Current water levels for ECVs on boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
If I want to get from the MK to WL on an ECV, how are the current water levels for getting on a boat? I thought I remember reading somewhere that there are times when the water levels are such that ECVs can't be accommodated and have to take the bus. I'd really like to take the boat (heading over for lunch), but would it be safer for me to be sure and take the bus next week?

We took the boat from MK to Fort Wilderness in November without issue.

I've read this too, but DH and I never have had an issue other than waiting for a second boat because the first boat was smaller that can't accept ECVs.

We have run into it from time to time, but it’s fairly rare. If it happens, there will be a sign at the boat docks and CMs directing guests what to do.

The boat captains have multiple tricks they can use that usually work.
If the water is high, they may have the rest of the guests stay on the boat and unload wheelchair/ECVs first. The weight of the passengers holds the boat closer to the dock. If they need the boat to float higher, they will unload everyone else first

Nope - no ramp - they just use the other passengers to stand on the other side of the boat if the boat is below the dock and or vice versa if the boat is higher

I've also seen the captain ask the passengers to stand on the opposite side of the boat so the edge of the boat rises up enough to meet the height of the dock and the ECV was then able to board. Then when docking, the captain asked the passengers to stand on the opposite side of the boat again and the the ECV off first.

Quick question: Do the Friendship Boats (that service the Boardwalk area resorts to HS and Epcot), accommodate ECVs?

If I want to get from the MK to WL on an ECV, how are the current water levels for getting on a boat? I thought I remember reading somewhere that there are times when the water levels are such that ECVs can't be accommodated and have to take the bus. I'd really like to take the boat (heading over for lunch), but would it be safer for me to be sure and take the bus next week?

I've never personally heard of such a thing.

For over a decade, I used an ECV and stayed at Fort Wilderness 3 or 4 times per year, usually for one week, but sometimes two weeks at a time. We are semi-local but enjoyed staying on site.

The boat captains are experts at loading ECVs. Since the boats have to be fairly level with the dock, the captain will either load, or unload, other guests depending on the conditions. Of course you need to be patient while the captain levels things up, so you likely won't board at place in line. Same with leaving the boat. The captain will get you to leave the boat at the exact right time.

Boat captains have always been super communicative, polite, and professional with dealing with me on an ECV, unlike some bus drivers. They will definitely make sure you know what they need you to do, and will guide you off and on safely at any time of day.

I've never personally heard of such a thing.

For over a decade, I used an ECV and stayed at Fort Wilderness 3 or 4 times per year, usually for one week, but sometimes two weeks at a time. We are semi-local but enjoyed staying on site.

The boat captains are experts at loading ECVs. Since the boats have to be fairly level with the dock, the captain will either load, or unload, other guests depending on the conditions. Of course you need to be patient while the captain levels things up, so you likely won't board at place in line. Same with leaving the boat. The captain will get you to leave the boat at the exact right time.

Boat captains have always been super communicative, polite, and professional with dealing with me on an ECV, unlike some bus drivers. They will definitely make sure you know what they need you to do, and will guide you off and on safely at any time of day.
been a number of years but yes it has happened that Captain could not level the boat enough to get my scooter on. we had to go back to bus stop and catch bus to the Lodge to get to MK. does not happen often but has happened

It would be very rare, though, to be turned away because of water level.

We were told upon asking once how often that happens that it's usually tropical storm-related--too much water--and had only happened once in that skipper's dozen or more years there. Based on what he said, we guessed the parks would be closed before that became an issue.

We've never experienced any serious level issue but were told at the IG dock once to roll right onto the boat. It would be the last run until the wind subsided. We hustled, because there were whitecaps on the lagoon. A bit choppy!

Unless the dock is a fixed level dock, water level shouldn't be making any problems unless it's too shallow for the boats to get up to the dock and load, or so high the floating dock is under water. I've worked on boats, lived around boats all my life, as has my husband (who went to a maritime college and operated boats much like the ones used at WDW) and a floating dock will rise and fall with the water level, as will the boat. Are the docks fixed or floating? I've tried looking at them on Google Maps, but there aren't many photos. It's hard to tell by satellite image - you'd have to see if the posts are fixed or have big, padded rings around them attached to the dock. WL looks like it's a pair of floating docks?

Now, if they made the docks before ADA, and they haven't bothered to add a leveling ramp or adjust the float height of the docks, then that's another issue. Then they have to play the ballast game, which isn't really all that hard. If the captain is saying they can't load an ECV, then that captain is lazy, IMO.

There have been very rare situations in the past where the water levels at WL are too high or too low to get ECVs on the WL boats safely.
It is rare, but did happen to us when we have been at WL.
That information was added to the disABILITIES FAQs thread so people would be aware that if it happens, WDW has ways to deal with it and will provide alternate ways to get to the places the boats usually travel to.
The information was put there to prevent people from freaking out in the rare situation when it happens.

I’m closing this thread at this time because the question has been answered

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter