Curious about if this would be a DAS qualifier as its mobility related but not?

Queen of the WDW Scene

It's only MY opinion, YOU decided to quote it.
I have night blindness.
Dark, winding, long lines are difficult for me.
I cannot see what direction to walk and often come home with a few bruises from running into posts.
I do hold onto a friend/family member in the lines but that can become tiring for longer waits.
I am physically capable of walking/standing.
What would help is... minimal amount of time in the dark and/or a more direct route from line entrance to ride vehicle.
Would you consider this a qualifier?
I never used to have night blindness but developed it after retinal detachment.

You can stop by GR and talk to them about your needs but I do not think the DAS will help you as much as you think. I know someone that use a small flash light in dark lines

Agree with the PP. What you are describing wouldn't be assisted by DAS, as it is generally much darker in the rides themselves than the queues - and where they ARE dark a flashlight would be much better for assisting with that particular problem. I don't believe visual impairments (even total blindness) qualify for DAS accommodations if that is the only thing that needs accommodating.

There's using a flashlight, but with some of those lines, the flashlight is more of a hindrance than a help. Plus, I wouldn't want to aggravate people who are enjoying the dark line. Offhand, I'm thinking of Space Mountain where it's not TOTALLY dark, but it isn't super well-lit either. Or it's lit from the floor. I do not have vision problems, but it can be difficult to walk through some of those lines.

The rides being dark isn't really an issue-- you're safely within a ride vehicle and not in danger of running into things. Plus, the focal points are illuminated well. I run into things in some of those lines (I'm lookin' at you, POTC, and Indiana Jones at Disneyland, and one vicious post in Frozen), and I'm not visually impaired at all.

I don't know about the DAS, but I can't imagine there's absolutely nothing that can be done to help you. You may be in a position to be explaining to every CM at the beginning of the ride what you need and the nature of your problem (to return and go through and have a direct line to the ride car and not wind through a line you have extremely limited vision in).

It isn't like you're trying to game the system-- you're willing to wait the time that it takes, but spending 45-90+ minutes holding onto someone and having the possibility of moving suddenly can be taxing. It isn't even like you're trying to avoid the lines in most rides like Small World or Soarin', just the darkest ones, which in the grand scheme of the parks, is just a handful of rides overall.

Hopefully someone with more experience comes along to help. I guess my advice is to give it a shot to see if they can help you. Also, report back and let us know if DAS is a possibility or not.

I have use flash light in the line for space and POTCB ( I fell down the step in space when I tried to go in with out it) no one said a word to me about my flashlight. For space the standby and FP are right next to each other until you get to the switch back and that area is lit so not sure how much the DAS would help. You really might do better with the flashlight on your phone and your friend family helping you just turn it off for the preshow and you would be fine

Aren't the FP queues just as dark and pretty much parallel to the standby queues? You'd have to be able to move much faster in the FP queue than you would in the standby queue, which I think would make it harder to navigate?

I do have a flashlight and have brought it with me and have used it but have also been asked to turn it off because while its tiny it is mighty. (Which is what I'd need. a phone flashlight isn't gonna cut it. I need everything illuminated not just 1 foot in front of me as I would then still need to hold onto someone so what would the point of a flashlight be?)

It really is a handful of rides like POTC, Space, Under The Sea, FEA...

The stop and go is definitely a challenge when I don't realize we are stopping or going and some lines its hard to even hear when my sister says stop or go.

I suppose I will just continue on with how I currently do things and just expect the stress, bumps, and bruises along the way.

Aren't the FP queues just as dark and pretty much parallel to the standby queues? You'd have to be able to move much faster in the FP queue than you would in the standby queue, which I think would make it harder to navigate?

A number of FP lines have less switchbacks.
As I said at least not having to be in the dark holding onto someone for a longer period of time would cut back on the arm strain and stress of sudden stop and go.

But I will just continue on how I have been. I guess the bruises will remind me of the fun I had lol.

A number of FP lines have less switchbacks.
As I said at least not having to be in the dark holding onto someone for a longer period of time would cut back on the arm strain and stress of sudden stop and go.

But I will just continue on how I have been. I guess the bruises will remind me of the fun I had lol.
I bump onto things all the time when I was younger my teacher though I was being abused ( I was not ) I can not even tell you how many bruse I get after a trip from Disney I would go in with your flash light and the next tine someone say something to you just look at them and say oh I would love to trade my night blindness for your good eyes can we make this trade now or at the end of the ride ( my friend sad this to someone and it was priceless) she can use her phone light but still needs to either walk right behind one of us ( and she Hs to look at the floor and wil still run into thing just not as much

Also not sure if I read it here or my friend told me that for people with night time blindness red ( I think this was the color) light help you see better and also dose not have to be as bright any ways just someone remember hearing ( and it might not work for everyone or I could be thinking of something else)

Also not sure if I read it here or my friend told me that for people with night time blindness red ( I think this was the color) light help you see better and also dose not have to be as bright any ways just someone remember hearing ( and it might not work for everyone or I could be thinking of something else)

We used red flashlights in the military for night time maneuvers/hikes. It's less disruptive to others than a regular light and it helps keep your eyes from having to adjust so much between a bright light and the darkness.

@Queen of the WDW Scene, I don't know how well it works for those who have night blindness, but I would recommend giving it a shot to see if it helps.

I do have a flashlight and have brought it with me and have used it but have also been asked to turn it off because while its tiny it is mighty.
Then you just tell them you can't turn it off, you need it to see.

I would think the best option would be Fastpasses.

Last edited:
You can certainly request a DAS. It may be granted. How useful you find it may be questionable. I don’t have to deal with vision disABILITIES but that is one area for which I have read Disney does not have great accommodations. But everybody's needs may be slightly different so you may find it to be adequate. Please report back your experience.

Enjoy your vacation!

The stop and go is definitely a challenge when I don't realize we are stopping or going and some lines its hard to even hear when my sister says stop or go.

When I was in University, I volunteered with the campus' Office for Students with Disabilities as a sighted guide. One semester, the student I was paired with was blind but also had some loss of hearing. In addition to her holding my arm and me using spoken cues, we also made use of hand signals to indicate stopping, starting and turns. I don't remember what the signals WERE, but the student taught me them and they worked pretty well.

Would something like that work ? You could make up your own signals. And obviously it takes some practice. I will admit to forgetting more than once, especially at first, but with practice it became fairly automatic. Of course, a campus is a pretty open space and we walked what came to be the same routes, so not like Disney ....

SW

When I was in University, I volunteered with the campus' Office for Students with Disabilities as a sighted guide. One semester, the student I was paired with was blind but also had some loss of hearing. In addition to her holding my arm and me using spoken cues, we also made use of hand signals to indicate stopping, starting and turns. I don't remember what the signals WERE, but the student taught me them and they worked pretty well.

Would something like that work ? You could make up your own signals. And obviously it takes some practice. I will admit to forgetting more than once, especially at first, but with practice it became fairly automatic. Of course, a campus is a pretty open space and we walked what came to be the same routes, so not like Disney ....

SW
I guess I'm confused about how hand signals work when you cannot see the person's hands?
Since I need to be behind the person in line due to limited room I actually hook a lanyard onto the person's bag so I can be far enough behind to not step on their heels

SW

I also helped out some blind students at my school. It was so rewarding. one person I help out I was say something like ok we are going to make a left up here ( I was helpng her fiend her class on her own using clue with her cain) and most of the time I got my right and my left backward she would say to be dont you meant left. I asked her how she knows that and she said because you were looking away from me ( so looking right instead of left). Ok off topic but i thought it was funny.

I guess I'm confused about how hand signals work when you cannot see the person's hands?
Since I need to be behind the person in line due to limited room I actually hook a lanyard onto the person's bag so I can be far enough behind to not step on their heels

if you hold the person arm just above the elbow you have a much better sense of if they are stopping or going or turning also you can hear them much better since you are right next to them a very few lines you might have to be behind/ side of them a little more then next to them. there were a few times with my friends the walkway got super crowded and walking side by side was not posable so she went behind me a little and I went a little slower. but if you are holding a string/ Layard I can see how that would be hard.

I also helped out some blind students at my school. It was so rewarding. one person I help out I was say something like ok we are going to make a left up here ( I was helpng her fiend her class on her own using clue with her cain) and most of the time I got my right and my left backward she would say to be dont you meant left. I asked her how she knows that and she said because you were looking away from me ( so looking right instead of left). Ok off topic but i thought it was funny.

if you hold the person arm just above the elbow you have a much better sense of if they are stopping or going or turning also you can hear them much better since you are right next to them a very few lines you might have to be behind/ side of them a little more then next to them. there were a few times with my friends the walkway got super crowded and walking side by side was not posable so she went behind me a little and I went a little slower. but if you are holding a string/ Layard I can see how that would be hard.
It's hard to hold onto the person's arm when it's summer especially we get so sweaty and since the person I'm with usually wears flip flops I need to be far enough away to not step on the back of their feet.
Using the lanyard has given me a bit more freedom.
My dad's friend is blind and he knows how to lead well but I'm not traveling with my dad most of the time plus as I said the sweat is real lol so I have come up with alternatives. As I said I guess it's status quo and I should expect the pain and remember the fun.

It's hard to hold onto the person's arm when it's summer especially we get so sweaty and since the person I'm with usually wears flip flops I need to be far enough away to not step on the back of their feet.
Using the lanyard has given me a bit more freedom.
My dad's friend is blind and he knows how to lead well but I'm not traveling with my dad most of the time plus as I said the sweat is real lol so I have come up with alternatives. As I said I guess it's status quo and I should expect the pain and remember the fun.
ok except the pain and remember the fun. also, the few lines are indoor ( this is why you would need help since it is dark) and the inside lines have AC some times very cold the few rides you listed have some of the coldest AC in all of Disney. sorry if your going to shoot down every and any idea to help you well I hope you have a good trip

ok except the pain and remember the fun. also, the few lines are indoor ( this is why you would need help since it is dark) and the inside lines have AC some times very cold the few rides you listed have some of the coldest AC in all of Disney. sorry if your going to shoot down every and any idea to help you well I hope you have a good trip
My question was simply if posters thought I would potentially qualify based on my needs. I asked for nothing more. I have my own ways to cope so that was not what I was asking. So sounds like what I am doing is status quo for my particular needs so I will continue on with what I have found hinders me the least. Thanks for your time.

Touch. You're holding your sister's arm, he tape that hand once for stop, two for steps. Or something. You create your own signals.
I'm not holding my sisters hand.
You mentioned fastpasses therefore I assume you feel I would qualify for DAS as you would wait elsewhere and then walk though the fastpass line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter