Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im at work right now taking my break under Mako, heard ambassador over speaker system say "if you're not wearing a mask you won't be riding mako " I'm assuming she saw people on the queue.
My DD told me that at MFSR they won't stop the ride if they see someone not wearing the mask cause it messes up the entire turntable but they will tell them when they step out of the ride

If you want to avoid long waits, yeah, you might want to get there earlier. But if the problem is crowding at that point in the day, I'm not sure an early arrival would really change that. I'm not sure anyone could feasibly get through everything they wanted to do in MK by noon with a 9am arrival.

My touring strategy point was more towards doing the rides in Fantasyland before or after the crowds. I realize early or late arrival won't change mid day crowding, but unless you just have to be in Fantasyland mid day why would you be there if you had already gone there earlier or planned to later? And I didn't see where the OP had stated they planned to leave after an hour or 2, only that they weren't comfortable and decided then to leave.

Here I’m thinking it’s a Monday afternoon, how is this possible. Thanksgiving week. Duh. Maybe it’s because I don’t usually travel to vacation destinations for Thanksgiving, but do people really go down this early? I figured tomorrow or Wednesday would be the start of people’s thanksgiving vacations.

We went down on Friday before last year. My kid has the entire week off. :) We'll do the same next year.

ETA: last year we were at the MK on Monday and it was INSANE. INSANE.

Oddly enough Wednesday and Thursday were the calmest days. Still very busy, but lots of people checking in/out those days.

Here I’m thinking it’s a Monday afternoon, how is this possible. Thanksgiving week. Duh. Maybe it’s because I don’t usually travel to vacation destinations for Thanksgiving, but do people really go down this early? I figured tomorrow or Wednesday would be the start of people’s thanksgiving vacations.
Yeah it was a shock moving to Florida from Long Island, but the schools down here are all closed for the entire week. I was used to the NY schedule where kids got Thursday and Friday and that was it (maybe a 2 hour early dismissal on Wednesday). Seems to be the norm in the south. So people take advantage of it and come for the week.

Yeah it was a shock moving to Florida from Long Island, but the schools down here are all closed for the entire week. I was used to the NY schedule where kids got Thursday and Friday and that was it (maybe a 2 hour early dismissal on Wednesday). Seems to be the norm in the south. So people take advantage of it and come for the week.

Not all Florida schools do. My country does but the two neighboring ones only get w-f off.

All of these “breaks” just throw me off. Fall break. Mid winter break. Jersey week. We never had any of that. Holidays, that was it. And if we were lucky, snow days, but my county was always super stingy with giving those to us unless the roads were a death trap.

I'm a tad scared for crowds later this week. We drive over for Thanksgiving each year and I've never thought crowds were bad ON Thanksgiving. This year, we picked up a super cheap confirmed DVC room so we'll be on-site a few days. Thankfully it looks to be warm enough to swim so if it's uncomfortable, we'll just do other stuff.

The extended queue makes navigating MK very difficult; even back in Sept I found it uncomfortable by Small World and Peter Pan. But of course it's the best park for my kid so we want to go there the most... gah.

Like everyone else said, they won't be around forever. You may see more people choose to keep wearing them, but that's different.

I fully expect Disney to keep the requirement longer than most, but on the flipside of that - if more and more places drop the requirement quicker than we think (we really have no idea what's going to happen with vaccine timeline, just a lot of guessing at this point) and Disney becomes the only holdout (especially in theme-park vacation destinations), I can see that being an issue with people going on vacation. A lot of "I don't have to wear it anywhere but here", or "I'm vaccinated"...Yes, it's their house, their rules, but just saying I can see issues in the future.

I actually think cities, once vaccinations really ramp up, will be quicker to drop mask mandate than most of us are predicting.

I do wish social distancing could stay as I agree it's nice not to have people on top of me.

Anyways, things are looking up!!! :D
I totally agree. Disney may keep masks around longer than other institutions, but not to the point that it's hurting their business because people now have other options. Maybe it's my bias against masks, but I think they will go away faster than everyone is predicting (assuming the vaccine news turns out to be reliable).

If you want to avoid long waits, yeah, you might want to get there earlier. But if the problem is crowding at that point in the day, I'm not sure an early arrival would really change that. I'm not sure anyone could feasibly get through everything they wanted to do in MK by noon with a 9am arrival.

Agreed. We weren’t there for short waits. Just ride a couple attractions and move on. We walked around all but Adventure land and all lands were packed. It wasn’t just that Fantasyland funnel. If we go earlier or not, the crowd is still going to be there at 11. The least crowd was in the hub and Main Street. I also agree with a previous statement that the park isn’t designed for how it needs to be used currently. For sure it is not designed for spacing. However, they can control that through capacity. Personally I think they are running on a fine line with the current max capacity at MK vs safety. Not just for guests, but CMs alike. The CM that was holding the end of line marker on HM couldn’t even move because she was surrounded by a large group of people. I truly understand that they need to make money, but don’t advertise that you are making a safe environment (and even pushing that in DLC to try to open up there) and have swarms of people that can’t be safely directed through the park.

Maybe the park died down some after I left, I don’t know, but I didn’t feel safe enough to stick it out. If others felt completely fine there today (which based on the crowds there were plenty) then good for them, I hope they all had a fantastic day and continue to have a great visit. There just wasn’t enough at the hub and Main Street to keep our interest for today.

We are APs that visit quarterly (or at least until 2020). We are okay with not riding much and today we made lemonade out of lemons. A little while ago we checked out Winter Summerland. Something our son has wanted to do for years. We had a great time. After while we are going to eat at WL and then swing into the MK again to see the castle projections if the crowds aren’t too crazy.

EDIT: Running a fine line at MK.

Last edited:
My touring strategy point was more towards doing the rides in Fantasyland before or after the crowds. I realize early or late arrival won't change mid day crowding, but unless you just have to be in Fantasyland mid day why would you be there if you had already gone there earlier or planned to later? And I didn't see where the OP had stated they planned to leave after an hour or 2, only that they weren't comfortable and decided then to leave.

No biggie. We only went to that section first because we were eating behind the Christmas store in Liberty Square. Figured we were right there and per the MDE app, they were among the lowest wait times.

We’re past the planning the park out point in our WDW careers. We really enjoy walking around and stopping in a line here and there. Of course FP+ used to dictate some of our day for us.

A ton of people who go on these type of vacations probably have a TON of vacation to burn or lose it before the end of the year .. I am pretty much taking off half of the month of November and December simply because I didn't take any vacation earlier this year .. (for obvious reasons).

I am sure a lot of people are starting (or extending) their Thanksgiving vacations .. especially since Florida is open for business and everywhere is closing down.

Castle projection merch, but no stuffed Figments with his holiday sweater, or even the holiday sweater in general. I’m hoping that changes when A Sip of the Holidays festival begins

A ton of people who go on these type of vacations probably have a TON of vacation to burn or lose it before the end of the year .. I am pretty much taking off half of the month of November and December simply because I didn't take any vacation earlier this year .. (for obvious reasons).

I am sure a lot of people are starting (or extending) their Thanksgiving vacations .. especially since Florida is open for business and everywhere is closing down.

I more meant taking kids out. Most adults that are eligible for vacation have accrued most or all of their 2020 vacation days and are using them this time of year, but there are still kids in physical schools and it seems weird that they’d pull them out after missing so much in person schooling this year. But I’m also not a parent so I can only comment from that standpoint

Castle projection merch, but no stuffed Figments with his holiday sweater, or even the holiday sweater in general. I’m hoping that changes when A Sip of the Holidays festival begins

I more meant taking kids out. Most adults that are eligible for vacation have accrued most or all of their 2020 vacation days and are using them this time of year, but there are still kids in physical schools and it seems weird that they’d pull them out after missing so much in person schooling this year. But I’m also not a parent so I can only comment from that standpoint
At this point I think attendance for schools (virtual, physical or otherwise) is just thrown out the window. I doubt a lot of schools are keeping track (or at least not enforcing missing school). I can't speak for my son's school as we pulled him out to home school.

Not sure why it’s weird. I take my kids out every year for our Nov. Disney trips. We are here for two weeks. My kids are in school full time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter