Currently At Aulani...Random Thoughts!

Ok, one last update!

1. After dinner we were just walking around the expansive pool area, and noticed some guy in Hawaiian type clothing talking about something over a small PA system to a bunch of guests across the pool in lounge chairs. Of course this warranted further investigation. Turns out he was this “storyteller” we’ve heard about, telling a Hawaiian story of myth and romance! You see, there was once a princess who fell in love with a lowly fisherman, but their love was alas forbidden, but the gods took pity on them and turned them into two different kinds of flowers. His type of flower grows by the sea, while hers grows up in the hills where the palace was, and if you’re ever in the mountains you’re supposed to bring one of her flowers down to the shore, and reunite the lovers!

Ok, the story is certainly better than my brief description, and it was totally fun hearing it told. A little taste of Hawaiian culture and magic in a beautiful outdoor space that at night feels almost enchanted. Give it a try when you’re here. It’s a unique experience.

2. Watched the sunset earlier in the gigantic two level jacuzzi facing the water. Another must do!

3. Great musicians tonight playing outside on the Olelo Room patio. We left our screen door open so we could hear them in our room on the 10th floor.

Not looking forward to checking out tomorrow. But these nine days have been a wonderful experience we won’t ever forget!
Man I miss that hot tub - we did that numerous nights as well!

I thought it would be fun to dive down to the viewing windows and surprise my kids. My 2yo son is OBSESSED with marine life. He's speech delayed and one of the few words he can say is "fish". I thought it would be fun to show him a mommy fish lol! Thanks for the info, though!
You can definitely snorkel up to the viewing windows! My son did this our first visit, and I took a pic of him through the window!

Oh! My wife Just reminded me about another practical piece of advice.

We rented a car for the length of stay, but only wound up using it for about three days. I don’t think car rentals are available right now at the hotel, but when things are back to normal, we’ll just rent one for the day, and repeat when we want.
A couple caveats to consider with daily car rentals. As PP mentioned, they have limited availability at the on-site Alamo so its best to reserve in advance to ensure you can get one. They do run out. Also, sometimes weekly car rental rates, or even airport rates, can be cheaper or at least a decent price. Having the car the whole time gives you flexibility, especially if you're staying on points and there is no parking fee. If you need to switch your resort day and touring day because of weather or whatever else, you have that option with your own car. We ended up using the car on resort day for a malasada run, and I've seen others use it for off-site meals at night. Ko Olina is a dead zone in the evenings, so I can imagine lots of people like to go into Kapolei for dinner. Lastly, you'll need airport transportation to and from the resort anyhow, so it makes sense to do airport pick up and drop off with the rental car. Otherwise, you'll have to factor in the cost of transportation for this which diminishes the savings by doing daily rentals. There's also a fee for pick up/drop off in separate locations.

FWIW, for anyone who is interested in daily rentals, there's also an Enterprise at the Marriott next door.

A couple caveats to consider with daily car rentals. As PP mentioned, they have limited availability at the on-site Alamo so its best to reserve in advance to ensure you can get one. They do run out. Also, sometimes weekly car rental rates, or even airport rates, can be cheaper or at least a decent price. Having the car the whole time gives you flexibility, especially if you're staying on points and there is no parking fee. If you need to switch your resort day and touring day because of weather or whatever else, you have that option with your own car. We ended up using the car on resort day for a malasada run, and I've seen others use it for off-site meals at night. Ko Olina is a dead zone in the evenings, so I can imagine lots of people like to go into Kapolei for dinner. Lastly, you'll need airport transportation to and from the resort anyhow, so it makes sense to do airport pick up and drop off with the rental car. Otherwise, you'll have to factor in the cost of transportation for this which diminishes the savings by doing daily rentals. There's also a fee for pick up/drop off in separate locations.

FWIW, for anyone who is interested in daily rentals, there's also an Enterprise at the Marriott next door.
Is the resort no longer providing airport transportation?

Good points. My issue is that the original price for our subcompact was around $600, but I always add insurance when I pick up the car for peace of mind, for potential damage to both the rental and the other party’s car, which this time ballooned the price to over $1200 for nine days! I didn’t initially shop around, but if this is the going rate it’s just not worth it. We used Avis at the airport. That said, it would certainly be nice to have the freedom and flexibility to have the rental for the duration. Any recommendations from your experience finding better deals?

Good points. My issue is that the original price for our subcompact was around $600, but I always add insurance when I pick up the car for peace of mind, for potential damage to both the rental and the other party’s car, which this time ballooned the price to over $1200 for nine days! I didn’t initially shop around, but if this is the going rate it’s just not worth it. We used Avis at the airport. That said, it would certainly be nice to have the freedom and flexibility to have the rental for the duration. Any recommendations from your experience finding better deals?
Holy cow! Ours was 260 through national from the airport for 7 days thanksgiving week - I can honestly say if we were going to pay that much I probably would have thought twice and probably passed!

Holy cow! Ours was 260 through national from the airport for 7 days thanksgiving week - I can honestly say if we were going to pay that much I probably would have thought twice and probably passed!
Obviously, I must do my homework before renting another car! Re your much more reasonable rate, did that include insurance? I’m trying to figure out if adding that to the contract was a mistake.

Obviously, I must do my homework before renting another car! Re your much more reasonable rate, did that include insurance? I’m trying to figure out if adding that to the contract was a mistake.
Check with your auto policy and/or credit card you use for rental (if you have); many will cover rental car insurance.

Is the resort no longer providing airport transportation?
They never did. There are for-cost private car companies you can hire that will shuttle you, and I think Aulani recommends some, but they are not operated by Aulani or included with your stay. There may have been a time a while ago when Aulani ran a promo that included airport transportation? I may be making that up entirely, but something about that seemed familiar to me. But regardless, both in "normal" times as well as current covid times, they do not offer or include airport transportation.

Wow! I can definitely see where that price would make you look to other options like daily rentals. We never add the insurance with a rental car as our own auto policy provides coverage for accidents in a rental. Definitely check your own policy for that next time - I'm not even sure what additional assurances the extra insurance would provide.

Its been a couple of years, but last time we rented a standard size car from Alamo at the HNL airport. We got a weekly rate and with tax, it was roughly $350 if memory serves. They were out of standard size cars when we picked it up, so they upgraded us to full size at no extra cost and were able to pick out a Camaro convertible!

I would check Costco car rental if you have a membership. We got an intermediate SUV for our 6 night stay for $350. It was $100 more for an economy car, I think it might be a Costco deal. Our normal insurance covers our rental so we usually opt out of it.

Wow! I’d think twice over that price, as well. As others have mentioned, if renting again, check your credit card and personal policy to see if insurance is covered. Too, in my experience (both direct and via Costco), you can reserve a car rental and then continue to cancel and rebook when you see better prices. This is without having to pay any type of deposit. I don’t stalk for better pricing, rather, I check occasionally. In March, our mid-size SUV rental was around $400 for 11 nights (without insurance). We were always Sam’s Club members but joined Costco entirely due to our trip to Hawaii (car rental and thinking we’d also pick up groceries/supplies at Costco on Oahu).

Too, in my experience (both direct and via Costco), you can reserve a car rental and then continue to cancel and rebook when you see better prices. This is without having to pay any type of deposit. I don’t stalk for better pricing, rather, I check occasionally.
After I posted the last message I went to check Costco again - not to stalk but because Alaska changed our departing flight and I wanted to make sure it didn't change the price. It was actually lower so I cancelled and rebooked. $302 for the week with an intermediate SUV. My sister swears by Costco and says she cancels and rebooks their cars all the time. Well, back when she traveled.

As others have already chimed in, we did not add insurance - it was actually our first time ever renting a car and I wavered back and forth on if I wanted to because I did want to spend a lot of time at the resort so how much would we use it? In the end I am very glad I did but again would not have paid over $500.

Oh! My wife Just reminded me about another practical piece of advice.

We rented a car for the length of stay, but only wound up using it for about three days. I don’t think car rentals are available right now at the hotel, but when things are back to normal, we’ll just rent one for the day, and repeat when we want.

I would also price it out in total. So take the cost of the rental car/parking and compare that to the cost of airport transfers, rental for the days you want a car, and higher cost of food while eating at the resort. We rent a car for our entire stay and will go out almost every day to go get dinner off site. It might sound cheaper to just rent for the days that you need it, but that's not always the case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter