Cruise before or after WDW?

Normally I'd say parks first, then since the cruise ends on a Saturday stay one extra night and just do Disney Springs or something else in Orlando. Best of all worlds. But...before your cruise is July 4 week and I would avoid that for sure.

Normally I would say parks before cruise. But I would avoid July 4th unless you WANT that specific experience. And higher prices would also steer me away. When you do decide, try not to overthink it because there are pros and cons to both!

Regardless of the order, land and sea is an amazing way to vacation! Best of both worlds. Once we did that, we were so spoiled and now get sad when we can't do both!

For our cruise March 2024 We are going to stay one more night in Orlando post cruise. Some shopping and pool time before heading to the airport.

Usually I prefer to do WDW before doing a cruise. However, this December we are on the Wish for 4-nights. With it sailing on a Monday we will be staying at the Hyatt MCO on Sunday. The Wish returns on Friday and we will be staying at the Yacht Club Friday & Saturday and flying home late Sunday. We are going to squeeze in the MK on that Friday and MVMCP. Saturday we will hit the Studios ( I've yet to see Rise of Resistance), then that evening spend a couple hours at Epcot and the new fireworks show, and then if we are not to tired we will hit Epcot again in the morning before our 7:00 pm flight home.

We will be on the July 6-13, 2024 cruise on the Fantasy and are debating on going to WDW before or after the cruise for 3 or 4 nights. The concern about going before is simply the crowds around the 4th of July holiday plus the prices are higher. If we went after, I would imagine the crowds would be lower? From what I saw this year though it was opposite with crowds lower than expected over 4th of July.

I can also see a benefit of going after in the sense you get to extend your vacation by a few more days once you are back on land. What would you do?

Thoughts?
Another vote after the cruise. We have done this many times and are usually in one of the parks by 11:30am at the latest. We're always sad to leave the cruise and going to WDW makes it tolerable.

We have only done before. We do get on the ship exhausted. I feel like something more quiet either on front or back end now is our choice.

We have done 2 Disney cruises. We stay for 1 nt at a DVC resort before our cruise and then we stay at another DVC resort after the cruise for 3 or 4 nights.

We are leaning towards WDW for a few days after the cruise, but still debating on how soon before the cruise we should fly to FL regardless of whether or not we visit parks.

My main concern with flying to FL the day before the cruise is that if weather out of Houston or into Orlando messes up our flights on July 5th, we will then miss our departure unless we can get to Port Canaveral by the time they close embarkation by taking a very early flight.

We have always done the parks first then the cruise, but I believe you may be correct and the days around the 4th will most likely be at max levels. In this case I would opt to do them after the cruise. It really is a very individual decision. Regardless of what you decide you should have a blast.

We always do the cruise first - as others have said, I don't want to head to the airport right after our cruise. We fly from the west coast so the cruise gives us the ability to adjust to the time difference while relaxing. Once we get off the cruise, we're ready to tackle the parks. We usually stay 2 weeks in the World, and we end up exhausted and so ready to head home at that point. So yes, cruise first, parks second and get home third.

We are doing WDW after our cruise due to the school breaks. It also works out that some friends will also be there at the same time and the kids will have some fun together.

Last edited:
Personally ALWAYS cruise after. Cruise is more relaxing (though still LOTS of steps) and a great place to go after WDW.

DW and I have done WDW + DCL + WDW and also a DCL + WDW, both are great. We feel a DCL then WDW would be better for us if only a double dip Disney Vacation was possible because we always had the cruise ending doldrums when a stand alone cruise was over but having WDW after meant the Magic was only 1 hour away after stepping off the ship and ending a WDW Vacation was not a big deal.

We've always done a cruise after WDW. It was always nice to just get some rest after a hectic stay. This was years ago and DH and I are now in our 60s and I've done WDW for so long that it wouldn't matter too much now because we don't do those kinds of WDW stays anymore. Some people do a before and after.

Having done WDW after, if I do another land/sea combo, I would do WDW first so I can relax and luxuriate on my cruise to recover.

We will be on the July 6-13, 2024 cruise on the Fantasy and are debating on going to WDW before or after the cruise for 3 or 4 nights. The concern about going before is simply the crowds around the 4th of July holiday plus the prices are higher. If we went after, I would imagine the crowds would be lower? From what I saw this year though it was opposite with crowds lower than expected over 4th of July.

I can also see a benefit of going after in the sense you get to extend your vacation by a few more days once you are back on land. What would you do?

Thoughts?
Have done it both ways. Preference will always be parks first and cruise after when scheduling allows it. My 1 cent. *wink*. Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter