Curious on room occupied/DND signs -- what can we put up on door?

kniquy

DIS Veteran
So now they have the room occupied signs which obvious does not restrict them from knocking and attempting to come in. Is it possible to include a sign (maybe something you bring) that might say -- do not disturb baby sleeping until 2pm or whatever it would need to say. Giving a specific time when they can come back. Would this prompt the staff to not even bother knocking thus waking the child and maybe to return at 2pm -- or is there tactic a surprise room check.

I would imagine that reasonable time frames for quite would be acceptable. Certainly you can not say only that you are sleeping all day long everyday, you must give a time frame as to the quiet time they need to respect.

If a phone call to a CM is what can make this happen i don't know that i would trust the information would be properly communicated -- we all know how disney IT is so systems tend to be lacking.

I don't have little ones who nap now, but i remember those nap times are gold so if you mess with that you end up with a cranky kid.

I get they are trying to provide an element of safety and to hopefully prevent a possible situation, but if they are trying to keep this the happiest place on earth then there needs to be some respect and boundaries that we as the customer can set.

Your suspicions are correct - it is supposed to be a surprise room check. Putting anything on your door or mentioning that you want some privacy is the BEST way to get a security check, from what I have read on the DIS...

You can put whatever you want on the door
Disney is under no obligation to heed it.
Exactly. You are free to put the sign out. It will be pointless though. It won't prevent them from doing their room check if they come by to do it

Wouldn’t it just be best to have housekeeping come clean your room? They nearly always come in the morning and my kids would never nap in the morning.

My plan is to request morning housekeeping because I enjoy mid day break for some pool time then rest time. I really hate these “security” checks that accomplish nothing except annoy the inmates er guests.

Wouldn’t it just be best to have housekeeping come clean your room? They nearly always come in the morning and my kids would never nap in the morning.
Yes. While not foolproof method to avoid an encounter it does cut down on problems.

So now they have the room occupied signs which obvious does not restrict them from knocking and attempting to come in. Is it possible to include a sign (maybe something you bring) that might say -- do not disturb baby sleeping until 2pm or whatever it would need to say. Giving a specific time when they can come back. Would this prompt the staff to not even bother knocking thus waking the child and maybe to return at 2pm -- or is there tactic a surprise room check.

I would imagine that reasonable time frames for quite would be acceptable. Certainly you can not say only that you are sleeping all day long everyday, you must give a time frame as to the quiet time they need to respect.

If a phone call to a CM is what can make this happen i don't know that i would trust the information would be properly communicated -- we all know how disney IT is so systems tend to be lacking.

I don't have little ones who nap now, but i remember those nap times are gold so if you mess with that you end up with a cranky kid.

I get they are trying to provide an element of safety and to hopefully prevent a possible situation, but if they are trying to keep this the happiest place on earth then there needs to be some respect and boundaries that we as the customer can set.
from what has been posted a sign out or refusing house keeping seems to be the fastest way to get the security knock. it appears the best way to avoid room check is to have house keeping each day and make sure you are napping after they are done with your room each day

So not to hijack the thread, but any experiences (positive or negative) with napping babies? My 1 year old generally naps around 1:00. I would be crushed if a loud knock on the door a few minutes into her nap woke her up. We always bring a noise machine when we travel with the kids, so hopefully that will block it out.

I wonder if you could use a sort of reverse psychology in your request? Instead of saying, "Baby sleeping please come back after 2pm," you could try a sign that said, "Ready for housekeeping" and hang that whenever you were out? That way you are not triggering their, "Oh oh, they want to be left alone, they must be hiding something!!" red flag, but rather are inviting them in.

Welllllll - HAVE been thinking of printing up a "Pooping - come on In" sign :). Gonna let the WDW CMs chose.... it's very hard to rattle us :).

I think we have to remember that Disney can't possibly accommodate everyone's sleep patterns, nap schedules, or shower times.
So I am wondering -- say you are in the shower, you have put up the door lock so that it opens partially and they come and knock and knock, but you don't answer because you are in the shower and can't hear.

Do they -- Try back in a little bit or do they have a means of releasing those locks and will come in anyways?

I'm mean there has to be some privacy -- there are many adults couples going to WDW and they might find time for a little afternoon delight. Does this mean that romantic time is only for at night. Are there only certain hours that they do the room checks? or could they be popping in at 8pm or 8am and anywhere in between. Nothing ruins the mood more than a CM attempting to come in.

So I am wondering -- say you are in the shower, you have put up the door lock so that it opens partially and they come and knock and knock, but you don't answer because you are in the shower and can't hear.

Do they -- Try back in a little bit or do they have a means of releasing those locks and will come in anyways?

I'm mean there has to be some privacy -- there are many adults couples going to WDW and they might find time for a little afternoon delight. Does this mean that romantic time is only for at night. Are there only certain hours that they do the room checks? or could they be popping in at 8pm or 8am and anywhere in between. Nothing ruins the mood more than a CM attempting to come in.

There have been no reports of Disney bypassing the latch.

I think we have to remember that Disney can't possibly accommodate everyone's sleep patterns, nap schedules, or shower times.

Exactly. And I bet they are willing to do only so much back tracking to try and accommodate everyone's requests for their checks to be done during a specific time frame.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter