• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Culture trends you dislike?

Why does "Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls" offend anyone? How about they say "Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls and dreamers of all ages. That would be totally inclusive and offend no one. It would cater to the small minorities while also keeping the large majority of purists happy. The problem is that the majority always has to bow to the minority, in the name of inclusion, even if that inclusion is against their deeply held religious or moral beliefs. Why can't the original phrase stay, while adding the caveat of dreamers of all ages to be inclusive to the small minority that find the original offensive.
Personally I think they truncated it just to be shorter. I have no issue with them keeping it and adding on dreamers of all ages but honestly it seems to me that you’re more worried about having to give up some things than to just want to make space for more people.

It’s not a big loss to be called ladies and gentlemen boys and girls is it really? Does it hurt you personally somehow? Sometimes we have to realize that we’re going to have to occasionally just give up stuff and space to make space for people who haven’t been seen before. Because everyone deserves to be seen.

Why does "Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls" offend anyone? How about they say "Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls and dreamers of all ages. That would be totally inclusive and offend no one. It would cater to the small minorities while also keeping the large majority of purists happy. The problem is that the majority always has to bow to the minority, in the name of inclusion, even if that inclusion is against their deeply held religious or moral beliefs. Why can't the original phrase stay, while adding the caveat of dreamers of all ages to be inclusive to the small minority that find the original offensive.
Because it's othering the minority.

I heard from a cast member that the practice of calling young guests Princess and Prince will be done away within the near future. I find this to be upsetting as well because the fantasy and suspension of belief that surrounds children, at the Disney parks, is what makes them special and not just another Six Flags or the like. I am the proud parent of both a child that identifies as male and a child that identifies as female and they loved being called Princess or Prince when they were small children as we visited the parks. My daughter who is now 20 jokingly asks why she no longer gets called princess by cast members. She is in college and just about as forward thinking and liberal leaning as a 20 something college student can be and while she does see why non gender conforming individual's could possibly feel slighted or left out she also feels that this practice is a huge part of the Disney magic and something she remembers fondly. I think this is a key reason why parents are asking for Government and corporations to stay neutral when it comes to children and the pushing of gender identity and gender roles at such young ages. Just let them grow up and decide for themselves. Let them be children, why they are children. Any parent of adult children will tell you that the precious time of childhood wonder goes by all too quickly and that all children regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or anything else you can think of should be allowed to remain wonderous children who get lost in fantasy as long as they can. It is adults who are continuously making kids responsible for things and pushing self awareness at a way too early age that are ruining this time for children. I ask any adult here when you were 4 years old and visiting a Disney park, did you ever once question your gender identity or even think about how you felt internally about your sex as you met Mickey or Minnie for the first time. I am going to guess the honest answer would be I was just a kid in wonderous amazement surrendering to the fantasy of meeting a cartoon character that I adored. Leave the grown up stuff for a later time and let small children be small children as long as they can. Its called the innocence of youth for a reason.

Last edited:
Personally I think they truncated it just to be shorter. I have no issue with them keeping it and adding on dreamers of all ages but honestly it seems to me that you’re more worried about having to give up some things than to just want to make space for more people.

It’s not a big loss to be called ladies and gentlemen boys and girls is it really? Does it hurt you personally somehow? Sometimes we have to realize that we’re going to have to occasionally just give up stuff and space to make space for people who haven’t been seen before. Because everyone deserves to be seen.

Personally it does not hurt me in any way and I do not personally have a problem with being inclusive of everyone. I just wish some of the tradition and values that appeal to the majority would be taken into consideration before the knee jerk reactions are made to placate a small, although very loud, minority.

Personally it does not hurt me in any way and I do not personally have a problem with being inclusive of everyone. I just wish some of the tradition and values that appeal to the majority would be taken into consideration before the knee jerk reactions are made to placate a small, although very loud, minority.
Times change and sometimes that means giving up stuff to make space for others. Dreamers of all ages is lovely and inclusive of everyone.

And as for minorities being loud it’s because they have to be because for too long they’ve been shoved down, hidden corners and not heard.

Change never comes by being silent. Interracial marriage would still be illegal if people stayed silent. Gay marriage would still be illegal if people stayed silent. Equality only comes by speaking loudly. Women didn’t get the right to vote by sitting quietly in their homes and saying hey can you can please consider us. They loudly protested and demanded it. Change comes when people are willing to speak out for it. Rights come when people demand them.

Times change and sometimes that means giving up stuff to make space for others. Dreamers of all ages is lovely and inclusive of everyone.

I'm just going to get a little pedantic on ya, but it's not really. What if someone isn't a "dreamer" really? I don't really think of myself as one. I might be a tad too pragmatic for that, so am I therefore left out of that group?

That said, I generally agree with you, however it also doesn't bother me to be included or not in the introduction - it is what it is and is not worth the mindshare worrying about it. There's the cultural trend that I dislike - having to care so much about everything. Always pick a side. Always toe-the-line. I don't want to be pressured to have strong feelings about literally everything.

Last edited:
I'm jsut going to get a little pedantic on ya, but it's not really. What if someone isn't a "dreamer" really? I don't really think of myself as one. I might be a tad too pragmatic for that, so am I therefore left out of that group?

That said, I generally agree with you, however it also doesn't bother me to be included or not in the introduction - it is what it is and is not worth the mindshare worrying about it. There's the cultural trend that I dislike - having to care so much about everything. Always pick a side. Always toe-the-line. I don't want to be pressured to have strong feelings about literally everything.
Honestly I think they could’ve gone with welcome friends and that would’ve been great. Personally I think caring about things is part of being human. You don’t have to have strong feelings about anything. But others that do shouldn’t feel that they can’t have them. I don’t consider it always toe the line as much is finding out information and deciding what I believe in.

Honestly I think they could’ve gone with welcome friends and that would’ve been great. Personally I think caring about things is part of being human. You don’t have to have strong feelings about anything. But others that do shouldn’t feel that they can’t have them. I don’t consider it always toe the line as much is finding out information and deciding what I believe in.

Certainly anyone can have strong feelings about the things that they have strong feelings about, however it's the very prevalent "if you're not with me you're against me" mentality that I find quite disturbing, and it's happening all over. As a moderate-type of person I find it difficult.

I actually like "Welcome friends" better than other ideas.

Last edited:
Certainly anyone can have strong feelings about the things that they have strong feelings about, however it's the very prevalent "if you're not with me you're against me" mentality that I find quite disturbing, and it's happening all over. As a moderate-type of person I find it difficult.

I think you've put into words how I feel. I've always said that I'm not a world changer and as I've hit my 50's, I've come to feel like that's ok. Not everyone has to be a mover and a shaker. I've always been a middle of the road person and for many topics, I can see both sides. I work for a midwestern agricultural company and we have a couple of people who go to DC to basically lobby for various things that will affect the farming communities in our trade area. He has said many times that he can go and lobby for his cause, but that he could just as easily (as in have points to make in the argument) lobby for the other side. There are typically valid points on both sides.

I find many of the younger teachers and service provides are calling the students “friends”. Hello friends. Follow me friends. Listen friends. Ugh. So annoying.

We are not their friends.

I guess they are taught not to use boys and girls or ladies and gentlemen too.

I find many of the younger teachers and service provides are calling the students “friends”. Hello friends. Follow me friends. Listen friends. Ugh. So annoying.

We are not their friends.

I guess they are taught not to use boys and girls or ladies and gentlemen too.
Why can't they just say kids or students? "Friends" implies that they are on equal footing, which they are not.

While I agree with you in theory I also think that for certain subjects it is very much "if you're not with me you are against me". A lot of the current society divisive subjects are very much related to human rights after all. I find it impossible to be neutral in the question of who can be allowed to exist in public and have human rights when that is being challenged and attacked. And if those folks are against me, why would I want to have anything to do with them? What's that religious phrase about nobody being left to speak for me? Or the one that goes something like the only thing needed for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing?

Last edited:
While I agree with you in theory I also think that for certain subjects it is very much "if you're not with me you are against me". A lot of the current society divisive subjects are very much related to human rights after all. I find it impossible to be neutral in the question of who can be allowed to exist in public and have human rights when that is being challenged and attacked. And if those folks are against me, why would I want to have anything to do with them? What's that religious phrase about nobody being left to speak for me? Or the one that goes something like the only thing needed for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing?

I'm not talking about matters of good and evil - I'm just talking about the general expectation these days that everyonebhave an extreme opinion on literally everything, and that you be 100% on whichever side you are on. This could apply to broad social/societal issues or even to what movies and TV shows one likes and why. Literally everything has a faction, and it's becomming less acceptable not to be in one.

I never said that I don't care about certain things, some very strongly even, but rather it's about the expectation that I have to, and that if you knew my stance on a certain thing that you know my stance on all things - that's what I take issue with.

Last edited:
...and that if you knew my stance on a certain thing that you know my stance on all things - that's what I take issue with.
Exactly. Someone can be a very good person without being 100% "right" (whatever that means to someone else) on every issue. Demanding perfection from everyone, all the time, is setting us all up for disappointment.

I certainly agree that speaking up to help people is a good thing, but leading by example wins people over far more often than fighting with them does.

Exactly. Someone can be a very good person without being 100% "right" (whatever that means to someone else) on every issue. Demanding perfection from everyone, all the time, is setting us all up for disappointment.

I certainly agree that speaking up to help people is a good thing, but leading by example wins people over far more often than fighting with them does.

That's a good way to describe it - "perfection." I see so many out there letting "perfect be the enemy of good." Everything these days has to be 100% - all in, all the time. How is that even possible when sometimes people on the "same side" don't agree on the best course of action?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter