Cruising with disabled passenger?

g-dub

Earning My Ears
Myself, DW, DS16 and DS11 are booked on the October 21st eastern Caribbean 7 day cruise on the Fantasy. My mom's 70th birthday is coming up and we are considering surprising her with her own cabin on the cruise together with us. I think she would love it, and has mentioned how much she would love to go on a cruise. We are trying to plan ahead on how to deal with some mobility challenges, however, and interested to hear if anyone else has personal experience in how this would work.

She has several medical issues, mostly limiting her mobility, she can walk short distances alone but uses a walker for moderate distance and a wheelchair for any long distance walking. She has very limited vision and is legally blind, and is also fairly hard of hearing. Finally, she uses oxygen at night.

The only accessible cabins left on our cruise are interior cabins on Deck 2 - and we are booked on Deck 10, family verandah cabin.

Trying to decide if it would be better to book her closer to us on Deck 10 - or if the accessibility room would be more important? She is not wheelchair bound and walks fine on her own for short distances but some of things like ramped shower access and hand holds sound like they would be helpful for her...

Anyone dealt with oxygen on the cruise? What about wheelchair - should we plan on bringing hers or is there an easy rental option? We are planning on flying in Friday and staying at the Hyatt Friday night before departure day on Saturday.

We booked a charter to explore the baths on Tortola day - and she likely would rather stay on the ship for that day. Our tentative plan for St. Thomas was to get ourselves over to Trunk Bay, however. Anybody experienced in making that trip with someone in a wheelchair?

Any other tips or tricks? I think she will love the shows - looks there is wheelchair seating for the theater so no problem there...For the most part I think she will enjoy just being with the family for the week and sitting up on deck reading her book!

If it was my mom I'd rather have her near me. If she's alone they charge a supplement to make it cost the same as 2 people. Maybe you can put one of your kids in her room on paper and the child can actually sleep in your room. Just to make it cheaper. My parents are 68 and 73 and both have canes. They had a blast. They went off and did their own thing at their own pace and that seemed to work well for all of us. We always had dinner together and met up for lunch and shows and did excursions together. I picked stuff I knew they could do without a lot of walking. They made a lot of friends. My dad forgot his cane somewhere and he was able to buy one in the medical office for really reasonable. I can't remember how much but maybe around $30.

I tried to price the cabin with one adult and compared it to one with one adult and one child and seemed essentially the same - the child was charged a full adult fare if there was only one other adult in the room. Is there another way around this?

I tried to price the cabin with one adult and compared it to one with one adult and one child and seemed essentially the same - the child was charged a full adult fare if there was only one other adult in the room. Is there another way around this?
The first two people in any given room are charged full fare. Subsequent people have different rates, depending on age.

No. Because the child IS the second person. Just having one person in the cabin will be slightly less because the taxes and fees will only be for one person. But the base price is based on 2 people per cabin.

ETA: As usual, @PrincessShmoo beat me to it! :)

Myself, DW, DS16 and DS11 are booked on the October 21st eastern Caribbean 7 day cruise on the Fantasy. My mom's 70th birthday is coming up and we are considering surprising her with her own cabin on the cruise together with us. I think she would love it, and has mentioned how much she would love to go on a cruise. We are trying to plan ahead on how to deal with some mobility challenges, however, and interested to hear if anyone else has personal experience in how this would work.

She has several medical issues, mostly limiting her mobility, she can walk short distances alone but uses a walker for moderate distance and a wheelchair for any long distance walking. She has very limited vision and is legally blind, and is also fairly hard of hearing. Finally, she uses oxygen at night.

The only accessible cabins left on our cruise are interior cabins on Deck 2 - and we are booked on Deck 10, family verandah cabin.

Trying to decide if it would be better to book her closer to us on Deck 10 - or if the accessibility room would be more important? She is not wheelchair bound and walks fine on her own for short distances but some of things like ramped shower access and hand holds sound like they would be helpful for her...

Anyone dealt with oxygen on the cruise? What about wheelchair - should we plan on bringing hers or is there an easy rental option? We are planning on flying in Friday and staying at the Hyatt Friday night before departure day on Saturday.

We booked a charter to explore the baths on Tortola day - and she likely would rather stay on the ship for that day. Our tentative plan for St. Thomas was to get ourselves over to Trunk Bay, however. Anybody experienced in making that trip with someone in a wheelchair?

Any other tips or tricks? I think she will love the shows - looks there is wheelchair seating for the theater so no problem there...For the most part I think she will enjoy just being with the family for the week and sitting up on deck reading her book!

While I have not used them, Special needs at sea and walker mobility both offer cruise wheel chair services. And Disney has complimentary use of wheel chairs from the terminal to the ship. But I don't remember if they specifically have them for use on board. We cruised with an 81 year old this May and it was done well. Just be sure to plan your trips from the cabin appropriately.
I have cruised in a handicap cabin that was assigned as a GTY room (we didn't get a choice). There is lots more space in those rooms and the shower is ADA compliant, meaning you can roll in and there are support handles etc. The in-cabin showers have a rather steep step up and step down to get in and out.

As for location - that is entirely up to you. I would hope that with the words legally blind you may take the time to help her with things during the day and night. Also consider the ability of her to get in contact with you in case she needs something. Then think of how quickly you would be able to get to her. Going from Deck 10 down to deck 2 at 3 am isn't going to be fun, especially on formal night when the elevators are full of everyone in heels. But you know her and her abilities best.

As for Oxygen, you need to call up Special Services. More info is found here.

Your savings if you move someone into your mom's room will be one of the children's fares in your room. Don't move a child with her, though. Move yourself or your wife. In the unlikely event of a need to evacuate, you wouldn't want to have to send your child with grandma on the life boat, but rather, a capable adult.

Can you phone DCL and see if there are some HA rooms not listed that are closer to you or on a floor where you could move nearby (compromise?) Being alone and nearly blind, she might not appreciate being left eight floors away with no one to help her.

Also, I don't know you or your mom, but I'll throw this out there... my mom was saying things about wanting to go on a cruise, too, but when I suggested she come with us, she reminded me that her health issues would make the insurance costs too much, in addition to all the regular cruise costs. So, while she kept saying she wished she could go, she was never meaning 'surprise me and take me with you'. Your situation might be totally different, but make sure before you move anyone out of your room (and might not be able to move them back) or put money down that's not refundable.

Your savings if you move someone into your mom's room will be one of the children's fares in your room. Don't move a child with her, though. Move yourself or your wife. In the unlikely event of a need to evacuate, you wouldn't want to have to send your child with grandma on the life boat, but rather, a capable adult.

Can you phone DCL and see if there are some HA rooms not listed that are closer to you or on a floor where you could move nearby (compromise?) Being alone and nearly blind, she might not appreciate being left eight floors away with no one to help her.

Also, I don't know you or your mom, but I'll throw this out there... my mom was saying things about wanting to go on a cruise, too, but when I suggested she come with us, she reminded me that her health issues would make the insurance costs too much, in addition to all the regular cruise costs. So, while she kept saying she wished she could go, she was never meaning 'surprise me and take me with you'. Your situation might be totally different, but make sure before you move anyone out of your room (and might not be able to move them back) or put money down that's not refundable.
Very well put. I was concerned about putting a child in the room, if they wind up having to have mom that far away (for emergency issues).

Is there someone else your mom might like to take on the cruise? The cost difference I believe would only be port fees and taxes as your Mom would be charge for two adults anyway. That would allow for someone to help her to and from cabin. My mom was 78 last time we took her an given her age we had connecting cabins. Given her health issues I would not be comfortable have her staying alone in her cabin.

Have you checked to see if any connecting rooms are available still? It would make me too nervous to have her room alone, b/c of the combination of her needs. If she can't hear well, she might not hear the phone ring if you called, or knocking at the door, or if her hearing loss is bad enough - even the announcements over the intercom. Plus being legally blind and having mobility issues is going to make bathing, etc, in a new place somewhat complicated, particularly if the ship is rocking a bit. If you have connecting rooms, you could just leave the door open so she can call out to you, plus you could pop your head in to check on her. There is a curtain separating the queen bed from the area with the pull-down bed and fold-out couch. For our purposes, it just about gives our kids their own room, so it would offer some privacy if you end up having another family member stay in her stateroom. Your heart is in the right place, for sure, but this might be an instance where you ask her before putting any money down, just in case.

Since you're flying, your mom will need her wheel chair in the airports and the pre-cruise hotel. Definitely take hers along instead of renting one.

When we cruised with DMIL and her walker and wheel chair, it was easy to forget something. One trip she left her walker behind (because she used her wheel chair whenever she was with the family. She used her walker in the stateroom.) DCL was kind enough to mail the walker home to us. Another time, DMIL left her carry-on bag at the airport. It had her dirty undies, some Lladro figurine souvenirs, and some $1500 in cash. The airline was kind enough to fly it to our home airport, and we drove over and picked it up. When it arrived, nothing was missing.

Either count all your mom's gear each time you go somewhere, and/or assign someone to be responsible for each item. Make sure everything is meticulously labeled.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. Called today and no further accessible rooms available, but no issues with moving one of us into her room (on paper) to save at least one child's fare, thanks for that advice! We are inside PIF date but they will waive any change fees if we are adding a second room. Unfortunately sounds like whoever is moved loses their trip insurance and would have to repurchase, but that isn't much for one of the kids. Now to call mom and see if she actually wants to go! I will definitely make sure she is on board before booking anything...

Also good advice about moving one of the adults instead of one of the kids. That would cost more in repurchasing trip insurance, but probably worth it for peace of mind.

I cruise with both a son in a wheelchair and a sister with mobility issues. I would highly suggest that if you aren't able to get the accessible room, you place an adult with her at night. Please keep in mind that if she has to use the restroom, she has to step up into toilet area and it can be cramped. She will also have to step into and out of the shower and there are no bars for assistance, she can easily fall, especially being limited in vision. Also, there are bound to be some nights that the sea may cause the ship to rock and it can be extremely hard for her to get out of bed alone to go to the restroom and keep her balance. If she will be using a wheelchair, it will have to be kept in her room when not in use (it will have to be folded before going in the room since the doors aren't wide enough) and this can be a hazard to her as well if she were to trip over it. Remember that there are no cell phones to use on the ship and if she would fall, most likely she wouldn't be able to call for help. The wave phones can be difficult to use. Maneuvering around the room can be difficult, especially if the ship is rocking, please take every precaution for her. It would ruin your vacation if she would injure herself and be stuck in the stateroom for the duration of your trip or even worse if she needed to be taken to the local foreign hospital.

I cruise with both a son in a wheelchair and a sister with mobility issues. I would highly suggest that if you aren't able to get the accessible room, you place an adult with her at night. Please keep in mind that if she has to use the restroom, she has to step up into toilet area and it can be cramped. She will also have to step into and out of the shower and there are no bars for assistance, she can easily fall, especially being limited in vision. Also, there are bound to be some nights that the sea may cause the ship to rock and it can be extremely hard for her to get out of bed alone to go to the restroom and keep her balance. If she will be using a wheelchair, it will have to be kept in her room when not in use (it will have to be folded before going in the room since the doors aren't wide enough) and this can be a hazard to her as well if she were to trip over it. Remember that there are no cell phones to use on the ship and if she would fall, most likely she wouldn't be able to call for help. The wave phones can be difficult to use. Maneuvering around the room can be difficult, especially if the ship is rocking, please take every precaution for her. It would ruin your vacation if she would injure herself and be stuck in the stateroom for the duration of your trip or even worse if she needed to be taken to the local foreign hospital.

Yes,I agree. In fact I think we have decided that an accessible room is a must, regardless of where it is located.

I know I'm a little late responding, but I just ran across this thread and don't see any info to answer your questions about oxygen.

You'll need to contact DCL Special Services department and also complete their Special Services information form:
Phone: (407) 566-3602
Email: SpecialServices@disneycruise.com
Form: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/special-services-information-form/

You (or your mom) will need to make arrangements for the oxygen to be delivered to the ship. There are limitations about what and how much is allowed, so you'll need to get that info from DCL. Since you are within the PIF period, and supposedly the cruise is coming up fairly soon, I suggest doing this sooner rather than later.

Enjoy your cruise!

Last year we traveled with a family member that has severe mobility issues similar to your Mom’s, she is unable to walk and uses a wheelchair 100% of the time, has COPD (was NOT O2 dependent on this trip), and has several macular degeneration, she does not have hearing issues.

We were booked into an ADA stateroom, Disney Dream 5552. This was originally NOT the case. We had to call Disney and they reached out to the family that was originally booked into the room, they were not really in need of the room so it was reassigned. You may want to start with a call to DCL (or have your travel agent do so) and see if there really isn’t anything else available in a category you want.

As for motoring aboard…. We did rent a wheelchair from Disabilities at Sea. I would NOT recommend taking your own, it is very cumbersome and then it becomes luggage and is not always treated the best. The airports are very helpful for folks with disabilities. And, the rental was cheap!

My recommendation would to not be in a room that is not ADA for your Mom’s sake. The bathroom doors are small as are the walkways in a standard room. She will not be able to get through the room if she has mobility issues. You will not have room for her apparatus if you have a standard room either.

DCL was willing to provide O2 if necessary, it was a very very small charge, less than rental would have been.

Thanks everyone! An update...

We originally booked Mom in an accessible interior room on Deck 2 - but then an accessible verandah room on deck 6 opened up! So great - we moved her to that room with no problem - we are still on Deck 10 but she is directly below us on Deck 6 so a quick jaunt to her room to help.

We moved our oldest into her room on the reservation - so saved about $900 on the total fare. We moved the kiddo instead of one of the adults because moving staterooms does cause you to lose the vacation protection plan - and have to repurchase. Was much cheaper to do so for kids instead of adults, so we moved the kiddo instead. One nice tip given by the Disney CM on the phone - once we check in at Port Canaveral - we can move anyone to any staterooms with no change in fare - so we will move one of the adults to her room in case of evacuation once we check in.

We are renting a wheelchair through Special Needs at Sea - and renting a portable oxygen concentrator that plugs in at night - both will delivered to and from the stateroom so need to lug around.

I think we’re set! Thanks for all the advice!

Thanks everyone! An update...

We originally booked Mom in an accessible interior room on Deck 2 - but then an accessible verandah room on deck 6 opened up! So great - we moved her to that room with no problem - we are still on Deck 10 but she is directly below us on Deck 6 so a quick jaunt to her room to help.

We moved our oldest into her room on the reservation - so saved about $900 on the total fare. We moved the kiddo instead of one of the adults because moving staterooms does cause you to lose the vacation protection plan - and have to repurchase. Was much cheaper to do so for kids instead of adults, so we moved the kiddo instead. One nice tip given by the Disney CM on the phone - once we check in at Port Canaveral - we can move anyone to any staterooms with no change in fare - so we will move one of the adults to her room in case of evacuation once we check in.

We are renting a wheelchair through Special Needs at Sea - and renting a portable oxygen concentrator that plugs in at night - both will delivered to and from the stateroom so need to lug around.

I think we’re set! Thanks for all the advice!
Thanks for the update! I hope you have a magical cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter