CSR - Accessable Room ?

Claudia Kellenberger

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone !

When I get to CSR in December, I may want to ask for an accessable room because I may need one, although I will not be in a wheelchair.

In order to make the room accessable, do they remove anything like a closet or something ? I have already booked a king bed room.

Thanks!

Hi Everyone !

When I get to CSR in December, I may want to ask for an accessable room because I may need one, although I will not be in a wheelchair.

In order to make the room accessable, do they remove anything like a closet or something ? I have already booked a king bed room.

Thanks!

All accessible rooms are king bed rooms, but not all king beds are accessible.

You need to request it before you go; not when you get there.

While not all rooms that are accessible will be needed, if all the king bed rooms are booked for that particular weekend. Some people have been known to obtain accessible rooms, without asking, because they booked a king and the resort was full that week.

The bathroom is made accessible in the moderates, by removing the closet in order to provide ample room for the toilet, sink and roll-in shower.

Hi Everyone !

Thanks!

Due to new federal regulations, reservations for accessible rooms have changed dramaticly this year. All those rooms are now a seperate category for booking. Features such as roll in showers, grab bars in bathrooms, equipment for hearing impairment, etc are already built into the rooms. If you want such a room, you need to reserve it ahead of time. Once those rooms are gone, there is nothing that the front desk can do. Each resort has a limited number of rooms and each is a seperate category, such as Garden View with roll-in shower, Theme Park view with roll in shower, etc. If by "accessible" you mean extra floor space in the room, then rooms with roll in showers are normally set up with enough room for wheelchairs to move around easily.

I saw that someone on the board stated that all handicapped rooms have King beds. That may be true at some resorts (value?) but not at all. I know of mulitple accessible rooms with two queen beds.

The accessible room we stayed in provided a king bed, clothing armoire with a lower hanging rack, larger entry into bath area, roll in shower with fold down seat. If I am remembering correctly (I may be confusing it with another resort) the toilet and sink were in the same area as the shower.

The room was very well planned out as I was travelling with my DM in a large wheelchair and we had no problem wheeling her around. Even with the wheelchair in the room there was space to walk around. We had a connecting room for my DH and DD and this was over Christmas so there was a lot of stuff (Christmas tree and presents) everywhere but we had no problem.

If there is a chance you will need a handicapped room you really need to let them know now. If it changes and you don't need it you can always call and switch it to a regular room but there are only so many handicapped rooms in the hotel and you don't want to get stuck.

I hope they haven't put two beds in an accessible room. there definitely would not be enough room for a wheel chair to get around if there were two beds.

Yes, they have updated the moderate resorts. I know there are photos of POFQ and POR's rooms with roll-in-showers showing two beds. I have a friend who has stayed in one of the POFQ rooms using a manual w/c and had no problems getting around in the room.

I hope they haven't put two beds in an accessible room. there definitely would not be enough room for a wheel chair to get around if there were two beds.

BillSears that posts here on the DIS has posted pictures of the handicapped room he stayed in at POFQ. It had two queen beds. He uses a manual wheelchair. I believe he said it was fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter