Cruising for the first time soon!

DD's boyfriend got a gig on a Disney Cruise, and we'll be taking our first adventure in January to see him perform! I have never been on ANY cruise before, let alone Disney, so I'd love all of your advice! TIA!
Give us some details so we can provide the correct info. Which ship? How many days will you be cruising? What type of stateroom did you book? How many people in your family will be going? Ages? All adults or some under 18?

Congrats! Which ship will you be on? People will be able to give you tips tailored to that ship.

Some General advice/info:
If flying, fly in 1-2 days before the cruise in case there are travel issues...the boat won't wait for you!

Seasickness medicine: we bring the OTC medicine Bonine (meclizine) which is non drowsy. I buy on Amazon. DD23 starts it the night before the cruise (as we know she can get seasick.). DD19 and I just use it when needed vs every day. DH has never needed it.

Disney has rotational dining where you have the same serving team each night as you rotate thru the 3 main dining rooms. There is a different menu every night. Breakfast and lunch you can do whatever you want: buffet, pool deck food, room service, or visit the 1 main dining room that is open for a sit down meal.

Gratuities are $14.50/passenger/night and cover the stateroom host, server, assistant server, and head server. They are automatically added to your account. Drinks that are not free (anything at a bar/specialty coffee) have an auto 18% gratuity added to it

Enjoy your cruise!

Give us some details so we can provide the correct info. Which ship? How many days will you be cruising? What type of stateroom did you book? How many people in your family will be going? Ages? All adults or some under 18?
This is all just happening now, so I don't have any details. We will book as soon as we know. Only my 22-year old daughter and I are going.

Be prepared to have a great time. We are booked for our 11th and 12th cruise next year. Join the cruise meet on this board if there is one. Great way to get to know a few folks before you board. Like another said fly in the day before. We like to stay at the Hyatt right there in the airport. DCL can book that as part of your cruise. Read this board from the beginning to end. Ask as many questions as you can. But most of all relax. you will not be able to do and see everything on one cruise.

How fun! As you get a clearer picture of what you're doing, people here would be happy to provide more specific advice and recommendations.

My #1 tip is don't overdo it booking activities in advance! Especially for your first cruise, there will be plenty to do once you get on board and I think you're better off not being locked into an intense schedule. And unless you're sailing somewhere you really care about, I'd suggest staying onboard during the ports so you can get the most out of the ship itself :)

Have an amazing time!

There is far more to do than can be done. We had to accept that and enjoy the slice of activities/fun we did choose to do. Beware! Disney cruises are like those potato chips, you can't have just one :D
This is my main advice. Just like going to Disney World, or virtually any vacation. It is impossible to do it all. Pick some things you know you want to do, and then fill in the gaps.

UPDATE:
We now know that the ship is Disney Magic! Any additional info to share? We are ALL first-time cruisers, so we know NOTHING! 😂

General advice:

1. Get a passport. You can technically go on some cruises without it, but it's more work and would be a pain if you had to fly home from the cruise early.

2. Generally the advice is to book as early as possible, but I'm assuming you're not booking through the normal public method.

3. Cabins right below the pool deck or close to the engine can be noisy, so avoid those if you're a light sleeper.

4. If you get sick on any rides, cars, planes, or any other form of motion, bring some Dramamine or look at getting Sea bands.

5. Try to get a reservation for Palo brunch if you can, it's worth the extra cost.

6. Make plans for your port days, don't just get off and walk around. You'll have plenty of time to rest on the sea days. The one exception is Castaway Cay. There, you can just walk off, grab a chair, and enjoy the beach for the day.

I am not sure how familiar you are with the Disney Parks Resort Hotels, but Concierge is more or less the DCL version of Club Level at one of the Resort Hotels. It's an upgrade with a special lounge and dedicated staff to help you. Some people think it's worth the extra money, others do not (which is another reason why it is similar to Club Level at the Resort Hotels).

Which type of stateroom would be best to help avoid seasickness (inside vs oceanview vs verandah)?

Which type of stateroom would be best to help avoid seasickness (inside vs oceanview vs verandah)?
Midship and lower floor.

We've done Oceanview, deck 2 at the aft elevators on the Magic/Wonder and felt good there. And verandah, at the forward elevators on Fantasy (deck 9, too much up/down motion) and Dream (deck 7, NO motion)

DD23 and I are a bit claustrophobic, so we can't do inside rooms for that reason, just having a window helps us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter