Cruise ship leaves Nassau with kids on board under supervison of uncle ;-)and late parents on land

Lisa loves Pooh

DIS Veteran
The ship waited for a half an hour. Dad got off the boat to go find mom. There was a family member (Uncle) on board to take care of the children.

I feel so bad because I am sure that mom felt horrible. But at the same time--the ships are pretty clear about when to get back to the ship. They did them a favor but unfortunately could not wait any longer. I do want to know what mom was up to.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/weird-news/cruise-ship-leaves-parents-behind-with-kids-onboard

Well, I am a nasty person because I do not feel bad for her at all. Cruise ships are very very clear about needing to be on board by a certain time. And they did wait for her, so this is all on her.

I only feel bad because when she collapses--I could just feel her pain. Now--My butt would have been on the boat.

A little more of the story: Mom was off the ship, Dad & kids (not sure if it was 2 or 3) plus Uncle (and other family) were onboard. Kids are 9 & 12 at least.

Dad was waiting at the bottom of the gangway for mom, when it became evident that mom was nowhere on the horizon, he consulted with uncle and ships personnel and opted to leave the ship with their IDs, and would attempt to find wife before ship left. They didn't make it back.

The ship was at it's last port of call, next stop debarkation port of NYC. The cruise line assisted in travel and hotel bookings (not clear whether that included paying for them, or just helped arrange them) for mom & dad. They met the ship when it arrived in NYC to collect kids.

I don't feel bad. Whatever she was doing was more important than getting back to the boat on time, I guess. It's not even like she was just a minute late. If your cruise ship says to be back at x time, be back 10 minutes before x time.

I am guessing she was at least an hour late. All of our onboard times were at least 30 minutes PRIOR to the time the boat was scheduled to leave. (ETA: Meaning she should have been to the ship an hour before the golf cart picked her up.)

A little more of the story: Mom was off the ship, Dad & kids (not sure if it was 2 or 3) plus Uncle (and other family) were onboard. Kids are 9 & 12 at least.

Dad was waiting at the bottom of the gangway for mom, when it became evident that mom was nowhere on the horizon, he consulted with uncle and ships personnel and opted to leave the ship with their IDs, and would attempt to find wife before ship left. They didn't make it back.

The ship was at it's last port of call, next stop debarkation port of NYC. The cruise line assisted in travel and hotel bookings (not clear whether that included paying for them, or just helped arrange them) for mom & dad. They met the ship when it arrived in NYC to collect kids.
What was she up to that made her so late? That's the missing piece to the story.

I have two friends that are perpetually late for everything by at least 30 minutes, but often times and hour or more. It gets old after many years of friendship. It's selfish to always be late to everything. It makes people feel like their time is considered less valuable. I have no idea if that lady is like them, but, if she is, this incident may have scared her straight.

What was she up to that made her so late? That's the missing piece to the story.
Well, she did have several shopping bags in her hands as she fell to her knees on the pier.

Don't know if that's what the problem was, if there there were other contributing factors.

The ship did wait an additional 30-45 minutes before departing.

This topped my family cruise that started bad and then ended with a snow and ice storm in Florida. Haha. We still joke about it all these years later. I'm sure these kids will make sure she never forgets. "Don't be late mom. Like when we were in Nassau."

Well, I am a nasty person because I do not feel bad for her at all. Cruise ships are very very clear about needing to be on board by a certain time. And they did wait for her, so this is all on her.
You're not nasty. I feel bad--but I don't have much sympathy.

I am guessing she was at least an hour late. All of our onboard times were at least 30 minutes PRIOR to the time the boat was scheduled to leave. (ETA: Meaning she should have been to the ship an hour before the golf cart picked her up.)

yup. I was just on a ship last week and all aboard was 30 minutes prior to the advertised departure time. Every port. So if they were due to leave at say 5pm, everyone would be told to be back by 4:30

That ship was nice. Rccl says 30 mins prior to departure. We were in the Caribbean and having our drinks on deck watching our departure. The couple next to us says, watch the pier as we leave. If anyone's late you'll see them running for their life. Sure enough we left on time and here comes 3-4 people running at the ship. I was cracking up. They were late and had to pay for flight to next PoC. No sympathy for them.

I asked a crew member why they couldn't wait and I was told they could get fined or charged extra if the ship didn't leave when it was suppose to. Not sure if that's true or not.

That ship was nice. Rccl says 30 mins prior to departure. We were in the Caribbean and having our drinks on deck watching our departure. The couple next to us says, watch the pier as we leave. If anyone's late you'll see them running for their life. Sure enough we left on time and here comes 3-4 people running at the ship. I was cracking up. They were late and had to pay for flight to next PoC. No sympathy for them.

I asked a crew member why they couldn't wait and I was told they could get fined or charged extra if the ship didn't leave when it was suppose to. Not sure if that's true or not.
Yes, it's true. The ship is charged for being in port. That's what "port fees and taxes" are. They book for a certain length of time, and, sometimes, connections to electrical/water services. If they overstay their booked time, they are charged extra.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter