Cruise Boats Commandeered by FEMA???

J.E.J. has also lost a bit of the timbre in his voice. Not as menacing as it used to be - but still great that he is around to do it.

Several years ago our granddaughter came within a whisker of commandeering a Fantasy lifeboat when we told her we had to finally leave. She was 9 and wanted to just lift the cover, slip inside and stay forever. Sadly, we had to direct her under the "see ya real soon" banner and off the ship. I am sure the crew checks the lifeboats...maybe they don't (Hmmm!).

Several years ago our granddaughter came within a whisker of commandeering a Fantasy lifeboat when we told her we had to finally leave. She was 9 and wanted to just lift the cover, slip inside and stay forever. Sadly, we had to direct her under the "see ya real soon" banner and off the ship. I am sure the crew checks the lifeboats...maybe they don't (Hmmm!).

Guarantee you if someone is not showing swiped off, they would check every inch of that ship - including lifeboats.

Yes, CHARTERED by FEMA is a whole lot different than commandeered. They are paying for the ship and Carnival agreed to it. And this happened two weeks ago, your brother-in-law is just now finding out?

Yes, he called them to ask a question about his cruise and was told that his boat was being used instead to get people off of the island.

Maybe commandeer was the wrong word. Instead I should have said that my BIL's cruise has been impacted as his boat as been "redirected" for use as a passenger evacuation boat.

My brother-in-law is on a November cruise, through Carnival. He called today to confirm his details and they told him that his boat was commandeered by FEMA! This isn't happening currently with DCL, right? :scratchin
No, it hasn't happened yet. However, on a recent cruise, Captain Hook commandeered the Disney Wonder before Captain Mickey took it back!

MUN

No, it hasn't happened yet. However, on a recent cruise, Captain Hook commandeered the Disney Wonder before Captain Mickey took it back!

MUN

Yes have had that happen a few times. Am i the only one that kind of wishs that Hook would win one of these times?

Reactions: MUN
My brother-in-law is on a November cruise, through Carnival. He called today to confirm his details and they told him that his boat was commandeered by FEMA! This isn't happening currently with DCL, right? :scratchin

As of 9/20/17 - Port of Palm Beach’s sole cruise ship — Grand Celebration — will begin a three-month sabbatical Saturday when it arrives in St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands on a hurricane relief mission, its operator Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line said.

Yes, he called them to ask a question about his cruise and was told that his boat was being used instead to get people off of the island.

Maybe commandeer was the wrong word. Instead I should have said that my BIL's cruise has been impacted as his boat as been "redirected" for use as a passenger evacuation boat.

What ship is he on? Or was supposed to be on?

As people have said, the ship you mentioned isn't a carnival ship anymore.

Who did he call to be told this?
Has he been given a refund?

The only evacuations I've heard of were by Royal and it was ONE ship/sailing and its done.

From that article, it's now different from what's in your quote.

"Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line: The Deerfield Beach cruise company’s sole ship, the 1,900-passenger Grand Celebration"...

It's not a carnival ship.

I would assume if DCL had this issue, the upcoming passengers would be notified?

Dcl has 4 ships. They won't be dedicating one to non-paying customers any time soon. If there's a charter of any kind it would be figured out and posted about pretty quickly.

Upon first reading of your post I wanted to solve your BIL's situation because either he or the person he was talking to is pretty confused.

There's nothing about November cruises being impacted on carnival's FB page and their hurricane relief offshoot FB page says nothing of the sort. Without his ship name I'm not going to check out all the november carnival sailing groups in cruisecritic's boards

But now I think your concern is for your own cruise. Rest assured; Disney isn't listed in any of the web pages about hurricane relief efforts.

But I still kinda want to solve your BIL's sailing weirdness.

The Dark Side commandeered the Disney Fantasy in February AND April 2017. But Mickey got it back both times too by the time we hit Castaway Cay.
Oh cool! I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but that would be kind of neat to see. The music is good. Tell me, did they have jabba the hut make Minnie his slave girl?

Last edited:
Oh cool! I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but that would be kind of neat to see. The music is good. Tell me, did they jabba the hut make Minnie his slave girl?

As fun as that would be...no. :) But there were all kinds of SW characters wandering around the ship and on deck.

Reactions: MUN
What ship is he on? Or was supposed to be on?

As people have said, the ship you mentioned isn't a carnival ship anymore.

Who did he call to be told this?
Has he been given a refund?

The only evacuations I've heard of were by Royal and it was ONE ship/sailing and its done.

From that article, it's now different from what's in your quote.

"Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line: The Deerfield Beach cruise company’s sole ship, the 1,900-passenger Grand Celebration"...

It's not a carnival ship.

Dcl has 4 ships. They won't be dedicating one to non-paying customers any time soon. If there's a charter of any kind it would be figured out and posted about pretty quickly.

Upon first reading of your post I wanted to solve your BIL's situation because either he or the person he was talking to is pretty confused.

There's nothing about November cruises being impacted on carnival's FB page and their hurricane relief offshoot FB page says nothing of the sort. Without his ship name I'm not going to check out all the november carnival sailing groups in cruisecritic's boards

But now I think your concern is for your own cruise. Rest assured; Disney isn't listed in any of the web pages about hurricane relief efforts.

But I still kinda want to solve your BIL's sailing weirdness.

Unfortunately, the info I received was from my DH, having a short convo with his brother, who doesn't ask all of the questions I would have asked. I NEED DETAILS! Yes, my concern is only for our upcoming DCL cruise. Not to sound selfish, but our's is a family cruise that we have had planned for almost 2 years. Their's was a last minute, TA discount cruise.

Unfortunately, the info I received was from my DH, having a short convo with his brother, who doesn't ask all of the questions I would have asked. I NEED DETAILS! Yes, my concern is only for our upcoming DCL cruise. Not to sound selfish, but our's is a family cruise that we have had planned for almost 2 years. Their's was a last minute, TA discount cruise.

Yeah there were probably many salient points missed in the telling of it to you. And if it was BiL's spouse who did the calling then that's another avenue of miscommunication.

Because if he's booked with carnival, nothing like that is happening. If something like that is happening, he's booked with that tiny one-ship company. And that company chose to let FEMA charter it.

For you, there are no worries unless some giant company or celebrity contacts Disney and wants to charter that sailing. Not going to be FEMA though. And it's not a strong possibility to start.

Interesting that never popped up on any other search I did. LOL.

But again, it's CHARTERED. Carnival had the option to say no.

They still should have notified all the passengers though! That fact is crazy.
This was only announced yesterday. They have notified the passengers. 100 percent refund, free cruise down the road (not sure of exact details on the cruise but a future cruise credit), and up to $200 per person for transportation deviation costs.

Last edited:
Was posted on Carnivals site last night. Although the word was "chartered" I'm sure that Carnival will assume major financial losses because FEMA will not pay market rates or the associated costs of cancellations. So "commandeering" might be somewhere closer to the reality

----------

ITINERARY UPDATES 10/11/2017 – 7:00PM (EDT)

Carnival Fascination – Southern Caribbean Cruises

Earlier this week, we communicated that we were ready to resume our operation from San Juan on Carnival Fascination, with our first cruise departing this Sunday. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has since asked us to support the relief and rebuilding efforts and Carnival Fascination has been chartered to provide housing for relief workers in the U.S. Virgin Islands. This means the ship’s departures from October 15, 2017 through January 28, 2018 will be cancelled. Carnival Fascination will return to year-round service from San Juan beginning February 18, 2018.

We recognize how important vacations are and we sincerely apologize for the disruption this late change in plans has caused our guests and travel partners. We value your trust in us and hope you understand that this decision was made after careful consideration of the great need to support the recovery efforts in the region.

Guests on cancelled sailings will be notified by Carnival or their travel professional.

This was only announced yesterday. They have notified the passengers. 100 percent refund, free cruise down the road (not sure of exact details on the cruise but a future cruise credit), and up to $200 per person for transportation deviation costs.

Very interesting. Clearly they knew about it when this thread was started - curious why it took them this long to notify passengers who didn't happen to call in to check about something (like the OP's brother) and announce it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter