don't. Didn't they do a survey not that long ago? Maybe it showed that people from the neighboring states felt more comfortable traveling to WDW/Florida in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter