Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as the virus situation allows for it, I definitely expect some kind of celebration. It won't just be "cupcakes and pins" as the previous poster suggested.
there already is more. WDW announced 30 min early entry will be coming for the 50th for resort guests. Literally they said that.

That was as a clear a signal Disney could give that every normal thing they do in reopening this Fall and beyond will be “for the 50th”. No need to spend extra money for this event.

They're running festivals at EPCOT. The Festival of the Arts is fairly close to the normal festival. Why do you think they can't run the 50th celebration in October?
Epcot because of it's size can feel pretty close to normal at the present limited capacity. 40% of capacity is pretty close to what average crowds were like at Epcot pre COVID. That is why Festival of the Arts can feel close to normal. The same doesn't hold at the Magic Kingdom.

Epcot because of it's size can feel pretty close to normal at the present limited capacity. 40% of capacity is pretty close to what average crowds were like at Epcot pre COVID. That is why Festival of the Arts can feel close to normal. The same doesn't hold at the Magic Kingdom.
I was talking about what was being offered at the festival, not how full the park was.

I am anticipating that more resorts at WDW will announce openings further into this year. That, in itself, would be a huge indicator of a recovery and open the "normal" door a bit.

Yep, we have resorts with planned openings already. Have to get through "The Winds of Winter" before we can dream a little bit.

I was talking about what was being offered at the festival, not how full the park was.
The thing is when you can have a normal amount of people in a park, you can offer more of a normal experience because it makes it possible for it to make economic sense.

Personally, I think we're a few months away from speculating what the 50th will look like in October 2021 (which probably belongs in the Walt Disney World 50th Anniversary News thread). If anything in andyman8's post raised eyebrows, it was the sense that there were more cuts coming. Until we have a sense of what those cuts are and their effects on parks and/or resorts, I think any speculation now is premature.

ETA: It also hinges on the ability for the country (and the world) to be vaccinated. Even in the US, supply is becoming an issue leaving many states with folks wanting to take as well as those waiting for 2nd doses in the lurch. This needs to be fixed soon or the timelines folks were hoping for will be greatly affected.

I am anticipating that more resorts at WDW will announce openings further into this year. That, in itself, would be a huge indicator of a recovery and open the "normal" door a bit.
We're pretty chill about WDW happenings and not needing to be there for special events or first day or openings or whatever, but when they reopen the Port Orleans resorts that might have to change. I miss them so much!

I think there’s definitely some truth to this. Universal seems to slide under the radar much easier. I was surprised to read on their website you can remove masks on water rides or for character photos.. simply just because I’ve never even heard anyone mention that! Now if that were Disney I could see the headlines now.. “Maskless riders on Splash Mountain!” or something.

Off topic but.. is it true they let you take off masks for outdoor character photos? I mean it must be if it’s on the website but I don’t remember seeing it mentioned often on here. It’d be great to have a mask free family picture.
I'm not sure if you have been on any of the Universal water rides but you get SOAKED. It is impossible to wear a mask as you wouldn't be able to breathe. It isn't safe. And I did go in September and you can only take your mask off once in your vehicle and must put it on before you get out of your vehicle. This is how water rides should be done but it isn't as big of a deal at Disney as the rides there you don't get soaked on right now. I had brought a zip lock bag to put our masks in so they wouldn't get wet...

And you can take your mask off for pictures at Universal. I did it and I have seen many pictures of others that have done it. It is usually for a very brief moment to take the pic and it is done while you are socially distancing outside. So I personally feel it is very safe.

Just a few thoughts. Sorry for the delay as I logged off early yesterday... :flower1:

With many domestic diehard fans already booked for the days around 50th, my guess is that Disney is waiting until last minute to see if they can 100% park capacity by that time. If they can they will have all the resorts to open and fill, so they will promote/discount to get undecided people to book. If they can’t raise park capacity, they will defer 50th celebration until the day they can. As with various festivals, their aim is about boosting attendance and spend per person per day.

Despite the loss of int’l visitors, I believe WDW has greatly benefitted from domestic visitors cramming into Florida. WDW is the only warm fun place they can visit, aside from various beach towns, without requiring a quarantine or - covid test. Eventually when CA/HI and int’l destinations open up, the big spenders will travel elsewhere. Will int’l visitors return to counteract the loss, even though the US is widely perceived as uncontrolled covid hotspot? I see this as the next big challenge for WDW mgt.

there already is more. WDW announced 30 min early entry will be coming for the 50th for resort guests. Literally they said that.

That was as a clear a signal Disney could give that every normal thing they do in reopening this Fall and beyond will be “for the 50th”. No need to spend extra money for this event.
Exactly... the parks are and have been since reopening opening 30-45 mins before official park opening time for everyone, so really what they announced is that they're now going to reduce that to only 30 mins. and to only resort guests... - oh and they're going to advertise it as an incentive so more ppl. know about it etc. -that's not a perk or more lol.

Last edited:
Theoretically they could. It’s typically just one of the cavalcade floats anyways.

ya true, i'm not sure if there is anything in the contracts/union whatever you wanna call it, that has someone interacting with employees like that (meaning a non disney employee being on a float with disney cms).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter