Cuban cigars?

Heatherdbby

Mouseketeer
My husband wants to buy a few cuban cigars from a shop close to the terminal in grand cayman. Their website says authentic Cubans.. can he bring these back through customs? Is there a limit

The law changed a few years ago. You still cannot buy Cuban cigars while in Cuba, but you can now buy them from a third country and bring them back for PERSONAL use. (Still illegal to import them to sell in the US) It will be duty free unless you bring in more than 100 cigars.

The law changed a few years ago. You still cannot buy Cuban cigars while in Cuba, but you can now buy them from a third country and bring them back for PERSONAL use. (Still illegal to import them to sell in the US) It will be duty free unless you bring in more than 100 cigars.
Well, my friend did this and they were confiscated. He was told returning to the U.S. that the law bans cigars of "Cuban origin" without regard to which country you bought them in. HOWEVER, looking online there appears to be a difference of policy in different ports and airports. So just be prepared to have them confiscated, and hope they aren't

Per the US Customs website: "Persons subject to United States jurisdiction may purchase or acquire goods of Cuban origin, including alcohol and tobacco products, while they are in a third country for personal consumption outside the United States."

In other words, I believe that you can buy them on Grand Cayman, bring them onto the boat, and smoke them in smoking areas. But you can't bring any through American customs.

In Nassau, Grand Cayman, Canada, and other countries there are lots of counterfeit Cuban cigars, advertised as made in Cuba. I'm not sure how you determine that those you buy in these areas are legitimately Cuban and not imitations. A web search may help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter