Cruising in January

Jldoman

Earning My Ears
I am thinking about taking my daughter on our 2nd Disney Cruise in January. Her favorite part of the cruise is the pools and the aqua duck. We would sailing out of Port Canaveral. Are the pools enjoyable this time of year?

We cruised last January and rode the aqua duck when we boarded (due to short lines) and boy was it ever freezing. But the temps in Florida that day were about 14-17 degrees Celsius (55-60 Fahrenheit?). It was also cool in the Bahamas. However once we were further south, I would say by the 2nd sea day it was hot and pools were enjoyable. My kid had no problem being in the pool on the first day, but wouldn't get out ;). He would also frequent the hot tubs more which were super crowded. I would still cruise January but definitely prefer an Easter Caribbean itinerary to Florida/Bahamas as it can be cool there this time of the year.

We did a 7 night Eastern Caribbean in January. It was not warm enough at Castaway Cay for us to get in the water but it was hot once we were further south and our kids were able to enjoy the pool and AquaDuck. It was a nice break from the cold temps at home.

It can be quite variable. My first cruise was Jan 2008 and there were snow flurries the day of embarkation...we were not prepared for that! The water in Bahamas was cold...cruised 5 years later and all was lovely. This past year temps were chilly but tolerable.

So it really just depends. I agree that if you go further south, temps are more predictably warm.

Typically, yes, it's plenty warm enough. But January can sometimes be finicky as far as the weather goes (here in the panhandle of Florida, we have gone from 40 to 85 to 40 again and back to 70 in the span of a week and a half before in January/February).

The snow flurries tink1970 mentioned are pretty rare, but it happens sometimes. 2 of 3 of the cruises I've been on have been in January/February and I have always experienced great weather (The 3rd was in September and was insanely hot!)

We cruised the Wonder for 3 nights in Jan 2006- it was sunny but chilly, our son rode the slides 2-3 times and we never were at the pool again. Also, we didn't get to dock at Castaway Cay due to weather, it was sunny but very windy- so we waved at it from afar

We went this January. We got on the wonder in San Juan and headed south from there. We were able to swim on the boat and hit the beaches and it was plenty warm. I'm not so sure that would be the case in Florida in January! We have been to WDW in October in the past and it was already too cold to get in the pools!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter