• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The numbers look pretty bad this week on MDE. We’re worried about waits w/out any FP. We’ve never been at Christmas bc of the crowds and we thought this year would be our shot to do it. Crowds and waits look worse than we expected. Just starting to weigh how enjoyable it’ll be. 😔
Agree wait times are looking higher. I watched a few videos from the parks from the past few days as well and I was surprised about how crowded it looked. And it wasn’t only in certain spots, there were crowds all over.

The numbers look pretty bad this week on MDE. We’re worried about waits w/out any FP. We’ve never been at Christmas bc of the crowds and we thought this year would be our shot to do it. Crowds and waits look worse than we expected. Just starting to weigh how enjoyable it’ll be. 😔
I think everything is perspective. Obviously Christmas is going to be worse than a random day other times. This is probably comparable to what Christmas will be. I think it’s also worth noting wait times on the app is not very accurate as of late. You have cleaning cycles built in and most experiences note that wait times are inflated.

Wait times this week are approx. what they will likely be during Xmas week because of capacity constraints. And these wait times are about 1/2 to 1/3 of the wait times during a normal Christmas week.

I have seen Mine Train and Pan exceed 4hrs and FOP exceed 5 hours during Xmas. During xmas week it’s not unheard of to see small world, pirates, haunted mansion etc peak around 2.5-3 hrs well. MK nearing capacity at Xmas during normal times usually means no waits under an hour, barely anything under 90 minutes and all major attractions being around 180 or more. It also means walkways are incredibly packed and difficulty to navigate/walk.

Planning is just as vital now as it was precovid. With proper strategies you will be able to get more done this Xmas than any other Xmas in the past even without the fast passes.

Outside of rope drop forget about anything being walk on. Rides at Disney haven’t been walkon since what August? If you want to maximize it’s a must to rope drop and close down the park.

Last edited:

Agree wait times are looking higher. I watched a few videos from the parks from the past few days as well and I was surprised about how crowded it looked. And it wasn’t only in certain spots, there were crowds all over.
I’m driving back right now & it was that bad. The wait times & crowds weren’t as bad as previous thanksgiving weeks but with the masks & restrictions & so much missing, I’m not sure it’s worth it for us anymore right now. We went the first week it opened back up in July & it was amazing. Then we went in Oct & it was not as good as as July but still good. I had planned to go back in Jan, but I don’t think we will go back until crowds are reduced or attractions/dining are added back.

I’m driving back right now & it was that bad. The wait times & crowds weren’t as bad as previous thanksgiving weeks but with the masks & restrictions & so much missing, I’m not sure it’s worth it for us anymore right now. We went the first week it opened back up in July & it was amazing. Then we went in Oct & it was not as good as as July but still good. I had planned to go back in Jan, but I don’t think we will go back until crowds are reduced or attractions/dining are added back.
I think Thanksgiving week and January are not even close to equal.

No doubt. You really can’t compare anything this year to years past.

Yeah - we'll be going through at least a couple years where comparisons to any previous years will really have no meaning. It's going to be a while before everything sort of normalizes post-COVID after certain things return (EMH, EMM, DAH, parties, shows, parade?, fireworks, other park and/or resort entertainment, festival activities, etc.) because there's no guarantee they'll all return the same as before. Even after all that any comparisons to pre-COVID times won't mean much because of new things like park reservations, Genie, etc. and of course any new attractions that open (Tron, GotG, Rat). It's almost like we're starting at a new beginning.

We are here now and it’s really not that bad. I was most worried about HS but it’s been the most enjoyable park. We are getting to the parks an hour before opening and finding that the parks open early. We leave for lunch and come back at dinner time. Ride again after eating. This strategy is working well. We won’t get to all the headliners but it’s ok. With a good plan you’ll be ok.

We are here now, and it is definitely a downgrade without FPs. We were here the week after Christmas last year and spent much less time in lines between EMH and FPs. I think it depends on your usual touring style. If you are like us and strategize to avoid any lines over 15 min, then it’s tough right now. That said, we are still enjoying ourselves and just rope dropping and leaving the parks around lunch. It doesn’t feel like a waste because we have APs and it’s all a sunk cost anyway.

I was there last week and thought it was better than first week of October. Lines seemed shorter, hours were longer. I don’t think you can compare a holiday week to January. Park Hopping will be back, which I really missed.

What do you of pushing our trip to the 2nd week of March?
Second week of March begins spring break season. It will be a crapshoot but will likely be better than Christmas unless they raise capacity again between Christmas and spring break then all bets are off.

That said all the school band trips to Disneyworld generally fall in March so those crowds won’t be there this year.

What do you of pushing our trip to the 2nd week of March?
We have gone 4 times this year & were just going as an extra trip. We have gone 3 times since they opened back up mainly b/c the crowds have been lower. This last trip was the first time that I felt that it was getting too crowded. We certainly don’t have to go in Jan & it’s not a planned trip. Just thought we may go a few days mlk week but not so sure with current crowds & posted hours.

As shocking as it is to see fireworks “back”, it’s really not that mind blowing to me. Once Universal started their nighttime show back up, it was only a matter of time Disney followed suit. And I’m sure these little bursts will increase depending on the behavior of the guests over the next couple weeks. Could even be a test to see if they could pull off Epcot forever after the holidays to get that park a little busier to get used to increased crowds before Rat opens up

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter