Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly have no problems with restrictions. I fully expect them. 25% capacity is no issue, reservations sure, even waiting for a certain tier is fine. I take more issues with the even further guidelines. Like no indoor queueing.

If a theme park reaches the tier to be allowed to open then why can't you queue in doors? Movie theaters are allowed to be open in select tiers in CA. I don't get why that is allowed but then you can't queue indoors?

But even with a vaccine, theres no guarantee you get under 2% positivity rate, which is needed to open at 25% with no indoor rides. Its actually very unlikely even with a vaccine. This is a virus that will likely be around for years, if not decades. Probably not as dangerous as time goes on as it currently is, and what it was when it first arrived. But its still a virus, and because of how widespread it became, its highly unlikely to just go away any time soon.

So in order for stadiums, theme parks, concert venues to open up it’ll take

- Lawsuits
- Newsom lightening up on requirements
- New leadership in the state
San Francisco entered the yellow tier today.

I seriously doubt that was the case.
I think it just proved his case and he went "see?! Lines are out the queue areas and the walk ways are crowded! People from all over the place so close to each other!" it just drove it home to him without a second thought. Now, if the line situation was different, maybe it it looked more like it did in the early days of opening he wouldn't have been as tough. Maybe open in Orange? Maybe not have all the stuff about outside queues? Who knows. I was talking to my DH about it once I heard about the spies and said "I don't think they'll like what they see". Who knows if it would change his mind, but it definitely didn't help.

They must have some special "more dangerous" strain of the virus in California that they can't allow things to open like they have in other states.

If theme parks were a vector for the virus (not to say that they can't be .. but obviously the restrictions must help it from going crazy) ... wouldn't the Florida numbers have spiked after the parks (including non-Disney) opened in June/July? yet they have done nothing but drop SINCE all the parks were open in July.
Nah. You see science is different in CA.

(Don’t ask me how, we the public aren’t allowed to see the science this based on.)

I think it just proved his case and he went "see?! Lines are out the queue areas and the walk ways are crowded! People from all over the place so close to each other!" it just drove it home to him without a second thought. Now, if the line situation was different, maybe it it looked more like it did in the early days of opening he wouldn't have been as tough. Maybe open in Orange? Maybe not have all the stuff about outside queues? Who knows. I was talking to my DH about it once I heard about the spies and said "I don't think they'll like what they see". Who knows if it would change his mind, but it definitely didn't help.

Wouldnt that help their (Disney’s) case? Queuing that long is due to social distancing. If you dont have the ridiculously long lines then it either means the park is absolutely deserted, or Disney isnt abiding to 6’ of distancing.

But even with a vaccine, theres no guarantee you get under 2% positivity rate, which is needed to open at 25% with no indoor rides. Its actually very unlikely even with a vaccine. This is a virus that will likely be around for years, if not decades. Probably not as dangerous as time goes on as it currently is, and what it was when it first arrived. But its still a virus, and because of how widespread it became, its highly unlikely to just go away any time soon.

- Lawsuits

Dont forget, he also said even if the counties get to yellow, if they jump back up to orange these things get taken away. So its not just targeting for yellow and all systems a-go. You need to get to yellow and stay there
Yeah jumping back is a huge risk. That could devastate a small park that put the end of its money into opening and then bam! Closed.

Somewhat off topic, but this is probably potentially good(?) news on the NBA bubble front for next season. Given they won’t be able to have fans in attendance for Lakers, Clippers, Warriors, or Kings games, they’ll be more likely to do another bubble
Yeah looking pretty good for bubbles for all major sports for next season. I can’t see owners in any of the 4 major leagues wanting to start a new season when at least 3-4 teams would be at an economic disadvantage by not having paying fans. NFL will continue because they’ve already started, but when it comes time for NBA and NHL I’m going to guess bubbles will be a very popular topic (and they both are starting within a week of eachother tentatively).

Please. Are you trying to give me a heart attack?

Gran Destino just reopened. Don't give me anxiety.

:D

Dont forget, he also said even if the counties get to yellow, if they jump back up to orange these things get taken away. So its not just targeting for yellow and all systems a-go. You need to get to yellow and stay there
Which is not possible. The false positive rate alone will keep them out of yellow. It’s impossible to get below two percent since that is within false positive range, hence why they are plateauing at 3%. Basically set up for failure.

San Francisco entered the yellow tier today.
Despite my cynicism this gave me hope. It should not have.

SF rate per 100k is 2.5. They tested more residents per capita than anyone else in the state so they got “adjusted” to 1.5. I have yet to see why they’re being allowed into yellow when the threshold for that is 1. Maybe they got a special exemption as the state does have that right 🙄

Which is not possible. The false positive rate alone will keep them out of yellow. It’s impossible to get below two percent since that is within false positive range, hence why they are plateauing at 3%. Basically set up for failure.
Edit: (Thanks for answering - somewhat misunderstood the requirements)

Get ready for a long Winter.

How about our useless federal government passes a stimulus package? Hospitality/Tourism needs it. Demand isn't magically coming back if every business was allowed to go full capacity today. Its not even close to that simple..

Edit: Disney P.R. striking out

Last edited:
Are you saying that it's impossible to have a state positivity rate below 2%? We have been in CT for months.

We just started spiking this past week (2.4% last Friday) and a new high today since June of 3% positivity.

This isn't a good trend and seems to be mild compared to what the rest of the country is dealing with. Get ready for a long Winter.

How about our useless federal government passes a stimulus package? Hospitality/Tourism needs it. Demand isn't magically coming back if every business was allowed to go full capacity today. Its not even close to that simple..

I think the impossibility they were referring to was not only getting to that %, but staying there. Now if they get to yellow, open DLR and UH, stay in yellow for a month or two, but numbers creep up into the Orange tier, but not trending much more, then maybe Newsom would reconsider his stance on shutting things down if theres a small jump in cases. But if thats not the case, then theres no much of a chance for Disneyland or Universal to not only open back up, but stay open.

Are you saying that it's impossible to have a state positivity rate below 2%? We have been in CT for months.

We just started spiking this past week (2.4% last Friday) and a new high today since June of 3% positivity.

This isn't a good trend and seems to be mild compared to what the rest of the country is dealing with. Get ready for a long Winter.

I am saying that according to CA guidelines you need less than one new case per day per 100K people. That is not feasible with the false positive rate.

- Lawsuits

yes but in time even come spring most likely we won’t be testing in droves like we are now and catching all these asymptomatic cases. Look up flu it’s the same way saying that about 40-60% of flu cases have no symptoms but most don’t rest for it unless they have symptoms

I’m not necessarily sure it’s fair to compare a state the size of CT to CA.

just a reminder while we all have our opinions discussions on the politics aren’t allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter