• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cutting Elephant tusks at AK

maccagerl

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know why they cut off the elephant’s tusks in Animal Kingdom? I googled but couldn’t find it anywhere .

A lot of zoo environments remove tusks from males and “tushes” (smaller tusks) from females to prevent injuries. It’s expensive to do since the elephant has to be anesthetized since the tusk is like a tooth and has a nerve. For those that are interested: There is some chatter on many elephant conservation websites that elephants are evolving to lose their tusks from all the poaching.

A lot of zoo environments remove tusks from males and “tushes” (smaller tusks) from females to prevent injuries. It’s expensive to do since the elephant has to be anesthetized since the tusk is like a tooth and has a nerve. For those that are interested: There is some chatter on many elephant conservation websites that elephants are evolving to lose their tusks from all the poaching.

Yes! I came across a few articles about that!! Very interesting!

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...watch-news-tuskless-elephants-behavior-change

Yes! I came across a few articles about that!! Very interesting!

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...watch-news-tuskless-elephants-behavior-change

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter