Current wait time surprisingly low?

Well looking a wait times in the App.... it sure doesn't look all that slow today.

But as I said... there is a reason they started unblocking most days in the summer for AP holders. It's just not as busy that time of year as it once was.

We just returned from a short trip July 5-9. Did one park each day. Very very slow compared to the same time last year. Literally small wait times even with the tour groups. I did, however, LL 7D, FOP, Tron, GoG, and Rise. Also used G+. I use a scooter and my way of gauging crowds is my ability to move through them quickly. It was so light that I had zero issue and no one even walked in front of me! That's a first.......

I don’t think it’s necessarily the cost of a Disney park day, but more the cost to get there!

Southwest airfare used to average $119/way non-stop from my Northeastern airport to Orlando. Even less with a sale. So less than $250/person round trip.

Now, one way can be $250! So the cost went from $250/person to between $400-$500/person! For a family of 4, that’s an extra $1,000 before they have even left the airport.

I don’t think that people aren’t going at all from my area, but, I think they are making fewer trips. It’s no longer practical to go multiple times a year or even once a year and pay so much in airfare.

I also think post Covid people have changed their views on vacation. Before, you would schedule trips around school and work. Now, many people seem to feel differently and will miss school and busier work seasons for vacation. So some of those who used to say they ‘had’ to visit Disney in the summer may have changed their outlook and will visit at another time of the year.

Well looking a wait times in the App.... it sure doesn't look all that slow today.

But as I said... there is a reason they started unblocking most days in the summer for AP holders. It's just not as busy that time of year as it once was.
Everyone saw the reports of slow crowds and quickly booked trips.

I think that just like car prices and home prices, many people are looking for any sign of some kind of a collapse in attendance to help drive down prices.

In the end, Disney has balance crowds vs. profits vs. guest experience.

If tickets were $100, but every ride had a 3-hour wait, that would also be miserable.

I don’t think it’s necessarily the cost of a Disney park day, but more the cost to get there!

Southwest airfare used to average $119/way non-stop from my Northeastern airport to Orlando. Even less with a sale. So less than $250/person round trip.

Now, one way can be $250! So the cost went from $250/person to between $400-$500/person! For a family of 4, that’s an extra $1,000 before they have even left the airport.

I don’t think that people aren’t going at all from my area, but, I think they are making fewer trips. It’s no longer practical to go multiple times a year or even once a year and pay so much in airfare.

I also think post Covid people have changed their views on vacation. Before, you would schedule trips around school and work. Now, many people seem to feel differently and will miss school and busier work seasons for vacation. So some of those who used to say they ‘had’ to visit Disney in the summer may have changed their outlook and will visit at another time of the year.
IDK if I agree with that 100%. Ticket prices have gone up, and I think people can deal with that. Genie+ is almost required to enjoy the parks and that adds $100 per day for a family of four. Then add in one LL purchase of another $80 and you are adding $180 per day to a Disney trip. We are DVC/AP holders and our current 8 day trip will be $1400 more because of what has been added. It has gone too far and even Iger has basically admitted so.

Everyone saw the reports of slow crowds and quickly booked trips.

I think that just like car prices and home prices, many people are looking for any sign of some kind of a collapse in attendance to help drive down prices.

In the end, Disney has balance crowds vs. profits vs. guest experience.

If tickets were $100, but every ride had a 3-hour wait, that would also be miserable.
Are your thoughts your opinions or are the based on some factual data?

I'm surprised that so many are shocked at the low wait times. Disney is too expensive now, the parks are filthy and in disrepair, and the rides constantly go down. Hardly worth the cost.
I just looked at the wait times on My Disney and was amazed at how many rides, in all the parks are down right now. Its almost like they had a power failure there. Wow!!

I just looked at the wait times on My Disney and was amazed at how many rides, in all the parks are down right now. Its almost like they had a power failure there. Wow!!
Right now there are thunderstorms in the area, so that's why all of the outdoor attractions are closed. If you look at Universal all of their outdoor rides are closed too. There was a rumored power outage yesterday at MK though which closed a few rides for multiple hours.

There was a huge storm and lightning that rolled in not long ago. We are staying at BRV and pools were shut down by 2:30 pm today and have not opened back up yet because storms haven’t yet passed.

Right now there are thunderstorms in the area, so that's why all of the outdoor attractions are closed. If you look at Universal all of their outdoor rides are closed too. There was a rumored power outage yesterday at MK though which closed a few rides for multiple hours.
good to know thanks!!

Lots of big thunderstorms today. It started early.

1689028131044.png

This is a good point and I think you’re right. I don’t have a kid in school any more, but if I did, I would be rolling my eyes if a school tried to give me any crap about missing time at a desk after what happened during the pandemic. That’s all I’ll say about it to avoid veering into politics.

I guarantee you people (in general) are more willing to take vacations during the school year than before. Up until high school we had no issue with a week of school missed anyway, so I’ve been to WDW once or twice a year for 20+ years and never set foot there between early May and late September. Others feel differently and that’s fine, I’m not gonna debate my choices from 10+ years ago :).

The point is I’m confident that will contribute to the shift toward summers not being as busy in years past.

This is a good point and I think you’re right. I don’t have a kid in school any more, but if I did, I would be rolling my eyes if a school tried to give me any crap about missing time at a desk after what happened during the pandemic. That’s all I’ll say about it to avoid veering into politics.

I guarantee you people (in general) are more willing to take vacations during the school year than before. Up until high school we had no issue with a week of school missed anyway, so I’ve been to WDW once or twice a year for 20+ years and never set foot there between early May and late September. Others feel differently and that’s fine, I’m not gonna debate my choices from 10+ years ago :).

The point is I’m confident that will contribute to the shift toward summers not being as busy in years past.
I agree that it has shifted the crowds away from summer but not to make up for attendance being down 23% from last year. I really do think price is playing a factor now

I can't confirm anything because I haven't been since April 2022, but there was a news item on my local radio station this morning that the average ride wait time is below pre-pandemic levels. And the culprit seems to be increased prices.

My family used to go to Disney parks 3 or more times a year. Not trying to start a fight, but the stress and overplanning killed it for me. We're going to our local Cedar Fair-owned park and Universal instead.

It’s many factors, price and value are one of the factors no doubt. Price of the parks, price of air travel and car rental, overall inflation, etc.

It is an "all of the above", even more beyond these factors. It's gonna be a rough year or two for park attendance without a catalyst to turn it around. Disney is trying to rely on catalysts that don't "cost" them much revenue (bringing back the Dining Plan for 2024, but with almost no savings, putting out the 4 day $400 summer ticket for 2023, etc). It may take much more than that...or it may take Disney accepting a lower level of revenue from the parks...

It is an "all of the above", even more beyond these factors. It's gonna be a rough year or two for park attendance without a catalyst to turn it around. Disney is trying to rely on catalysts that don't "cost" them much revenue (bringing back the Dining Plan for 2024, but with almost no savings, putting out the 4 day $400 summer ticket for 2023, etc). It may take much more than that...or it may take Disney accepting a lower level of revenue from the parks...
The flip side is if you need to lower ticket prices by 20% to get 20% more people into the parks is that the right move? You could argue that the lower crowd levels creates a better experience and better chance at repeat business.

There’s not just one reason but many. Attendance patterns are changing.

The wayback machine archive reveals how summer rack rates and DVC point charts have decreased in summer and increased during fall. This has been shifting for years. It used to be just a fraction of guests researching WDW trips. The ability to do it on our phones was a game changer. Now it can be done anywhere, anytime.

It’s hard to prove any of this. One thing that does is looking how many more fansites there are year on year on year. They’ve been growing almost exponentially. And what do almost all of them have in common? They state: Avoid summer if you can! It is hot and crowded. If you cannot, here are our super special hints and tricks to make your summer stay the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter