Customer Service

tarheelalum

DIS Veteran
I've been going to Disneyland for a long time. Over the years I've had very few bad experiences there. In general I don't expect cast members to go out of their way for me. I'm not looking for pixe dust. Just don't waste my time or be a jerk and I'm happy. Most cast members are still fine and a few of them are exceptional. But on our current vacation we have seen or encountered multiple bad experiences with cast members. Probably as many bad ones as I've had in all the other years I've been going to Disneyland. Situations where cast members arguing out loud with each other about who is supposed to wait on you. Other cast members just standing around chatting and intentionally ignoring customers for minutes on end and one time where a cast member yelled and demeaned a guest.

So I'd like to ask all of you who have recently attended Disneyland, what was your experience like? Are we just unlucky on this trip or is bad service becoming more common at Disneyland?

I have heard about some bad experiences and no doubt they do happen, but I have never experienced a trip where I felt any CM treated me badly. I do see some CMs standing around chatting, but that's only when a ride is down and they need to explain that to a guest, which they do immediately. I've never really seen a cast member speaking badly to anyone. They're usually just quick and to the point. Again, that's not to say these bad experiences don't happen. I simply cannot recall a time where anything stands out. If you are that unhappy with the service, there are ways of expressing your discontent, just like every other company that provides services. Disney probably doesn't want or approve of unhappy customers, so you should feel free to let them know. How is the behavior going to change if it doesn't get addressed?

On our trip what I noticed the most was the lack of attention, to customers or their duties. What I saw on the rides, not so much at restaurants, was CM to CM conversations that were clearly not work related, but more goofing off or flirting.

I think bad service is becoming more common at Disneyland.
I will say its becoming more common across the United States.

Situations where cast members arguing out loud with each other about who is supposed to wait on you...

Are we just unlucky on this trip or is bad service becoming more common at Disneyland?

They're arguing because nobody wants to wait on you? I'm not sure unlucky and bad service is common are the only plausible explanations here.

On our trip what I noticed the most was the lack of attention, to customers or their duties. What I saw on the rides, not so much at restaurants, was CM to CM conversations that were clearly not work related, but more goofing off or flirting.

I will say its becoming more common across the United States.

I would say yes in some cases but then any time I go to Chic Fil A or Inn and Out, I get fantastic service on a consistent basis.

I've had CM's ignore me or not being particularly helpful within the park. I've had phenomenal service for table service and other places within the resort though, so I don't mind much. Pixie dust has always been something I've heard about but never experienced, but then, I don't go looking for it either (but always a little sad that it's never really happened for me).

I just went this past weekend and I had bad service at multiple locations spread throughout three different days. It seems like quality has dived sharply:

1. I had an employee ask for a receipt after just ordering a corn dog while not asking anyone else in front of me in line for it. Singling me out in the process for some random reason. (Same employee took the order and provided the corn dog.)

2. I had an employee giving me compliments on my Star Wars t-shirt, but then delving into an inappropriate conversation about the Last Jedi, Kathleen Kennedy, and other gripes he has about current Star Wars and where Disney is taking it.

3. Tried to exhange a pin I bought with a defect. Was initially told no, then a different employee approached and exchanged it without hassle. Second employee then gave first employee a look for being so unhelpful.

4. Had cleaning staff make snide comments after we didn't let him take our 1/3 full pizza away from the table to clean.

5. Had an employee and manager deny an even exchange on damaged jewelry. Was told it was past the 30 day period so they could not help (I left understanding of this policy and I was planning to call the merchandise line after). But, as I was leaving the first employee mentioned that she always denies purse returns/exchanges because she doesn't believe in returns. This shocked me because it was unrelated to my inquiry and totally out of hand to mention this to a customer.

Why do people get so upset when CMs are chatting about "non work" stuff? Flirting? God forbid! Come on, seriously? Have you never worked a customer facing job? I worked for several years at a retail store as a customer associate and later, assistant manager. We had a great crew and we talked about non work stuff all the time. Our store was always busy, with a line, and it wasn't a big deal to be chatty with each other when you were not actively assisting a customer. I met my husband of 19 years (today) at this job 22 years ago. If we hadn't flirted at work, we wouldn't be here right now, happily ever after...don't get in the way of true love! ;)

These are primarily young adults trying to have some fun at work during an 8 hour shift. What is the harm? Just because you see CMs standing around, that does not mean they are in a position to help you right at that moment.

I go to Disneyland every week. I am trying to hit 500 lifetime visits before the end of the year. I can count on 1 hand the number of truly bad Customer service experiences I've had at the park, and only one didn't involve a restaurant.

Last edited:
Why do people get so upset when CMs are chatting about "non work" stuff? Flirting? God forbid! Come on, seriously? Have you never worked a customer facing job? I worked for several years at a retail store as a customer associate and later, assistant manager. We had a great crew and we talked about non work stuff all the time. Our store was always busy, with a line, and it wasn't a big deal to be chatty with each other when you were not actively assisting a customer.

I try to be empathetic as possible, because I know that sometimes there are just off days. With that being said, I definitely don't mind if they are doing "non-work" things, but as a person who does Customer Service (as part of the job, but not my primary function), if a customer asks, is lost, or needs help, you've got to be able to put that aside to help.

I try to be empathetic as possible, because I know that sometimes there are just off days. With that being said, I definitely don't mind if they are doing "non-work" things, but as a person who does Customer Service (as part of the job, but not my primary function), if a customer asks, is lost, or needs help, you've got to be able to put that aside to help.

I totally agree. I just see this complaint a LOT here on the boards. That someone sees cast members having a chat about "non work related things" and they get all huffy about it, as though cast members should only open their mouths to deliver magical Disney scripts.

If CMs are "chatting and intentionally ignoring customers for minutes on end," walk up and say "excuse me, I need some help." Maybe the CMs didn't see you. Maybe you didn't look like you were ready. Maybe there were a million other reasons why the CMs did not stop their conversation and immediately snap to attention to serve you. Speak up if you need assistance. I seriously doubt you will be met with "can't you see we are talking over here?"

I guess I'm lucky. I've been fortunate to go several times this year thanks to an AP that I likely won't be willing to splurge on again, and I have not seen this terrible behavior other people pick up on so readily. I was at the park every day from 9/28-10/6. Only once did I have lackluster service from a server at the Lamplight Lounge. Even so, we got our food promptly and were helped by at least 2 other servers who were clearly trying to be helpful. I simply had no idea where my original, low-energy server disappeared to between taking our order and dropping off our check.

On our first night, the mobile order girl at the Paradise Garden Grill was clearly having a challenging night, but even so, she gave me a free dessert due to an inordinately long wait for our food with no notice that it was even ready to begin with. So even though it was annoying, I am easily bought off by free sweets, so I walked away satisfied. I did my best to convey how much I appreciated her effort.

DL has always been very good to us. When my hard-to-please husband is impressed, it's with good reason. I'm not too sure if I'll get that AP again (this year has been expensive!), or when I'll be able to get to DL again, but I will do so happily.

If CMs are "chatting and intentionally ignoring customers for minutes on end," walk up and say "excuse me, I need some help." Maybe the CMs didn't see you. Maybe you didn't look like you were ready. Maybe there were a million other reasons why the CMs did not stop their conversation and immediately snap to attention to serve you. Speak up if you need assistance. I seriously doubt you will be met with "can't you see we are talking over here?"
I got that a lot in retail. I was constantly on guard, but customers would like...hover around in the general area and sort of look my way, like they wanted to ask a question, but not really. It's hard to read body language sometimes, so you don't want to just walk up to everyone you see who looks like they might need help. Whenever a customer came up to me and I was chatting with my co-worker, I would immediately drop the conversation and turn my attention to them. I know this doesn't happen everywhere and there are employees legitimately ignoring customers, but sometimes people aren't as obvious as they think they're trying to make themselves look when they need help. In this instance at Disneyland, if you're walking up to a CM and they are chatting with co-workers, you ask for help and you either get the stink eye or they straight up ignore you after you've made it clear you're looking for help, then there's a problem.

Bottom line is, we're all human, we all have thoughts and emotions. Maybe someone was dealing with a death in the family, maybe a bad break up. Maybe it's abuse. Maybe it's failing school. Maybe they're struggling with mental health issues. Maybe it's the fact that they deal with thousands of incredibly rude guests who treat them like dirt because they're in a customer service position day in and day out, which erodes away at your spirit (I know, I work customer service). Either way, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and brush things off. I pick my battles because I know what's worth it for me to care much about and what's not. Everyone is different, though.

If you're getting bad customer service, then do something about it. Request to speak to a manager. Go to city hall. Email guest relations. Let these people know how your experience went. The manager isn't going to know unless they hear about it. And in that case, the manager can't do anything about it if people just grumble and go on their way. Likewise, let them know how good a job they're doing, too! If you had an awesome experience, or something you saw that didn't personally happen to you, please take the time to email names and areas. Many people are super quick to raise their voice and complain, but it's few and far between to get compliments. In fact, I don't remember the last time I was complimented for anything at work. 99.9% of the time all I hear are complaints. However, when we do hear that someone noticed we were doing a good job, I cannot explain how good this makes me and my co-workers feel. It drives us the rest of the day, the rest of the week sometimes even and all just from a seemingly small compliment.

Unless we want Disney to replace its workers with automated machinery, which will be extremely cut at dry with less leeway for making magical moments, maybe it'd be better to put things into perspective.

Last edited:
I got that a lot in retail. I was constantly on guard, but customers would like...hover around in the general area and sort of look my way, like they wanted to ask a question, but not really. It's hard to read body language sometimes, so you don't want to just walk up to everyone you see who looks like they might need help. Whenever a customer came up to me and I was chatting with my co-worker, I would immediately drop the conversation and turn my attention to them. I know this doesn't happen everywhere and there are employees legitimately ignoring customers, but sometimes people aren't as obvious as they think they're trying to make themselves look when they need help. In this instance at Disneyland, if you're walking up to a CM and they are chatting with co-workers, you ask for help and you either get the stink eye or they straight up ignore you after you've made it clear you're looking for help, then there's a problem.

Bottom line is, we're all human, we all have thoughts and emotions. Maybe someone was dealing with a death in the family, maybe a bad break up. Maybe it's abuse. Maybe it's failing school. Maybe they're struggling with mental health issues. Maybe it's the fact that they deal with thousands of incredibly rude guests who treat them like dirt because they're in a customer service position day in and day out, which erodes away at your spirit (I know, I work customer service). Either way, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and brush things off. I pick my battles because I know what's worth it for me to care much about and what's not. Everyone is different, though.

If you're getting bad customer service, then do something about it. Request to speak to a manager. Go to city hall. Email guest relations. Let these people know how your experience went. The manager isn't going to know unless they hear about it. And in that case, the manager can't do anything about it if people just grumble and go on their way. Likewise, let them know how good a job they're doing, too! If you had an awesome experience, or something you saw that didn't personally happen to you, please take the time to email names and areas. Many people are super quick to raise their voice and complain, but it's few and far between to get compliments. In fact, I don't remember the last time I was complimented for anything at work. 99.9% of the time all I hear are complaints. However, when we do hear that someone noticed we were doing a good job, I cannot explain how good this makes me and my co-workers feel. It drives us the rest of the day, the rest of the week sometimes even and all just from a seemingly small compliment.

Unless we want Disney to replace its workers with automated machinery, which will be extremely cut at dry with less leeway for making magical moments, maybe it'd be better to put things into perspective.
I agree with this and also ask what we as guests are bringing to the equation. I try to remember that even when there is a valid problem going on (and I have to ask myself if there is a truly valid problem or not), to keep a positive attitude when dealing with the CMs. My anger, impatience, frustration, irritation, etc. are not helpful and may well shut down any communication instead of encouraging it. CMs tell me that they can see who's giving off a negative vibe, and I don't want to be "that" guest. So if I can be proactive to prevent a problem from occurring in the first place, fine. If an issue occurs, then I'll do my part to help CMs find a solution. And, last resort, I'll ask for more help if that's what it takes. But complaining alone just feeds the negativity and doesn't solve any problems.

I met my husband of 19 years (today) at this job 22 years ago. If we hadn't flirted at work, we wouldn't be here right now, happily ever after...don't get in the way of true love! ;)
Happy Anniversary! I met DH when we both worked at WDW - he was a chef, I was a seating hostess.

If you think there is goofing off/flirting in the retail locations and rides do not look closely at the restaurants! They are like a house party most of the time.

It may just be me (and I hope most of the time I'm not being rude), but I've never hesitated approaching multiple CMs who are chatting with each other if I have a question or need something. Most of the time, they really seem to welcome the interruption, and are incredibly eager and helpful. I usually end up having great conversations with the group.

I think most CMs are just chatting to pass the time, and I imagine it can be dizzying seeing hundreds of different faces an hour. I truly think that if I ever waited for them to notice me, I might be waiting for awhile, just because they can't necessarily catch the eye of every guest in the area. I've seen them acting playful or talking in low voices which may be interpreted as gossiping, but I think it's good that they're having fun at work, because a serious CM would really kill the fun vibe that is Disneyland.

I think I've only ever had one truly negative interaction with a CM and it was past midnight, so after a long day, I definitely gave her a pass.

I think if you approach CMs in a positive way, even if you have a problem or complaint, they really are happy to help. You will have a few that may not be overly helpful, but that's life and nobody is perfect.

... I met my husband of 19 years (today) at this job 22 years ago. If we hadn't flirted at work, we wouldn't be here right now, happily ever after...don't get in the way of true love! ;) ...
Happy (belated) Anniversary! I hope you managed to find a fun way to celebrate, even with your husband away. :)

I've seen in phases as if they just hired a bunch of new people and they haven't been trained enough. Disney does fire people often. So, I kind of chalk it up to they just hired a bunch of people and haven't weeded out the bad ones, yet. I have noticed that when we do run across unhelpful CMs, we usually have several like that on that visit. We can go months without running into anything like that and then a day with like 3... So, that's why I my guess is they just hired newbies and they haven't figured out which ones are keepers yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter