• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Customs Restrictions on New Items

Meemoo

DIS Veteran
Hi there,

Does anyone know what the restrictions are on bringing back lots of new items from the USA before having to pay tax? We are planning to really stock up on sneakers for the whole family and was wondering would we have trouble bringing half a suitcase full back?

I am sure you won't have a problem. On our last trip we had to buy 2 large and 1 small extra suitcases to bring back all the new clothing and shoes DW bought.

I'm sure (but stand to be corrected on this) it is a $900 limit. When on computer next I will get the link.

We have always bought back HEAPS of shopping. We always come back with a few extra suitcases.

Last time we bought back about 10-12 pairs of sneakers. Just mix them up through your luggage a bit to make sure.

We have never been questioned or checked.

Each adult can bring back A$900 worth of general items and each child $450 but I don't think clothes are included in general items, though leather and sporting goods are.

My kids are on the last of their sneakers from the US not looking forward to the price I will need to pay here for them :(

Enjoy your holiday

And the $900 / $450 can be pooled together - so 2A/2C can have a total of $2700 of stuff.

I'm pretty sure too clothing is exempt from duty for personal use, might need to check on that.

Thanks, sounds like I don't have anything to worry about then :) I knew you guys would know :rotfl: I'm a little concerned that the most of my spending money will be gone before I even get there - online shopping = dangerous!!!

Clothing is exempt so you should be fine. I have brought bag one bag full of about 8 pairs of sneakers between 2 adults and not a blink of an eye.

My last trip 2 years ago, I brought 9 pairs of runners back - customers didn't care less, they were more concerned about some rice I declared.

Clothing is exempt so no worries there, no need to try and hide or mix up the sneakers, although i think that is a very cute idea. the only time clothing becomes an issue when you people are buying to sell here, and its not that hard to work out when that is the case. usually that is the case with travellers out of asia picking up bargains to offload in the markets or stores here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter