• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Crystal Palace Buffet

99% of people are going to grab the tongs at the top. Grab them farther down or bring your napkin with you to handle the tongs. Just because you see something others have used doesn't mean you have to use it the same way.
I think you are missing the actual grossness. It isn't that the tongs are unsanitary and it is gross to grab them. It is the tongs are unsanitary and are touching ALL THE BUNS. lol

New topic:
I booked lunch here for the 50th Anniversary weeks ago. I really hoped character dining would return by October 1st. That is looking unlikely with only 10-days to go. Anyone care to speculate wildly on whether I will be pleasantly surprised?

Covid is pretty much completely airborne, which is why buffets are being re-started. We now know that this kind of thing isn't an issue.

As to whether or not other people are gross, well that's your own decision...
To clarify, Covid has been and is mostly droplet. Though some research is starting to show that it might be starting to get better at being airborne.

New topic:
I booked lunch here for the 50th Anniversary weeks ago. I really hoped character dining would return by October 1st. That is looking unlikely with only 10-days to go. Anyone care to speculate wildly on whether I will be pleasantly surprised?

I really don't think you'll be pleasantly surprised. But really ...who knows. My thought is they would have already done it by now with the lower September crowds. It makes no sense at all to bring it back during a period that is guaranteed to be as close to mass hysteria as they've seen in years. Besides, I was there at Boo Bash a couple weeks ago and Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore, and Tigger looked very content working from a safe distance!

Grab them farther down or bring your napkin with you to handle the tongs
Hmm will be there on Saturday.

for some reason I had expected folks would be directed to put disposable gloves on when going thru the buffet line. :confused3

maybe I’ll just skip the tongs & use my napkin to grab the roll & run:duck:

I don't use the utensil. Much better to feel up a few rolls to make sure you get the perfect one. Plus you don't have to worry who touched the utensil before you. Boom, problem solved.

I appreciate your reply more than all the complaints. It seems everyone comes here to complain more than inform. A little humor goes a long way. If you can’t stand a few germs don’t go to a buffet. If the Golden Corral gags you at home it will do it at Disney too.

I appreciate your reply more than all the complaints. It seems everyone comes here to complain more than inform. A little humor goes a long way. If you can’t stand a few germs don’t go to a buffet. If the Golden Corral gags you at home it will do it at Disney too.
Just using humor to point out the lunacy of thinking that buffets are the gravest threat to people at Disney. If the thought of tongs touching rolls sends someone over the edge, they might want to rethink their vacation plans.

Sanitation concerns aside, how was the the food? I've seen some savage reviews on the food itself since the buffet came back.

Let's hope you don't do the same with Mac & Cheese or Mashed Potatoes...lol

Well... with Mac & Cheese or Mashed Potatoes, you do have to use your finger so can get a sense of how hot/fresh they are. Now some people use their pinky so it doesn't dip as much into it, but I recommend sticking with your index finger as I feel you'll get more accurate sense of the temperature and texture. You don't want lumpy mashed potatoes or dry mac & cheese. The added bonus though is that you can lick it off your finger for a taste so you can determine if it should take up the space on your plate before you move on to sample the next item!

I don't want the stale ones, so I take nibbles until I find a good one. Usually only need to taste three or four when it's busy. When it's less busy, and the turnover is slow, I bring one of the kids with me, and we usually find some together. I've gotten some weird looks, but I try to offer good ones that I've tested to other patrons to show good will.
You are hilarious and I bet, make every trip a fun one :rotfl2:

Not sure we’d do again. Food was just ok for most part. Prime rib, desserts & these guys were standouts Dungess crab as in DCL, unfortunately it was rather water logged
10FF7873-26DC-4AC8-8749-2DC6CD7A292F.jpeg

Anyone with a dairy allergy try to new Crystal Palace?

Yeah, I know - first world problem, but I was hoping to dine at Crystal Palace to bookend our family's WDW tradition. This was the first WDW restaurant we took the family to when DD was weeks old and DS two years.🥰 Upcoming is what we think is our last family trip before DD and DS become their own adults out of college.:scared1: But I'm not going just for mommy memories if the food won't be enjoyed by two dairy allergy members of our family. CP used to have allergy options, but it's not looking as good now.

TIA for any allergy insights on the "new" CP buffet.

Anyone with a dairy allergy try to new Crystal Palace?

Yeah, I know - first world problem, but I was hoping to dine at Crystal Palace to bookend our family's WDW tradition. This was the first WDW restaurant we took the family to when DD was weeks old and DS two years.🥰 Upcoming is what we think is our last family trip before DD and DS become their own adults out of college.:scared1: But I'm not going just for mommy memories if the food won't be enjoyed by two dairy allergy members of our family. CP used to have allergy options, but it's not looking as good now.

TIA for any allergy insights on the "new" CP buffet.

There is a very clear allergen guide for each of the items that they give you when you're seated. The chef will come out to discuss your needs, and you can opt for the chef to bring you items from the kitchen rather than the buffet line. I just did this with a gluten allergy and the experience was fantastic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter