Cruising in September... Need advice

riversend22

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!!!!! So i'm looking for some advice from those who have taken cruises during the month of September. Hubby and I are looking to take our first cruise to the Western Caribbean on the Oasis and currently the two trips that best suite our tastes and time frame depart Sept. 12th or Sept. 26th. We're leaning towards the latter since the early dining is still available as an option however I was looking for opinions on which time would be the better option? I'm a bit concerned since we will be traveling during hurricane season and on top of that, I do tend to have motion sickness (who knows if I'll be seasick...I wasn't on a cruise I took many years ago) so I don't want the seas to be super rough.

So in short, does anyone have any opinions on cruising during the month of September? Am I just being a worry wort, and really there is nothing to fear weather wise? Thanks for any input! :)

Hurricane season is from something like June through November, so it's actually hard to NOT travel during hurricane season. Plan to arrive a few days before the cruise, and watch the weather ahead of time to see if you have to get an early plane.

If there's a hurricane they will do their best to get out of the way of the weather. That's the lovely thing about being on a ship instead of land. The ship can move.

Bring your sunscreen. And more sunscreen.

You could also do "My Time Dining" and set your own hours. You will pay gratuities when you pay off the cruise when choosing MTD, but it's very nice to be able to pick your own time for dining. When we used MTD we didn't book any dining until we got on board, then we found the dining desk and chose a time that night, and then for the rest of the nights. Had almost the same area first night to the rest of the cruise, and did have the same serving team.

Thanks so much for the reply bumbershoot! I know that hurricane season is a pretty big span so most people do travel during it but my biggest concern is that from articles I've read, September is when the Caribbean hurricanes peak so it makes me nervous, lol. But I tend to be a worry wort, and I know that no one can control the weather so basically you just have to go with the flow!

As far as dining goes, I actually really want MTD but for some reason, that option is not available on either of the options we are looking to take. I'm hoping it becomes available but I'm wondering if it has something to do with the ships wanting to change over to a "dynamic dining" type of style in the future. Guess only time will tell. I think the hubby is leaning towards the last week in September so hopefully the weather cooperates!!

They keep changing what they are doing about Dynamic Dining; not sure what the status is right now. Just keep an eye on the dining choices. If we think Disney's IT and website are terrible, Royal is even worse in many ways. So just be patient but keep checking. If you have a travel agent that will keep an eye on things for you (in other words, not Costco Travel, but an agency more like the Dis owner Dreams Unlimited), let them know what you want so if they see it pop up they can change it.

There are SO many options for seasickness; but since you didn't have it before, sounds like your system doesn't really mind the normal sea even if it minds cars or whatever gives you motion sickness. From the western drugs to SeaBands to a funky thing like a seaband I saw yesterday at our AAA office, ginger candies, ginger lozenges, gingerale (though most mainstream gingerales don't really have ginger in them), and even green apples dipped in salt! Many many options out there. :)

I wouldn't worry about hurricanes, I have heard that the ships could outrun them if they needed to. We are also taking out first cruise in September, on a Disney ship. If you're worried about sea sickness I would suggest you look up sea bands. They have really great reviews. I haven't used them yet, so personally I can't say if they work or not.

As far as seasickness goes I barely noticed we were moving on the Allure, whereas on a Princess cruise in 2007 I remember the movement as quite noticeable until I got my sea legs. So you should be fine on the Oasis.

As luck would have it, we experienced a hurricane on our very first cruise in 2004. Haha. We've been on 12 cruises now, and haven't had a hurricane since. We had to miss a port on that hurricane cruise, so that the captain could get as far away from the eye of the storm as possible, but it wasn't too horrible. The water was definitely choppy the next day (we sailed around the hurricane overnight), and it was windy, but from what I remember I think it was actually sunny? I didn't get any seasickness, but I honestly think I would if I experienced the same thing now. (I can't habdle motion like I used to)

For sea sickness, I agree about Sea Bands being good for motion. My MIL, who is a terrible traveler when it comes to motion, swears by them. (And she loves cruising). Bonine is a good non-drowsy motion sickness medication.

We have been on several cruises in September(Western Caribbean included) and have yet to experience a Hurricane. Also, the Oasis is not going to rock as easy as some of the smaller ships and in the Caribbean you should not notice much(until you get off) unless a storm does find your way. The trips in the Pacific etc. usually mean rougher seas.

We have cruised several times in Sept, smooth seas, actually smoother than in March.
Take ginger root along for sea sickness, it doesn't knock you out like Dramamine.

On my 1st cruise several years ago, I used Bonine successfully. I am highly motion sensitive. It was a relief to have the Bonine.

I wouldn't worry about the hurricanes either. Ships can always avoid hurricanes! We are actually booked on the September 12th sailing on Oasis with a group of friends... The dining is a bit of a mess on Royal right now because Oasis was supposed to switch to dynamic dining and hasn't... So we have MTD but out friends have late dining. HEADACHE. I don't think you would have an issue switching to early dining. We have cruised in September and October and had beautiful weather both times. It can be a little windy sometimes that time of year but the ocean is still warm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter