Cruise before or after WDW?

We always cruise first. I like to get used to three-hour time change before I have to get up at 6a(3am our time)to head to the parks.
Totally get that! We fly from the west coast as well. On our last rip, we finally found a solution for that by our first day being a pool day at our hotel.

Totally get that! We fly from the west coast as well. On our last rip, we finally found a solution for that by our first day being a pool day at our hotel.
My favorite way to it is few days before a cruise and a few days after. Different resorts before and after. It feels like three vacations.

I prefer after. I’m always super sad getting off the cruise and going to Disney World makes it tolerable. I also would avoid 4th of July at WDW at all costs. I know this year was “slow” but that’s not the norm.
Agree -- Disney Cruise, then visit the Walt Disney World theme parks.
Getting off the cruise ship and flying home is such an abrupt end to the cruise / vacation experience.

We are leaning towards WDW for a few days after the cruise, but still debating on how soon before the cruise we should fly to FL regardless of whether or not we visit parks.

My main concern with flying to FL the day before the cruise is that if weather out of Houston or into Orlando messes up our flights on July 5th, we will then miss our departure unless we can get to Port Canaveral by the time they close embarkation by taking a very early flight.

I don’t think you will get as much variety of responses when talking about flying as you do when asking about a parks add-on to your cruise. Flying in one or two days early is recommended by most people (there are always gamblers or those who can’t add on extra vacation).

With July 4th on a Thursday, I am curious if it reduces flying vacations. Perhaps people head out on Wednesday and take off a Friday, then return home on Sunday, making it an extra-long weekend.pp

I would feel safe heading to MCO on July 4 or 5. Early on the 5th at the latest, leaving all day for an option if there are delays. And on an airline without a bad cancellation / lost luggage record.

If it were my trip, from that far away, I would fly on the 4th, do something fun on July 5th, then do the cruise. A cushion of time and make use of it with one day of water park or theme park. Or early the 5th and stay at a place with a nice pool. Because you won’t have a great pool on the ship.

I think the “crowd” is less the issue than what do you want out of your vacation. It’s going to be hot - how does that affect the way you plan a trip to WDW? I haven’t gone in the summer for that reason.

Thank you to everyone for all of your input - it has all been very helpful in our planning.

So after discussing this more over the weekend with my family, what we are likely to do is this...
  • Fly to Orlando on either July 2nd or 3rd and visit the WDW parks
  • Stay at WDW until our cruise day of July 6th (leaning Wilderness Lodge)
  • Go to Port Canaveral using the Disney Cruise Line bus and board the Fantasy
  • Debark on July 13th
  • Head to Universal for one night (July 13th check-in and 14th check-out) with a 2 day 2 park pass and stay at one of the deluxe resorts
    • Will need alternate transportation from Port Canaveral since Disney will not take us to Universal - LOL
  • Fly home to Houston late in the day on July 14th

We cruised first once. Always cruise second. Always. Unless it just logistically doesn’t work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter