Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you seriously arguing that Disney isn't reopening some of their restaurants because they can't figure out a way around break rooms? Come on. How about an empty resort room? A pop up tent in the parking lot? I don't know, but I'm sure this isn't that hard of a problem to solve.

Yes, Disney is not opening more things because they need the areas for break-rooms. They do not have enough space to accommodate more CM's and telling them to go to a tent in a parking lot tells me that you have no clue what it is like to work at Disney. In merchandise, a CM gets a 15 minute break for a 6 hour shift, you barely have time to go to the bathroom, let alone go out to a parking lot or somewhere else farther away to actually sit down. It's easy to play armchair quarterback and assume that Disney has unlimited space but that is not the case. Most of the break-rooms are very small and pre-covid could accommodate maybe 20 people and now can only accommodate 5 or 6 as stated above. This IS a very hard problem to solve, so until the distancing guidelines are lifted, they can't accommodate more CM's.

Rich people have a lot of savings. Billionaires have made money hand over fist during the pandemic. I don't think that applies broadly across the middle class which is the group who would pump up travel numbers after this is all over. Using an estimated number from a big investment bank doesn't tell the whole story. There are a lot of people who have lost jobs and lost income during the pandemic. It's going to take a while for them to recover. There will also be a significant chunk of people who are leery about crowding together in to a theme park or getting in to a plane. It'll take a while for that to change, if it ever does. I think COVID will have a huge subconscious psychological effect on people that will take time to overcome.

I don't see some great flood of travel once COVID is over. I think it will be a slow steady increase similar to how it was after 9/11.
That’s certainly a fair point to make and you very well may be right. I haven’t spent a ton of time researching this so the following is pure speculation on my part.

I’d venture a guess to say the majority of people who suffered financially during this pandemic were unfortunately in the bottom 50% of wage earners. On the contrary, I’d venture a guess that the overwhelming majority of the top 50% came out ahead after all the stimulus checks and child tax credits and money saved commuting are considered.

Sadly, I think Disney’s target market for vacations are the top 50%. Their resorts and cruises are so expensive that I think they’ve been moving that way for years. So I don’t think they’ll lose too much business as those top 50% will still have plenty of money and desire to travel. And even those that suffered financially will still be able to go out and see a movie as a chance to do something fun.

I know it’s spring break, but the parks are at capacity right now. 80% of Americans aren’t vaccinated, there is no entertainment, no nighttime spectaculars, you have to wear a mask, restaurants are closed, etc. and Disney is still hitting 35% capacity for spring break. So if they didn’t have the capacity restrictions they could be even higher than 35% right now.

I just personally don’t believe it’s unreasonable to expect Disney to be back to normal crowd levels in 2022 given attendance levels right now and if I’m correct on the financial standing of many in the country. I could be wrong. Guess time will tell.

Several on a local facebook group were asking for advice on which parks to visit in Florida right now. I could not believe people don't know that fireworks and shows aren't happening at Disney right now. Restrictions are necessary and completely appropriate right now, but most do not know what they are getting themselves into when they head down there.

You don’t think the fact that they broke even despite having major revenue lines such as movie theaters, cruising, and multiple theme parks closed is a sign of great financial strength? How many businesses do you know can still make money when more than half their business is shut down? I’d say it’s the exact opposite. It shows the company basically prints money to the point they can shut more than half of it down and still come out just fine!

And yes, they made cuts. What I’m saying is it might be a better long term move to spend another few hundred million dollars at their theme parks to keep guest satisfaction high so that those people want to keep coming back and spending. Open some restaurants, have some entertainment, etc. In the grand scheme of things, those are tiny expenses to hopefully provide guests with experiences that are going to turn them into lifelong customers spending thousands on your hotels, theme parks, merchandise, movies, streaming services, etc.

Every company takes on debt. The interest rates are so obscenely low right now you’d be crazy not to. Disney is not in the slightest danger of going under. They were making over $10 billion a year before the pandemic. They’ll be back to those levels in 2022. They’re doing just fine!
That's kinda what drives me crazy. They're all about price integrity which is why not much is really discounted right now to the general public, but don't seemed overly concerned about experience integrity. I am not saying bring back fireworks this second or cram people into restaurants again, but you're telling me the global leader in entertainment can't get somewhat creative with experience? Rather than innovate they cut or bandaided everything and are just hoping for a return to "normal" ASAP so they can get back to cramming everyone in like sardines and making money hand over fist. But I must admit, for their stakeholders, it worked. As one myself Chapek sure weathered that storm.

We've been more times than I care to admit and unless you've been during reopening you really haven't seen the difference in all the details, big and little. Some are completely because of COVID and are of course acceptable, a good deal are not. Like someone said, Disney is a business not a charity which is all well and good, but paying consumers shouldn't be treated as such either.

And for those arguing pools hitting capacity is some usual thing people should not only be aware of but not mind at all, in all of our trips we've never experienced that. And every trip except for maybe two was taken in warm weather. It is not the norm and isn't anything people consider when booking their very expensive vacation.

Last edited:

Yay Disneyland! Thank goodness for real news!

I can’t believe this pool conversation based on some Facebook posts has lasted this long. I’d love to know actual, real facts about exactly which pools and exactly how long they were at capacity for and for how many days. Was it a one day thing? Is it still happening? How many guests have truly been impacted by this? How many pools? Are they at capacity all day? Only midday? Is it truly as widespread as people are making it sound?

We have very few confirmed facts and a whole lot of speculation, people taking it and running with it.

Because theme park capacity will be significantly limited to comply with governmental requirements and promote physical distancing, the Disneyland Resort will manage attendance through a new theme park reservation system that requires all guests to obtain a reservation for park entry in advance. To enter a park, both a park reservation and valid admission for the same park on the same date are required for guests ages 3 and up. Theme park reservations will be limited and subject to availability and, until further notice, only California residents may visit the parks in line with current state guidelines. More details about this new reservation system will be available soon.

Park Reservations are totally permanent at this point. Through 2023 at World, coming to Land...

Now for the non-CA residents to sit and wait for the governor to 'allow' us to visit too!

I'm hoping summer? I'm sure when that restriction is lifted we'd also see the park capacity increase, the remaining two hotels open, and a date for Avengers Campus.

Positive steps in the right direction though!

Good question. My daughter's friend was going to come with us for Spring Break but couldn't get park reservations so is not coming now. We are staying on property. It would be even worse if more resorts were open without increasing the availability.
Just FYI I don't know if your spring break is in early April, but I noticed that some theme park reservations opened up this morning.

Very happy about getting an opening date for DL! This Legacy Passholder is holding off buying any tickets until I hear more about a new "membership" or whatever they plan on calling it. Going to WDW in June, so I will get my fix there!
Regarding the pool issue, Disney needs to implement a virtual waiting system like they are doing at every hotel on the strip in Las Vegas. On busy pool days, you sign up virtually by scanning a QR code. You may have to wait a few hours, but it isn't so bad if you plan accordingly. It is a pretty easy fix for Disney, but I doubt they will do it...

Very happy about getting an opening date for DL! This Legacy Passholder is holding off buying any tickets until I hear more about a new "membership" or whatever they plan on calling it. Going to WDW in June, so I will get my fix there!
Regarding the pool issue, Disney needs to implement a virtual waiting system like they are doing at every hotel on the strip in Las Vegas. On busy pool days, you sign up virtually by scanning a QR code. You may have to wait a few hours, but it isn't so bad if you plan accordingly. It is a pretty easy fix for Disney, but I doubt they will do it...
Do we even know if the "pool issue" is really that big of a problem? I haven't seen any of the Disney-sphere websites reporting on it.....not even the totally clickbaity ones. This all seems to be based on some Facebook posts.

Viking to Relaunch Cruises With Daily COVID-19 Tests

"We have been implementing our additional protocols, including daily quick and easy non-invasive saliva PCR tests for our crew, for almost six months now.”

I think it's pretty impressive to have a full-scale onboard testing lab (and on shore) along with automated thermal imaging cameras in public locations and UV-C disinfecting robots along with UV-C light and electrostatic air filtration killing 99.9% of pathogens (including Covid). For now, only balcony rooms will be used for guests.

I suspect some, if not all, of these protocols will be implemented on the larger ocean cruise vessels.

Do we even know if the "pool issue" is really that big of a problem? I haven't seen any of the Disney-sphere websites reporting on it.....not even the totally clickbaity ones. This all seems to be based on some Facebook posts.
Well, there is certainly an issue on this page yesterday.. there was 10 pages of so of back and forth. I thought there some big update going through it, but no, all about pool capacity. Disney needs to have a virtual queue set up as we get closer to summer. It is not crazy for Disney to expect that most guests will want to use the pool during the summer. Virtual queues need to be implemented (at least at the values were it seems to more of an "issue"). Pop in particular has the most guests of any other resort, but smaller pools in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter