Current Youth Activities CM -- Ask me anything!

I'M BACK! (sort of.)

Life is going swimmingly on the Fantasy; the guests have been so wonderful lately and I am happy to say that our management has relaxed the expectations of our online freedom a bit (might have something to do with a recent outpouring of positive comment cards and higher scores! ;) ). We still can't access some things using the onboard wifi per se... but now there are ways around it without breaking any rules :).

I can't thank you all enough for really taking in the information and coming prepared! Educated guests = happier guests so far!

...and so far I've only been discovered by one guest in person. The other one sent a note hoping it was me! :rolleyes:

What is your favorite part about being a youth counselor?

What is your least favorite part?

My favorite part by far is how much interaction we get with the Disney characters in a setting that is just to play around or dance and just have fun. I can't think of any other job in the whole Disney company that gets to spend so much time without being a character attendant or directing lines or preparing autograph books. It's just us, the characters and the kids having fun! It's lovely! Also, being in YA (youth activities), our range of duties grants us access to so many backstage areas of the ship (kitchens, character zoo, tech booth, guest services or port adventure offices, fireworks duty) that most crew members will never see!

My least favorite part is the amount of housekeeping we have to do on a regular basis, especially trash duty. It is important to be positive and not expect a glamorous job when you're standing guarding the girl's restroom or front gates for several hours. This is when I feel my childcare qualifications not being put to best use! :confused3

Til next time everyone! :goodvibes

CMontheseas said:
I'M BACK! (sort of.)

Life is going swimmingly on the Fantasy; the guests have been so wonderful lately and I am happy to say that our management has relaxed the expectations of our online freedom a bit (might have something to do with a recent outpouring of positive comment cards and higher scores! ;) ). We still can't access some things using the onboard wifi per se... but now there are ways around it without breaking any rules :).

I can't thank you all enough for really taking in the information and coming prepared! Educated guests = happier guests so far!

...and so far I've only been discovered by one guest in person. The other one sent a note hoping it was me! :rolleyes:

My favorite part by far is how much interaction we get with the Disney characters in a setting that is just to play around or dance and just have fun. I can't think of any other job in the whole Disney company that gets to spend so much time without being a character attendant or directing lines or preparing autograph books. It's just us, the characters and the kids having fun! It's lovely! Also, being in YA (youth activities), our range of duties grants us access to so many backstage areas of the ship (kitchens, character zoo, tech booth, guest services or port adventure offices, fireworks duty) that most crew members will never see!

My least favorite part is the amount of housekeeping we have to do on a regular basis, especially trash duty. It is important to be positive and not expect a glamorous job when you're standing guarding the girl's restroom or front gates for several hours. This is when I feel my childcare qualifications not being put to best use! :confused3

Why are you hiding? I would love to find you and give you some treats when we cruise on Jan 11th.

CMontheseas said:
I'M BACK! (sort of.)

Why are you hiding? I would love to find you and give you some treats when we cruise on Jan 11th.

Sounds cool. What is your favorite activity to do with the kids?

I plan on taking a suitcase full of bags of candy to pass out on the magic next month. Can I drop off bags (maybe with a magazine wrapped around it) each find I drop off or pick up my kids from the club? Or should I just drop off a few pieces at a time?

I would love to figure out who you are and say thanks for doing 'this' in person, but I think I read somewhere that you were going to be assigned to Vibe or Edge for this contract, and my daughter is still going to be in Oceaneers.

I'm trying to figure out what the odds are that I'm going to get thrown in either the brig or a Mickey shaped straightjacket if I poke my head into Edge or Vibe and start yelling "FRIENDSHIP ROCKS" if my kid isn't actually in the room..........

Maddysdaddy said:
I would love to figure out who you are and say thanks for doing 'this' in person, but I think I read somewhere that you were going to be assigned to Vibe or Edge for this contract, and my daughter is still going to be in Oceaneers.

I'm trying to figure out what the odds are that I'm going to get thrown in either the brig or a Mickey shaped straightjacket if I poke my head into Edge or Vibe and start yelling "FRIENDSHIP ROCKS" if my kid isn't actually in the room..........

Haha, love it!

Sounds cool. What is your favorite activity to do with the kids?

Good question! The most enjoyable thing to do with the kids by far is either:
-Just Dance (every CM's favorite video game. The kids get so into it!)
-Talent show! Especially RANDOM talent show. It's when the kids sporadically gather and one of us starts up a quick talent show for patches or whatnot. In the absence of their grownups, these kids will belt out the national anthem and breakdance and do impressions. If you are lucky enough to drop by and sneak a peek while this is happening, it's very worth it!!

Also I'm not hiding per se, :rolleyes: but a large number of CMs and supervisors quietly on disboards privately messaged me early on to never reveal my identity online. The policy's a bit stricter in the parks on land than we are at sea, but it doesn't hurt to be careful! :)

Hi CMontheseas,

It is great that you're taking the time to share your knowledge with us - thank you very much!

In light of 18 year olds being turned away from Vibe, I'm in a little bit of a pickle and would love some suggestions. I REALLY appreciate learning about this before our trip so we can plan some alternate activities.

My daughter is 14 and her best friend is 18. They're both pretty young at heart and actually think they'd enjoy Oceaneer's Lab best - haha! Since the 18 year old can't do Vibe and the 14 year old can't do the 18-21 year old activities, do you have suggestions for other safe, kid-friendly things they could do together? For example, could they both go to the Chill Spa, even though one is 18?

Thanks again. I'm so grateful to know about this rule in advance of our trip. The girls were really looking forward to Vibe, but I know we can still make the trip magical...I just need a new plan! :thumbsup2

June

Thanks for all your posts! I loved reading them from start till our Dec 7th Wonder sailing. Before going I burned a half dozen CD's of the top 12 Billboard Songs, top 12 Country music songs (Which I was unsure it it would be as popular but one CM lit up so much that it made all the prep work worthwhile) and 20 acoustic and cover songs. Sometimes it was accepted with great confusion and a furrowed eyebrow but the few that were received with excitement made my week! There was lots of "You don't know how much Hannah Montana we have to listen too!" which never failed to make me laugh. We also passed along a few bags of candy but never managed to slip a stack of mickey bars in the mix.
Along with all your great advice and help I want to thank you for giving me the heads up on ways to say thank you! My 5 and 2 year old daughters vacation was MADE by the Club, Lab and Nursery staff.

I get every magazine under the sun. I will be bringing all of the ones I am finished reading. I usually just flip through them and am done. I get Cosmo, Us Weekly, Maxim, Style, just to name a few. I will be on the March 10 Magic sailing. This helps to know what is appreciated. :)
I will try to get some Mickey bars for you all too :)

My 12 year old is asking specific questions. Like what is Wipeout Challenge and things like that he sees on the Navigator. So, I will try and ask what he wants to know here plus other questions.

1) 12 Year Old boy. Social. Loves to play sports or compete at about anything. Likes video games. Specifically, what things does he need to look out for the happen in Club Edge?
2) 9 Yr Old Boy. Less Social but a trip. Likes sports and the same but not as intense. Loves art. Same Question, except for his Clubs.
3) Will the staff in the clubs give an overview of what's going to happen that day? Navigators look great, but for those of us who have NEVER cruised, we need some explaining on what a ton of the stuff is.

Thanks

What is best way to "deliver" the magazines? Just take to Oceaneer's Club when picking up or dropping off and hand to CM, saying "thought you might enjoy this..." ?????

Is it a good idea to leave magazines in your stateroom with a note to room steward saying "enjoy the reading"....????

Or do something else???

Thanks.

My 12 year old is asking specific questions. Like what is Wipeout Challenge and things like that he sees on the Navigator. So, I will try and ask what he wants to know here plus other questions.

1) 12 Year Old boy. Social. Loves to play sports or compete at about anything. Likes video games. Specifically, what things does he need to look out for the happen in Club Edge?
2) 9 Yr Old Boy. Less Social but a trip. Likes sports and the same but not as intense. Loves art. Same Question, except for his Clubs.
3) Will the staff in the clubs give an overview of what's going to happen that day? Navigators look great, but for those of us who have NEVER cruised, we need some explaining on what a ton of the stuff is.

Thanks

Hi!

So for your 12-year old, the vast majority of our Edge programming is competitive in nature - the more intense ones tend to be Dodgeball, Brains vs Brawns, and our ship wide video scavenger hunt. As far as video games, in Edge the kids are intense about Mario Kart and things like Playstation All-stars and Super Smash Bros.

For your 9 year old, we play Gaga Ball and have a lot of video gaming. Not too much on the sporty side in the Club/Lab spaces really (not as safe to do it in the space with the kids running around).

Now technically we don't make any formal announcements about what each activity of the day is going to be apart from the Personal Navigator (and depending on how busy the front desks are, we might not be able to give you a full description if you wait in line to ask!). Instead, best tip is to call to speak to a Youth Activities manager who are obliged to describe the day's programming to you (and will know what will be scheduled for the following days sooner than the Counselors!) :teacher:

What is best way to "deliver" the magazines? Just take to Oceaneer's Club when picking up or dropping off and hand to CM, saying "thought you might enjoy this..." ?????

Is it a good idea to leave magazines in your stateroom with a note to room steward saying "enjoy the reading"....????

Or do something else???

Thanks.

The absolute best thing you can do if you'd like to deliver anything to our team is bundle it together with an attached note! Nothing too long if you don't want to, (but the detailed ones get put up on our wall for all to see!) Even something like:

"This is a package of things for the Counselors to enjoy, to remind them of home and , life on land. Thanks for all your hard work, love The Miller Family, Annie (8), Carson (4)."

This makes us know it's something we're readily allowed to accept! Once a guest came by and dropped off a bunch of goodies at our doors with no note and the managers got upset with the Counselors about bringing personal items into the space :(. We reasoned it was likely from a guest, but without a note the managers wouldn't let us have it and tossed it out! :furious:

Not too sure about how Housekeeping management deal with it thouh, but the note in your room is a good idea for your stateroom host/ess!
:( So some counselors might be wary about accepting things without a note in case a very rule-heavy manager was present!

1) what ship are you on?
2) my baby girl princess is 5, is there a BBB or something similar for her to get her "princess" on
3) whats the best karaoke song do u have so a dad can completely embarrass his kids
4) Nassau, any local lunch spots you guys like

1) what ship are you on?
2) my baby girl princess is 5, is there a BBB or something similar for her to get her "princess" on
3) whats the best karaoke song do u have so a dad can completely embarrass his kids
4) Nassau, any local lunch spots you guys like

I'm on the Fantasy, which does have a fabulous Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique on board! Yay!

The most embarassing song for Dads has got to be Baby by Justin Bieber or Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen. One Dad did What Does The Fox Say acapella and his Edge daughter was so mortified!

As for Nassau....sad to say we flock to McDonald's to use free wifi and have some regular food! There is a Chinese restaurant nearby that the entertainment department goes to... Dragon something? Wish I could help more there, haven't been to Nassau in a while!

I just read no BBB on Dream, which is what we will be on. Thanks for the responses, I will most likely have more questions. I can check in online and look at more activities Christmas Eve.

Justin Bieber - Baby...WINNER!!

We got off the Fantasy last Saturday...12/14. I hope I saw you in the clubs :confused3
Our kids weren't in the clubs a ton, but about an hour or so a night...I did however bring a rather large bag of candy for the Counselors that had to be swept away to Management to approve. I do hope you all got to have it :thumbsup2
Disney is a great line, and I thank you all for being so great with the kiddos! :worship:

---Let me share a story I won't forget:

A 9 year old boy was checked into the Oceaneer Lab at 7:30 am (we opened early in this particular Port), with his parents explaining they did not know when they would be returning. They apparently didn't tell their son when they would be coming back either, and he was not given self-check privileges to leave.

At lunchtime, all of the children were seated to eat except for the Self-Checks who left to get their own food at the Buffet or up on deck. The boy was a little upset that he couldn't leave, but didn't feel like eating and indicated he would wait for his parents.

An hour or so after lunch, he comes up to the counselors at desk to call his parents. They call and discover they aren't available nor back on board yet. He persistently returns every few minutes until the Counselors realise it's because he's had diarrhea (which is taken very seriously on board.)

He is taken to the restroom to clean up, but unfortunately due to his age, the Counselors weren't able to provide him a change of clothing. (The department has 'potty accident' clothing - but for toddlers!) In this case, the counselors had to keep him isolated in the restroom until his grownups came to ensure he didn't soil any other parts of the space. Calls and messages are continued to be made and Counselors are trying to reach anyone travelling with the family.

The stress of the situation caused him to vomit just at the entrance to the restroom, which then had to be quarantined and isolated due to risk of AGE( Acute Gastroenteritis), and of course by this point he was extremely upset and crying at the situation and locked himself in a stall.

Luckily, older adults who were travelling with the boy's parents were on board but could not reach them and were, unfortunately not authorized adults and could not pick him up - but they said they knew of a few places his parents had planned on visiting. Because the shops were closed on board in Port, they could not buy him new clothing.

It took management physically getting off the ship and searching for the parents before they finally came to pick up their son and help change him into clothing and feed him, to the relief of the Counselors. I think the worst part was hearing his mother yelling at the poor boy about it all. Like really tearing into him for ruining her beach day :sad2:

I know this is from a page early on....I'm still making my way through the thread....but this made me cry :sad: I am a school teacher and I just don't get how people can treat kids like that. Disgraceful :sad2:

Thanks for all your replies and tips CMontheseas :-) I look forward to bringing some goodies aboard for all the CM's!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter