Crystal Cruises bans Torontonians!

tlens

<font color=blue>You can put me in the straw categ
http://www.canada.com/toronto/story.asp?id=6DC5F5FC-6C12-4F18-B63E-856F6EC2D633

Since I'm an hour from Toronto and there is no SARS here, that's pretty scary! I hope Disney doesn't follow suit or I'd be pretty upset !

The CDC still has not listed Toronto as a place to avoid however:

"CDC officials previously said that people traveling to affected Asian countries consider postponing upcoming trips to those areas. But CDC is not making such a recommendation for Toronto, said spokesman Dave Daigle.

Instead, CDC said travelers should avoid settings where SARS most likely would be transmitted, such as health care facilities of SARS patients. Health alert notices on SARS also will be given to people entering the United States from Toronto.

Those who have had close contact with a suspected SARS case ? such as health care workers or family members ? also can be infected by the virus, the CDC said."

Spread of SARS

As of Monday, the CDC listed 38 people in the United States as probable SARS cases and 190 were listed as suspected SARS cases.

The World Health Organization on Monday reported 3,861 cases worldwide with 217 deaths.

From reading the article this is a real knee jerk reaction.
I don't live in Toronto either but was down there on the weekend, and wonder how many people in the past month have been there on business, holidays or personal business and have now returned to places all over the world. Literally thousands upon thousands.
Is Crystal going to get an itinerary of every guest's life for the past 4 - 6 weeks and then arbitrarily exclude them from the cruise. What about family from some small town in Iowa who sat in the airport beside a family from Arizona who sat beside some guy from just outside of Toronto?????
To try and say you're from Toronto so you're excluded?!?!?
Ridiculous.
Cheers,
Grumbo

I agree. I understand the concern but I guess I wonder what they mean by the Toronto area.

I just said to my husband, thank God we are flying out of Buffalo and that we are an hour from Toronto. We are purposely going to stay away from Toronto the 2 weeks before we leave so that if we have to fill out a questionaire (which I'm sure we will, there will be no reason to exclude me if it comes to that). If I am barred because I live in the same province as Toronto, I will be extremely upset. (we leave May 18th on the Wonder).

I just returned from Toronto... I didn't let it affect my travel plans whatsoever (it was a business trip). I think people (media-lead) are overreacting personally.

I visit Toronto every April and I love the city!!!

GO MAPLE LEAFS :)

Yep Pugdog007 the Maple Leafs DID GO...
Straight to the golf course!!! :p
Cheers,
Grumbo

I'll be visiting Toronto in June for a mom's only weekend! I can't wait!! I saw it's listed as a "hot spot" for SARS, but there were no travel advisories last I checked! It will be my first time in Toronto!

We are booked for the western cruise on 8/16/03
and getting a little nervous about all that sars.
-
It's 4 months away but with Crystal cruises banning
poeple fom Toronto, will other cruise cie. join them ?
-
We are flying from Montreal to Toronto and then to Orlando, how does that count ?
-
How do Americains deal with sars right now ?
How is the health department is seiing this ?
Just need some reassuring....

Steff
:confused:

Buzz638. I surely hope that by August this is all a thing of the past. If you were flying in the next 3 weeks like we are, I would be really nervous about the connection in Toronto (not for catching SARS but I would think they would classify that as visiting Toronto since people from Toronto would be on that flight).

The US department of Health (sorry if I have the agency wrong) is urging caution when travelling to Toronto and and advisory is up from WHO about Toronto. While its scary, there have been no cases not linked back to the original so I guess its just being overly cautious).

I am just so glad we are flying out of Buffalo. One less thing to make us potentially be excluded.

tlens thank you for the info!

And for everyone's sake i sincerly hope all this
gets resolve very quickly...
-
Have a nice and problem free vacation...

steff ;)

And right now, I'm waiting for an Air Canada policy announcement that will assist us in moving our points-based flights through a Gateway like Denver or Chicago. I believe there is a very real possibility our cruise may be in jeapoardy if we can't find a viable option, and I'm not much of an alarmist.

I think the WHO advisory as an over-reaction -- but based on all of the recent announcements and reactions, I expect it to influence policy. For anyone travelling soon, you should know DCL does ask passengers if they have been in *or through* a list of Asian cities in the past 10 days. If the answer is 'yes', boarding is denied. Those cities are on the WHO list.

The last thing I would want to do is add fuel to the fire about Toronto -- I love the city and think that the WHO announcement is overly cautious -- BUT, policy is policy, and *if* Toronto is added to that list, you will probably want to do want you can to avoid being 'in or through' the city at least 10 days before your cruise.

Hi Northern Mouse.

I feel so bad for your stress. I really hope that you can change your flights even if it requires a fee. Unfortunately from what I under stand, Air Canada is not allowed to stop in US cities where they would pick up US passengers so unless they can move you to American Airlines, you may be out of luck changing the flight. Do you need to change planes in Toronto? Perhaps you can divert to Montreal or Hamilton on Tango.

How did you hear they refuse boarding. I asked my TA today and she told me so far it is just Crystal refusing passage. Carnival is banning only people form Asia at this time, not Toronto.

Hi, tlens. I spoke to DCL this morning, and they are denying passage to people who have been to the Asian cities which the WHO list, not Toronto. But, *if* Toronto gets added to that list as a result of the WHO advisory, one would want to be aware of the implications.

I myself have decided to be prudent, have paid my cancellation fees, and rebooked us from Calgary through Denver. (Coming home via San Francisco) Considering we live in Edmonton, it's a bit of a travelogue, but the only points partner AC has is United. (now, let's keep our fingers crossed UA stays out of bankruptcy! Talk about running the gauntlet)

However, I don't really feel good, personally, about avoiding Toronto.

The Disney Cruise Website says.....................

Will travel advisories for people traveling from southeast Asia affect my cruise?

Along with nearly all major cruise lines, Disney Cruise Line will not allow guests who have been in or transited through Mainland China, Hong Kong, Singapore or Hanoi, Vietnam, within 10 days prior to the sail date to board Disney Cruise Line vessels. The World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) have issued travel advisories for people traveling from these areas, and Public Health officials have advised that the SARS virus appears to primarily involve people who have traveled from or through these areas.

As was mentioned it refers to the WHO list. Keep my fingers crossed re this.
The announcement is on their website at http://www.who.int/csr/sarsarchive/2003_04_23/en/
However if SARS is as virulent as some think, I wonder how long it can be kept in check. Hopefully it will be.
Cheers,
Grumbo

Well Toronto has been added to the WHO updated advisory as place not to travel to!! :eek:
I'm glad I was on my Cruise last year at this time, because who knows how the cruise companies are going to react to this news?: :confused: :confused:

Wow- the stress you must be under- I hope that everything works out with your switching flight plans. I think WHO may be overeacting but it is sort of scary. But I''ll take my chances sailing with someone who has merely "run thru" Toronto. I don't know- we could come in contact with such a travelor anywhere- like the grocery. You can only be so careful. The whole affair is getting messy. I wouldn't be surprised if the airline refuses to stop in Toronto now- if noone wants the Torontians then why would the airline pick them up?
It is unsettling for me- it must be absolutely unnerving for you with so much at stake. Take a deep breath, things will work out I am sure. Soon you will be sipping wine with us in the Walt Suite!
Please know that you will remain in my prayers until I hear definately that you have alternate flight plans that do not include Toronto! After that you are on your own! lol

I think it was incredibly dumb for them to do that. It's not like you are from anywhere in Asia. And for all you hockey fans, you gotta go witht the Red Wings. Although nothing happened this year, all of them are hall of famers and will win it again next year!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter