• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Curious. What is your home resort, how many points, and why....

We purchased 300 in Jan. 2007 at SSR. We split our contracts so "ONE DAY" each of our three children could have a contract. We love staying at SSR and love DTD and being close is super nice. I love the views looking out across at DTD and love looking back at SSR when we are at DTD.

Then in Aug. of 2008 we added on 100 points at AKV sight unseen. We did it over the phone and had not even stepped a foot in AKL or seen the models. We were NOT disappointed. We stayed there this past summer on the Kidani side, 2br savanna view and LOVED LOVED LOVED IT. I keep my eye on the resale websites for smaller contracts. That is what we will do next (well not anytime soon) but I would like to keep my eye open for smaller contracts as far as adding on goes.

We have stayed at SSR, AKV, OKW, BWV and BCV and have enjoyed them all. We have our faves and so far we are just happy that we have been able to get into them when we wanted. :thumbsup2

200 points at SSR, DH got me for my b-day in Oct. 2006.:cake:

We love SSR, but our favorites are BCV (have stayed there 3 times) & AKV (have stayed there 3 times as well).

We haven't stayed at BLT but may try it as DS11 REALLY wants to.

People that have different points at different places....why?

Can you combine these points and have one huge Cruise or anything else? Or would they be separate vacations? Like the 30 points at BWV....What can be done with those?

I guess combine to other points? Does it just give you another option to book 11 months out?

:rotfl2: Cruises are VERY point intensive...30 points wouldn't get your big toe on the boat!!

We own 250 points at SSR split into 2 contracts. Master contract is 200 points and we did a smaller one for 50. We did the 50 just in case we ever decided we had too many points :lmao: or in case we just needed some quick cash...someone is always looking for smaller contracts for add-ons so smaller contracts are easier to sell. If you go to sell you have to sell them the way you bought them. So if you buy 300 pts. in 1 contract and want to sell only 150 you cannot. It's all or nothing.

Our measley 250 points go a lot further at SSR or AKV than they do at more point intensive resorts like BLT. For instance when I went to book a trip for next year over spring break we could basically get 2 more nights at AKV than we could at BLT for roughly the same number of points. That's significant IMO so we booked AKV. We like SSR a lot too but we just really wanted the most bang for our buck for this trip. We typically get at least 2 full weeks out of our 250 points during the course of a year (we stay in studios).

Oh lookie...it's the Maryland trio...all in a row...:rolleyes1 Imagine that!

910 points total:

210 BCV ...like location ...central to EPCOT
300 SSR ...Orginal Contract
400 AKV ...Purchased Site Unseen...incentive

We've been to each resort, Although the animals are nice, AKV is too dark for us. We prefer BCV and SSR more. I'd like to try boardwalk, and we tried OKW. We were in a studio, handicaped one at that...wasn't bad, but prefer other places better.

Our home is SSR and we have 200 points. I wanted to be able to stay in a 1 bedroom most of the time and we could do that with 200 points most times of the year. If we wanted to make more than one trip, we could stay in a studio and make it work also. We stayed at SSR and OKW last September and liked SSR better.

Boardwalk Villas -570 points (4 contracts)- turned down OKW in 93 somewhat due to location and also no financing with a minimum 230 points. We had to finish paying off a second mortgage and waited for BWV

We are new DVC members with only 100 points (for now) at BCV.

100 points ($85) purchased cash resale (it was what we could afford).
BCV because before we went to Disney in 2008, we were going to buy a beach place. Decided to buy the beach place at Disney! :goodvibes

We will probably purchase 50 additional points at AKV when we can afford them.

We have twins (7), and we are comfortable in studios. I am amazed at the number of points others have. We have figured that with borrowing until we add on, we can do a ten-day trip in the summer each year or a shorter stay in summer and a long weekend in winter. (I am a teacher, so travel time is limited.)

Enjoy your planning and decision making.

We own at SSR and have 250 pts. The friends and family promo that Disney was running at that time was to good to pass up.

We have 315 points.

165- AKV - DS is an animal nut... and he gets it from his mother. ;) He already wanted to spend about half of every trip at AK, so we thought regularly getting savannah view was the way to go. If, eventually, he gets to the point where he doesn't care as much about animals, I know I'll still enjoy them!

150 - BWV - Location, location, location. We knew we wanted BCV or BWV. I kept an eye on the resale market, and found a perfect BWV contract before I found a perfect BCV contract, so BWV it was. (It was a situation where I actually preferred BCV, but DH and DM both preferred BWV.)

Why DVC? We were going about every 9 months, we always stayed in deluxes, and my DM often came with us so we needed two rooms or a suite. We have a 4 year old DS, and we're currently waiting to adopt, so we know we'll have many years ahead of us taking kids to WDW. If they ever tire of it, we're perfectly willing to leave them with grandparents and use the points ourselves! (DH is already grumping about how much less we can do during F & W when DS is along. :lmao: )

As far as more points go... we don't know yet. We are likely to get another timeshare in a couple of years, probably in Hawaii, and we are waiting for more info on the Ko'Olina DVC before we decide which one to buy. We love WDW, but we don't ever intend to spend all our vacation time and money there. If DVC continues to expand into other areas (Hawaii, the possible one in the DC area), we are more likely to get more DVC points than another timeshare.

We bought 350 points at BLT (300 then a 50 add on). Because between BLT and ALK we liked the decor the best. Also once we learned we could get a 2BR on the monorail it sold us.

We had gome 9 times in the last 7 years so we figured that we'd keep going (we love it there). We just got back and I have to say that being on the monorail and within walking distance to MK was Wonderful and all I thought it would be. We actually did the "take an afternoon break" something we could never do before because it was too much to get them all out and then back into the park.

• Home Resort: SSR
  • How many points? 335 total points, 3 different contracts
  • Why? ... answered below
We knew we wanted BWV -- absolutely certain. In 2003 we started looking for resale contracts ... bid on one, then another. Both fell apart before reaching ROFR. In January 2004 we visited the sales center, met with a new guide and put down our credit card to join the waitlist for "BWV, 200 points, Dec UY." He phoned us a few months later with great news, "Your resort is in!" Paperwork was rushed out to us through a friend in Oregon as DVC wasn't yet papered to sell to CA residents: SSR, 150 points, Oct UY. :confused3 We went back and forth by phone for awhile ... and he eventually talked us into SSR instead of BWV based on the extended contract expiration date, lower dues ... and the assurance of having no trouble booking BWV for our annual January stay at the 7 month window. We pushed back on the UY and he resent new paperwork for Dec UY -- which arrived again showing Oct. We caved and accepted Oct.

So ... knowing that we needed 200 BWV DEC, we started with 150 SSR OCT and open acceptance of eventual add-ons. While we first thought we'd seek add-ons for BWV -- we ended up buying our add-ons at SSR (25 points then later 160 points). So far, so good. We've been fortunate so far booking BWV, Vero, AKV, and OKW at either the 7 month window or earlier through II/RCI. Turns out our guide was SPOT ON! regarding Oct UY over Dec UY as it opens a new door to future visits during F&W. (Looking forward to that someday!!) So, Jeff -- if you are reading this, "YOU WERE RIGHT! (Thanks!)"

PS: Looking forward to staying in the Treehouses in early December this year. The Treehouses were an unexpected gift to SSR owners! :banana:

Home Resort: BWV
Why?: Well, we were married in Disney at the Yacht Club and the Epcot resorts are our fave location to stay, so when I was looking into resales, this is the contract that we could afford to buy outright.

Also, my hubby and I are both military, so we never know when we can actually take our vacations and I've never booked anything, including my wedding, farther out than 5 months, so for us a small contract that we can bank/borrow and take trips worked out perfect till we either get stationed closer to Florida, or we move there permanently after we are done with our 20 years each (only 3 more years YAY!).

I think the biggest reason for me to buy a small contract resale was that I could pay cash, keep the number of points small since we could be living overseas and not be able to make it back to the US for vacation, and I still have a leg in for when I am ready to buy more points. I would love to get more points...someday! :)

Delightful story! Thanks for sharing it -- and thank you for your service!

Home Resort: BWV
Why?: Well, we were married in Disney at the Yacht Club and the Epcot resorts are our fave location to stay, so when I was looking into resales, this is the contract that we could afford to buy outright.

Also, my hubby and I are both military, so we never know when we can actually take our vacations and I've never booked anything, including my wedding, farther out than 5 months, so for us a small contract that we can bank/borrow and take trips worked out perfect till we either get stationed closer to Florida, or we move there permanently after we are done with our 20 years each (only 3 more years YAY!).

I think the biggest reason for me to buy a small contract resale was that I could pay cash, keep the number of points small since we could be living overseas and not be able to make it back to the US for vacation, and I still have a leg in for when I am ready to buy more points. I would love to get more points...someday! :)

Delightful story! Thanks for sharing it -- and thank you for your service!

Thank you for your support! It means so much to those of us in the military when people come up and say thank you! It's a great reminder of why we stay in the military!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter