Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how lucrative selling APs right now would be anyway. If my renewal price is 15% off, that means a full priced AP would be $1270. $1270 for limited time in the park and only 3 guaranteed days unless staying on property. That's $300 more than we paid for the current APs we're using now, which were bought pre-Covid when everything was open. We got them to extend my DS's pass to match our expiration (his was off since turning 3) in July and then we're taking a break. I love Disney, but that's a LOT of money for limited options.

I just assumed, maybe incorrectly, that they weren't selling AP's yet for the same reason they aren't selling the Dining Plan. The product right now cannot possibly be the same.
Dining Plan right now would be a disaster - with so much closed.
If you go to the Passholder website it says:

Discover Exciting Passholder Benefits

Out of those "exciting benefits" - the only thing not limited is merch discounting. Dining discounts are limited because less dining is being offered. Resort offers are limited because less resorts are open.

Events, entertainment, sports rec and spa are totally off the table.

Park hopping just came back-ish. 2pm to park close isn't a whole lot of time when parks are closing earlier.

Additionally - water parks aren't open totally - I know one is coming back but not both.
I just don't see passes being offered until more of the "perks" of passes are available - just like there is no way they would offer a dining plan right now - it would cause too much of an increase in demand for an already limited availability.

Um, that all doesn't explain why they can't start selling AP's at least to FL residents like myself. I became a FL homeowner in summer 2019, but wasn't ready financially to start getting park AP's before COVID hit. I've now been able to get AP's to Universal and SW/BG, but I'm getting tired of them. One of my days off is during the week and DH is retired, so we'd be happy with just the Weekday Select. We live far enough away that we would usually have at least one meal per day trip on property. We'd even consider staying the occasional single night at one of the hotels if they weren't so overpriced even with discounts. I'm sure there's not an insignificant number of other new and old FL residents who for whatever reason didn't have AP's in the before times, but want them now and would be happy to help make the parks less empty, even on weekdays.
I’m not sure Disney just wants to increase park attendance as much as they want to increase hotel occupancy. I think that’s why they’re not selling APs.

Not quite sure if this is flip side or if you're making my argument for me 😉. Now if you were forced to use the 5 or 10 days in the 1st quarter I could see it.

For many folks having more vacation days just means being able to have a longer vacations, and their kids are out for longer in the summer. Those without kids can go anytime they want, and sure some with kids will go now or soon. But the COVID numbers at the moment still aren't great, the vaccine rollout still isn't efficient and many will wait until after at least the grandparents and maybe even the parents have had their shots.

More just thinking if people have more vacation days in total they might be willing to use up some now for a trip even if it is a bit lesser than normal trip as you know you still have plenty of days to take another trip later in the year

Basically easier to take 2 vacations instead of a normal 1

(granted might just be my way of thinking as I don't think I have ever used all my days so I am just trying to think of ways to now try to use up 10 more than normal :D)

I do think the overall covid numbers and question value of using $ is a much bigger factor - but for those that are willing to travel/have the money, those extra days might make them ore willing to do so now, knowing they can still do a more "full" vacation later

Peoplemover seems to be set to open next month, social distance markers have been placed on the moving walkway, the queue for astro orbiter is being redirected elsewhere leaving the queue for pp empty and saw all the vehicles on the track moving while 2 cm were on the loading platform looking like they were practicing.

Last edited:

Peoplemover seems to be set to open next month, social distance markers have been placed on the moving walkway, the queue for astro orbiter is being redirected elsewhere leaving the queue for pp empty and saw all the vehicles on the track moving while 2 cm were on the loading platform looking like they were practicing.
I saw a tweet that said the cars crashed into one another upon testing. 😬

I don't know how lucrative selling APs right now would be anyway. If my renewal price is 15% off, that means a full priced AP would be $1270. $1270 for limited time in the park and only 3 guaranteed days unless staying on property. That's $300 more than we paid for the current APs we're using now, which were bought pre-Covid when everything was open. We got them to extend my DS's pass to match our expiration (his was off since turning 3) in July and then we're taking a break. I love Disney, but that's a LOT of money for limited options.
I just assumed, maybe incorrectly, that they weren't selling AP's yet for the same reason they aren't selling the Dining Plan. The product right now cannot possibly be the same.
Dining Plan right now would be a disaster - with so much closed.
If you go to the Passholder website it says:

Discover Exciting Passholder Benefits

Out of those "exciting benefits" - the only thing not limited is merch discounting. Dining discounts are limited because less dining is being offered. Resort offers are limited because less resorts are open.

Events, entertainment, sports rec and spa are totally off the table.

Park hopping just came back-ish. 2pm to park close isn't a whole lot of time when parks are closing earlier.

Additionally - water parks aren't open totally - I know one is coming back but not both.
I just don't see passes being offered until more of the "perks" of passes are available - just like there is no way they would offer a dining plan right now - it would cause too much of an increase in demand for an already limited availability.

You guys can talk about the limited benefits for APs as much as you want. But I moved to FL last month and I would give my right arm just to pay that high price for an AP with limited benefits.

Hell, I'll even sign a waiver saying I'm well aware of the limited benefits, just sell me a damn AP Disney please.

You guys can talk about the limited benefits for APs as much as you want. But I moved to FL last month and I would give my right arm just to pay that high price for an AP with limited benefits.

Hell, I'll even sign a waiver saying I'm well aware of the limited benefits, just sell me a damn AP Disney please.
*soon*

I'd take advantage of the four day Florida pass if I were you!

I saw a tweet that said the cars crashed into one another upon testing. 😬
Crashed is a bit extreme. It was more like bumping which is something it’s always done.

This always comes up when someone says that they crashed. It does sound a bit extreme until you are the one on the ride when they do crash into each other and you are almost thrown into the seat in front of you cause of the force. It is certainly way more then a bump in certain parts of the ride when they have a breakdown. Some may experience a slight bump when they have been on we unfortunately did not. We were inside Space Mountain when it happened to us. No less then 6 train cars collided inside Space Mountain. I will never forget that ride on the peoplemover. Yes it has become part of the experience for the people mover which is what I am hoping they have been trying to fix and why it has been down so long. :sad2:

This always comes up when someone says that they crashed. It does sound a bit extreme until you are the one on the ride when they do crash into each other and you are almost thrown into the seat in front of you cause of the force. It is certainly way more then a bump in certain parts of the ride when they have a breakdown. Some may experience a slight bump when they have been on we unfortunately did not. We were inside Space Mountain when it happened to us. No less then 6 train cars collided inside Space Mountain. I will never forget that ride on the peoplemover. :sad2:
To each their own. They were in testing mode and nobody was on the ride. To me crash signals damage was done. That did not occur.

To each their own. They were in testing mode and nobody was on the ride. To me crash signals damage was done. That did not occur.

Not arguing here, and I agree in the fact that since the cars were empty it does make it a bump. Loaded cars are different story due to the increased mass and energy needed to propel that mass. It's like the difference in damage to a vehicle hitting something at 5mph using an empty vehicle and then repeating the test with a vehicle with an added 1000lbs. But we're getting OT now so you can delete this.

Not arguing here, and I agree in the fact that since the cars were empty it does make it a bump. Loaded cars are different story due to the increased mass and energy needed to propel that mass. It's like the difference in damage to a vehicle hitting something at 5mph using an empty vehicle and then repeating the test with a vehicle with an added 1000lbs. But we're getting OT now so you can delete this.
Completely fair, considering this test included several “crashes” I think they were almost purposely testing that.

I understand why people want Disney to start selling APs again but I really don’t see why they would right now.

Low crowds is a short term January/February problem (also some of the slower weeks of the year in general - was pretty quiet our late Jan/early Feb trip last year.)

They know they need the capacity for March and beyond when the crowds pick back up but limited capacity is still the same.

It really doesn’t make sense for them to sell APs to solve a short term low crowd problem but then cause a headache (and have unhappy new APs) in 6 weeks when crowds inevitably pick up again for spring break season.

I'm gonna hold you to that @sullivan.kscott

I'd take advantage of the four day Florida pass if I were you!

Believe me, I'm thinking about it. But it seems like a waste to pay maybe 1/4 the cost of an AP just to go 4 days.

Would I buy it if Disney said no APs until next year? Yep.

But they haven't said when APs are coming back so it seems a waste to pay that for 4 days when they can start selling APs in February for all anyone knows.

I just got off the phone with Disney trying to get my AP back. Supposedly someone will call me back within 7 days.

Has there been any rumors to any other signature restaurants coming back? My wife and I are going for a few days in May and are hoping for more options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter