Current timeframe for refunds from DCL canceled cruises

n2mm

aka WALTSGIRL
I’ve canceled 3 cruises recently And waiting for refunds to show up on my credit cards. They were only deposits and before the PIF dates. The last time I canceled one (February 2022) I started seeing some of the funds show up on my visa about a week after canceling, MasterCard took several weeks. I know how the refunds break down exactly how payments were made, 3 placeholders and additional payments as they were made. What timeframe are people seeing now since the recent dcl upgrade? Thanks for any input.

I asked my TA to cancel one for me last week. I still haven't received anything from DCL. No email, and no refund to my cc.

I cancelled last week Tuesday on June 7 and I received an email the same day. I received the refund 1 week later on June 14. It was just the deposit on 1 credit card.

Thanks For the help. Ill give it another week before I have my TA check. All reservations disappeared off our accounts Immediately.

I started seeing some of the funds show up on my visa about a week after canceling, MasterCard took several weeks.
Just to note that this discrepancy is likely due to the financial institution, not necessarily DCL. It sounds as though your MC bank may be slow to process refunds.

Just to note that this discrepancy is likely due to the financial institution, not necessarily DCL. It sounds as though your MC bank may be slow to process refunds.

yes, I absolutely agree. I was using my MC for years, mostly because it has some travel insurance. But after the last cancellation taking a long time I switched back to my Dis Visa. But these current cancellations all have very old placeholders that were extended a few years, so unfortunately I’m sure they are part of my MasterCard. Plus additional deposits everytime I changed the cruise starting back in 2019….I was mostly wondering if the DCL upgrade issues were affecting refunds. It doesn’t appear to be the case. It’s probably MC.

Partially related question.
If one cancels a cruise and choses that the funds be applied to a future cruise rather than refunded; can you use a TA for such 'future cruise'?

Partially related question.
If one cancels a cruise and choses that the funds be applied to a future cruise rather than refunded; can you use a TA for such 'future cruise'?
I'm not sure I understand correctly... usually if you cancel a cruise, DCL refunds any amounts paid to-date back to the original form(s) of payment. If you are asking about changing the date - that would use the existing funds towards the new date. But no, you could not transfer the reservation to a TA unless it were less than 30 days from initial deposit (of the original date). If you want to transfer to a TA -- or just have a TA book a new cruise -- you'll need to cancel and rebook so there is a fresh reservation number attached.

Did you book directly though Disney? I booked through Costco and cancelled. After a month, I called asking where my refund was and told that I had to wait at least 6 weeks. At the 6 week mark, I called again because I still hadn't received my refund. At the point, they looked into it and for some reason assumed that I wanted Disney credit instead of a refund, so my money was sitting there as credit. I explained that I wanted my money, and from there it took 2 more weeks. I have no idea why they thought I had wanted credit. I guess my point is to make sue that they know that you want your money, not credit.

Did you book directly though Disney? I booked through Costco and cancelled. After a month, I called asking where my refund was and told that I had to wait at least 6 weeks. At the 6 week mark, I called again because I still hadn't received my refund. At the point, they looked into it and for some reason assumed that I wanted Disney credit instead of a refund, so my money was sitting there as credit. I explained that I wanted my money, and from there it took 2 more weeks. I have no idea why they thought I had wanted credit. I guess my point is to make sue that they know that you want your money, not credit.

yikes, that’s terrible. I use a DU TA for many years. I’ve done cancellations many times, unfortunately. The funds do show up. The only time we had an issue was when dcl canceled because of hurricane and my daughter used gift cards. My TA called dcl and got a list of all gift card numbers and amounts going back to each one.

I submitted a cancellation request on Monday for a cruise we booked through Costco so I can rebook a GT rate (using dreams this time) and I haven’t heard anything from them and the reservation is still showing up. Definitely never using Costco to book a cruise again.

I submitted a cancellation request on Monday for a cruise we booked through Costco so I can rebook a GT rate (using dreams this time) and I haven’t heard anything from them and the reservation is still showing up. Definitely never using Costco to book a cruise again.
Call Costco. I called them yesterday to cancel and rebook a cruise to the VGT rate. Got a Costco rep on the phone in 10 minutes. He had to wait another 30 minutes for a DCL rep. The actual process took the DCL rep an hour to switch over. No clue what was so complex about a cancel and rebook.

The phone wait times appear to be normal again. Give Costco a call.

So, maybe this applies:

I've had a TA the whole time, though, so not trying to add a TA in the middle.
I had a cruise for September 2022. We cancelled it and applied the money directly to a new cruise with a new reservation number. (So I didn't get a refund).

keep a eye on that. When my TA canceled my 3 cruises last Monday and Tuesday they disappeared from our accounts immediately.

Call Costco. I called them yesterday to cancel and rebook a cruise to the VGT rate. Got a Costco rep on the phone in 10 minutes. He had to wait another 30 minutes for a DCL rep. The actual process took the DCL rep an hour to switch over. No clue what was so complex about a cancel and rebook.

The phone wait times appear to be normal again. Give Costco a call.
Thanks - I got through and cancelled in only 4 minutes (since I'm not using them to rebook). Now to just watch for the refund.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter