• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruising while pregnant

eyoreaud

<font color=peach>Who? Us? Nosey? NEVER!<br><font
Hi there :)

We are going on the Fantasy this November and my daughter will be 23 weeks and 6 days pregnant on our embarkation date, i have just read that DCL will not allow you to board if you are in your 24th week of pregnancy on embarkation day! im a little worried they won't allow her aboard :confused:

Has anyone had any experience of cruising whilst pregnant?

Any info would be helpful ie. how do they (DCL) know HOW pregnant you are???:confused:

Thankyou :thanks:

Hi there :)

We are going on the Fantasy this November and my daughter will be 23 weeks and 6 days pregnant on our embarkation date, i have just read that DCL will not allow you to board if you are in your 24th week of pregnancy on embarkation day! im a little worried they won't allow her aboard :confused:

Has anyone had any experience of cruising whilst pregnant?

Any info would be helpful ie. how do they (DCL) know HOW pregnant you are???:confused:

Thankyou :thanks:

The cruise contract reads:

27.The Guest or Responsible Adult, as the case may be, represents and warrants that the Guest is fit to travel and that the undertaking of this cruise, with any and all of its attendant activities, will not endanger the Guest or others. Guest and Responsible Adult authorize Carrier and its employees, agents and representatives to provide and\or procure emergency or urgent medical care or attention for Guest or Guest's minor child or ward, and Guest or Responsible Adult (on behalf of Guest's minor child or ward) hereby releases Carrier and its employees, agents and representatives from any and all liability whatsoever relating to the provision or procurement of such medical care. Guest agrees not to present herself for boarding under any circumstances if she will have entered the 24th week of pregnancy as of her embarkation date. Infants under 12 weeks old as of the embarkation date will not be allowed to travel aboard the Vessel.
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruise-contract/?country=us

They will not ask, but it's up to the cruiser how honest she wants to be. It appears that your daughter will have "entered her 24th week" so should not go.

If there are problems (either with your daughter or the baby) during the cruise, DCL will not be held liable, because she will have breeched the contract by going.

Here's a recent thread about the subject:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3136882&highlight=cruising+while+pregnant

The reason for the rule is that infants are considered viable after the 24th week. The onboard medical facilities are not equipped to take care of an infant at this stage. There are many threads discussing this in depth.

It appears that your daughter will have "entered her 24th week" so should not go.

This is correct. 23w, which means the 23rd week of gestation has been completed, is fine. As soon as one is 23w1d, the 24th week has begun and one should not board the ship from that point on.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

Thanks for the info, there seems to be some confusion here as my daughter won't have entered her 24th week untill the day after we embark. Think i'll give DCL a ring as we know it is important and don't want to break any rules unintentionaly

:goodvibes

Thanks for the info, there seems to be some confusion here as my daughter won't have entered her 24th week untill the day after we embark. Think i'll give DCL a ring as we know it is important and don't want to break any rules unintentionaly

:goodvibes

You specifically said she would be 23w6d. She enters her 24th week at 23w1d. Being 24w means one has already completed the 24th week and has entered week 25.

Think about age. When you turn 24, you have completed 24 years already. On the day after your 24th birthday, you have entered and are currently experiencing your 25th year.

Even simpler: since clinical viability is 24w, if she will be 24w or further AT ANY POINT WHILE ON THE SHIP, not just embarkation day, she is violating the rules and she should not board. If something happens, they will not have the proper medical facilities.

You specifically said she would be 23w6d. She enters her 24th week at 23w1d. Being 24w means one had already completed the 24th week and has entered week 25.

Exactly! The DCL 800# rep isn't going to know the answer to this. It's common knowledge that you can keep calling that number until you get someone who will tell you an answer you like or want. That doesn't mean that is the correct answer. The person you need to contact is your DD's doctor.

You specifically said she would be 23w6d. She enters her 24th week at 23w1d. Being 24w means one had already completed the 24th week and has entered week 25.

Think about age. When you turn 24, you have completed 24 years already. On the day after your 24th birthday, you have entered and are currently experiencing your 25th year.

Yes, this :thumbsup2.

Best explanation I've seen.

More importantly your daughter should discuss the cruise with her OBGYN. As to when you are considered 24 weeks along that too she should discuss with her OB. There is no concrete answer to when you enter a new week. That discussion went round and round on my birth board last fall.

Even simpler: since clinical viability is 24w, if she will be 24w or further AT ANY POINT WHILE ON THE SHIP, not just embarkation day, she is violating the rules and she should not board. If something happens, they will not have the proper medical facilities.

Actually, this isn't technically true. According to the quote in red that Princess Shmoo posted of the offical rule from the cruise contract, it does say embarkation day.

However, I agree with whoever said that the OB/GYN needs to be consulted. Often times people's dates are adjusted based on growth of the baby and other factors. Before canceling the cruise I would go check with the Dr and see what they say in regards to the actual week she will be on embarkation day. Also, as to the health of the Mom and baby. I would not want to risk cruising if there was a health concern, even if I was 23 weeks, or 20, or heck, even 15 weeks simply because I was technically within the rules. My health and that of the baby should come first. Cruises can be rescheduled.

Actually, this isn't technically true. According to the quote in red that Princess Shmoo posted of the offical rule from the cruise contract, it does say embarkation day.

Fair point. This does not change the fact that unless the doctor/midwife DRASTICALLY adjusts the baby's due date by a week or more (which can happen, but rarely does), OP's daughter will be boarding the ship after she has already entered her 24th week of gestation. It does not say "is 24 weeks or beyond as of embarkation", it says "entered 24th week." This is to avoid a pregnant woman completing her 24th week (identified as "being 24w" in medical circles) WHILE ONBOARD (which is exactly what is being described) and risking a clinically viable fetus in an emergency situation.

Obviously, the cruise contract is a huge issue for cruises that are longer than a week, as someone could board within the rules and turn 24w onboard.

Thanks for all your opinions, i will double check with DCL to be on the safe side and, obviously, if my daughter was not having a healthy pregnancy we would not even consider taking her aboard a cruise liner let alone a flight, that goes without saying :goodvibes and i do relise that of course my daughter and her baby's health come first and that we can cancel her cruise as hse has stated that a chilled week by the pool while we are away would also be lovely :thumbsup2

The reason for the rule is that infants are considered viable after the 24th week. The onboard medical facilities are not equipped to take care of an infant at this stage. There are many threads discussing this in depth.

They aren't just considered viable, they ARE viable.

Nancy, mother to a 24 weeker who is now 17 years old (and very glad she was born in a hospital with a level III nursery and not on a cruise ship)

Thanks for all your opinions, i will double check with DCL to be on the safe side and, obviously, if my daughter was not having a healthy pregnancy we would not even consider taking her aboard a cruise liner let alone a flight, that goes without saying :goodvibes and i do relise that of course my daughter and her baby's health come first and that we can cancel her cruise as hse has stated that a chilled week by the pool while we are away would also be lovely :thumbsup2

I would not want to go. With my last pregnancy, I went in to premature labor one afternoon with no warning. She was born that night. You never know what could happen and do you want that surprise on a boat who knows where?

Does your DD live in Scotland too? That would be a long flight on top of everything else. Where would she chill by the pool? If it's in Scotland, I hope it's an indoor pool. ;)

Congrats on the upcoming new addition to your family.

Yes will be travelling from Scotland and we are aware of how long the flight is, as we have done it many times :-) but she decided that she wanted to do it and her doc and midwife say its fine. No, chilling by any pool in scotland would be "chilly" by the pool! lol! :rotfl2: We will be spending 2 weeks in Orlando before our cruise so if anything changes my dd will be chilling by the pool in Florida and getting some rest while we cruise :-)

Thankyou we are very excited about becoming grandparents :-)

Nope. Wouldn't do it. We've had to have medical attention on a ship before and the are not very equipped to handle much. To be honest, I wouldn't cruise past 20 weeks probably.

Nope. Wouldn't do it. We've had to have medical attention on a ship before and the are not very equipped to handle much. To be honest, I wouldn't cruise past 20 weeks probably.

I totally agree. 20 weeks would be my personal cutoff as well.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I totally agree. 20 weeks would be my personal cutoff as well.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I wouldn't cruise pregnant at all. My first tri wasn't comfortable and I wouldn't want to be miserable on a cruise ship - morning sickness and motion sickness don't sound like a combination for a relaxing vacation. By the time I finished throwing up, we were coming into viability - and then I was on partial bed rest for pre-eclampsia.

I wouldn't take a long flight pregnant either - blood clots on a long flight are a risk for anyone - however, you are more at risk for thrombosis while pregnant because blood clots easier when you are pregnant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter