D23 2022 News & Rumours

Gusey

DIS Veteran
I thought I'd be good to start a list of things we are expecting to hear announced at the Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products at D23 on September 11th at10:30AM PST. Some of this is educational guesses about currently announced projects, and rumours will be specified šŸ˜€ Let me know if I've missed anything and what you are hoping for and what you are expecting šŸ˜€

Update: Things confirmed will be in GREEN. Things unconfirmed will be in RED. Things that were half confirmed will be in ORANGE

Walt Disney World:
  • Opening Time Frame for Tron at Magic Kingdom? - Opening Spring 2023
  • Update on Tiana's Bayou Adventure (The Princess and the Frog retheme of Splash Mountain)?
  • Update on Epcot spine (Journey of Water: Inspired by Moana, Dreamer's Point, Communicore Hall/Festival Center)? - Opening Late 2023
  • Happily Ever After Returning in 2023
  • New Fireworks at Epcot in 2023
  • Figment Meet & Greet in 2023
  • Hatbox Ghost added to Haunted Mansion in 2023
  • Something to replace Primeval Whirl?? - They have started very early brainstorming on replacing Dinoland
  • Update on PLAY! Pavilion?
  • Update on Fantasmic's return?
  • Update on Wondrous China?
  • Something to replace Little Mermaid at Hollywood Studios??
Disneyland:
  • Update on Toontown overhaul's current progress, potential opening time frame beyond what we know so far of 2023? - New concept art
  • Update on Tiana's Bayou Adventure (The Princess and the Frog retheme of Splash Mountain)?
  • Announcement of 3rd Avengers Campus attraction based in the Multiverse
  • San Fransokyo replacing Pacific Wharf
  • Hulk, Mano & Grogu meet & greet coming in 2022
  • Downtown Disney construction update? - Confirmation of Porto's Bakery coming & concept art of Din Tai Fung
  • Pixar Place Hotel update including new name & concept art
  • Tarzan's Treehouse retheme update? We have zero information about what's happening?
  • Rumoured announcement of "New Tomorrowland" Overhaul
    • Potential announcement of the return of the PeopleMover??
    • Scott Trowbridge teases working on Tomorrowland
Disney Cruise & International Parks:
  • With the Disney Wish setting sail July 14, 2022, expect an announcement about the other two ships still planned? - Announcement of the 6th Ship - Disney Treasure
  • Update on Lighthouse Point? - opening in 2024
  • Update on Arendelle coming to Disneyland Paris?
  • Rumoured announcement of a Tangled Round Ride at Walt Disney Studios Park - Confirmed alongside an English gardens area
  • Update on Frozenland coming to Hong Kong Disneyland? - opening second half of 2023
  • Update on Fantasy Port coming to Tokyo DisneySea? No opening time frame yet other than 2023
  • Update on Zootopialand coming to Shanghai Disney? No opening time frame yet
  • Potentially the third land coming to Walt Disney Studios at DLP now Galaxy's Edge is cancelled

Last edited:

I am not expected much at all. I personally think projects are going to start to slow down with the current economic state. Once that improves projects will come back.

I am not expected much at all. I personally think projects are going to start to slow down with the current economic state. Once that improves projects will come back.

Which is of course the exact opposite of what they should do. They should invest more during the downturn so it will be ready when it ends and may even help spur things along.

Which is of course the exact opposite of what they should do. They should invest more during the downturn so it will be ready when it ends and may even help spur things along.

Well thatā€™s not what they did during the last oneā€¦so I donā€™t have much hope.

Theyā€™ll be single handedly handing over their lead to universal if they donā€™t announce anything since we havenā€™t gotten a new ride announcement since 2019 for Disney world with the marry poppins ride which has already been cancelledā€¦ so we definitely definitely definitely should expect something. Epcots overhaul got cut way short and the park needs one or two good refurbs for some rides (spaceship earth, figment, Nemo and the land need it the most but the two former need it the most). I say that they scrap whatever spinner plans they had for marry poppins and make an original ride WITH animatronics but donā€™t make it a slow moving boat ride or use the same ride system as any of the dark rides in the park since the parks getting over saturated with rides like that.

Animal kingdom is in desperate need for a new ride since the park only has 8 now (and thatā€™s being generous counting the wildlife train) while Hollywood studios has 9 including an insane amount of shows, epcot has 11 and magic kingdom is gonna have 24. I think the most logical option would be to rebrand all of dinoland into a broader South America land since dinosaurs were heavily found in the continent so they could keep the boneyard and dinosaur and maybe restaurantarous (which Iā€™m sure theyā€™d want to retheme to an IP) and scrap all of dinorama (or whatā€™s left of it) and start new. They can reskin triceratops spin to some other IP but theyā€™re probably better off just scrapping it and putting in a more unique flat ride. They could put in an UP and encanto rides (even though encanto really has nothing to do with animals). Or if they wanted to retheme the land to North America since it fits the Dinosaur theme and could use Bambi which is long overdo for a ride.

I doubt weā€™ll get anything for Hollywood studios but for a rapid pace new attraction ideas a replacement for sticthes great escape, a lion king ride in AK Africa, an encanto ride in a possible new Colombia pavilion in Epcot of the Moana coaster rumored in MK in Adventureland.

As for California DVA desperately needs a new e ticket considering they havenā€™t gotten an entirely new from the ground up e ticket since 2012 wirh radiator springs, ten years ago. The avengers e ticket kind of has to happen for avengers campus to even seem semi complete. Obviously Hollywoodland has been on their mind for an overall and I think itā€™d be great if they actually made it a hollywoodland instead of the tacky backlot setting. Mary poppins would be a great fit for the area cause vintage Hollywood and old movies go pretty well together. They could put the Mary poppins ride in one of the empty sound stages or any of the empty spaces in the land. A re routed red car trolley tnat maybe goes through out the entire land by monsters inc would make a lot more sense than it passing by an intergalactic museum. They could literally put any IP they want in this land and just disguise it as a ā€œgoing into the moviesā€ type ride cause honestly is better than the disaster that is Hollywood land right now.

For Disneyland proper it doesnā€™t need anything else until DCA finally gets a proper new ride that isnā€™t spider man. But Iā€™ll predict the obligatory Tomorrowland refurb and fantasyland expansion ideas.

TLDR: Epcot overhaul, dinoland overhaul, DCA literally anything new and the rest probably nothing

How about the 100th anniversary of the company..? Are you expecting something "big" as a celebration?

So far it seems only the archives at Philly.. right?

Theyā€™ll be single handedly handing over their lead to universal if they donā€™t announce anything since we havenā€™t gotten a new ride announcement since 2019 for Disney world with the marry poppins ride which has already been cancelledā€¦ so we definitely definitely definitely should expect something. Epcots overhaul got cut way short and the park needs one or two good refurbs for some rides (spaceship earth, figment, Nemo and the land need it the most but the two former need it the most). I say that they scrap whatever spinner plans they had for marry poppins and make an original ride WITH animatronics but donā€™t make it a slow moving boat ride or use the same ride system as any of the dark rides in the park since the parks getting over saturated with rides like that.

Animal kingdom is in desperate need for a new ride since the park only has 8 now (and thatā€™s being generous counting the wildlife train) while Hollywood studios has 9 including an insane amount of shows, epcot has 11 and magic kingdom is gonna have 24. I think the most logical option would be to rebrand all of dinoland into a broader South America land since dinosaurs were heavily found in the continent so they could keep the boneyard and dinosaur and maybe restaurantarous (which Iā€™m sure theyā€™d want to retheme to an IP) and scrap all of dinorama (or whatā€™s left of it) and start new. They can reskin triceratops spin to some other IP but theyā€™re probably better off just scrapping it and putting in a more unique flat ride. They could put in an UP and encanto rides (even though encanto really has nothing to do with animals). Or if they wanted to retheme the land to North America since it fits the Dinosaur theme and could use Bambi which is long overdo for a ride.

I doubt weā€™ll get anything for Hollywood studios but for a rapid pace new attraction ideas a replacement for sticthes great escape, a lion king ride in AK Africa, an encanto ride in a possible new Colombia pavilion in Epcot of the Moana coaster rumored in MK in Adventureland.

As for California DVA desperately needs a new e ticket considering they havenā€™t gotten an entirely new from the ground up e ticket since 2012 wirh radiator springs, ten years ago. The avengers e ticket kind of has to happen for avengers campus to even seem semi complete. Obviously Hollywoodland has been on their mind for an overall and I think itā€™d be great if they actually made it a hollywoodland instead of the tacky backlot setting. Mary poppins would be a great fit for the area cause vintage Hollywood and old movies go pretty well together. They could put the Mary poppins ride in one of the empty sound stages or any of the empty spaces in the land. A re routed red car trolley tnat maybe goes through out the entire land by monsters inc would make a lot more sense than it passing by an intergalactic museum. They could literally put any IP they want in this land and just disguise it as a ā€œgoing into the moviesā€ type ride cause honestly is better than the disaster that is Hollywood land right now.

For Disneyland proper it doesnā€™t need anything else until DCA finally gets a proper new ride that isnā€™t spider man. But Iā€™ll predict the obligatory Tomorrowland refurb and fantasyland expansion ideas.

TLDR: Epcot overhaul, dinoland overhaul, DCA literally anything new and the rest probably nothing

Encanto had Antonio; his gift and room could be a nice tie in to animals.

You seem to not like Webslingers... but I'd say it's popularity firmly makes it an "E ticket". The monorail and submarines were 2/3 of the original Es.

I don't expect anything huge to be coming to domestic parks; I think we'll get updates about everything announced that hasn't taken firm hold yet, and lots of info about the international parks' projects and the ships. They had a huuuuge slate of announcements that didn't surface last time; they bit off more than they were able to chew, I think they will be more cautious now. Then you have all the uncertainty of the move to Florida for Imagineering to boot which probably causes more delays, and now its postponed as well. The Wish keeps having setbacks which doesn't really make sense; delaying it a month doesn't feel weird, it happens even in normal times, but rumors are it even failed the Coast Guard's certification test and some of the dining rooms were all but bare last week according to more rumors. This round should be catch up and make good or better on promises that are already out there.

Encanto had Antonio; his gift and room could be a nice tie in to animals.

You seem to not like Webslingers... but I'd say it's popularity firmly makes it an "E ticket". The monorail and submarines were 2/3 of the original Es.

I don't expect anything huge to be coming to domestic parks; I think we'll get updates about everything announced that hasn't taken firm hold yet, and lots of info about the international parks' projects and the ships. They had a huuuuge slate of announcements that didn't surface last time; they bit off more than they were able to chew, I think they will be more cautious now. Then you have all the uncertainty of the move to Florida for Imagineering to boot which probably causes more delays, and now its postponed as well. The Wish keeps having setbacks which doesn't really make sense; delaying it a month doesn't feel weird, it happens even in normal times, but rumors are it even failed the Coast Guard's certification test and some of the dining rooms were all but bare last week according to more rumors. This round should be catch up and make good or better on promises that are already out there.
I like webslingers a lot cause the ride stern is insanely cool but itā€™s not even close to an e ticket. The phrase e ticket isnā€™t used literally anymore like it was before it just means to represent a very high budget experience thatā€™s supposed to be the highlight in any given land. So even though Navi river journey and millennium falcon are cool rides that cost a lot to make, it doesnā€™t mean theyā€™re e tickets.

I definitely wouldnā€™t say last d23 had a ā€œhuge skate of announcementsā€ wirh just the marry poppins ride and festival center being announced but ya it is ironic/depressing that the only two projects that got announced got cancelled (well marry poppins is on hold but still)

I definitely wouldnā€™t say last d23 had a ā€œhuge skate of announcementsā€ wirh just the marry poppins ride and festival center being announced but ya it is ironic/depressing that the only two projects that got announced got cancelled (well marry poppins is on hold but still)
I dont think we will see any work done on MP until most of the other construction at Epcot is done.... Guardians.... Moana... Dreamers Point etc. If they started tearing up World Showcase (isn't it going into the England area?) in addition to all the other stuff going on, then it would be too much. This way they will shift the construction to world showcase once all the other stuff is open.

This kind of gets lost, but the theme of AK is conservation - not just something that has animals, they're there to remind us how much mankind has affected their habitats. It's why some people feel strongly against a Zootopia expansion since it's a story of mankind told through animal stand ins. (I liked the movie, so no hate for it here)

That being said I don't know what would fit into that Dinoland pad, an original idea roller coaster seems to make the most logic but original just doesn't happen anymore.

My guess for WDW is the announcement for a Marvel Campus. I still think it makes sense to revamp AK's Dinoland. Theme it to Tao Lo or Wakanda and set up your Marvel campus there and the park will have balance in all four cloverleafs of the lands.

Havenā€™t seen any posts on this thread for a while. Some rumors Iā€™ve seen or heard from various places on the internet are:

Magic Kingdom: Hatbox ghost, Big Thunder Mountain special effects, small world characters, Stitch replacement (Possibly wreck it Ralph?).

I also think there will be some information about the return of the railroad. It would be interesting if they added a scene in the Railroad tunnel under Tron, similar to the Disneyland railroad.

A specific Tron opening date seems likely.

Epcot: Probably more details about the new festival building, Moana attraction and Walt statue.

It doesnā€™t seem like Epcot will have a ton of new things considering they still have several projects to finish. I do think they could announce the status of the play Pavillion or reintroduce the Mary Poppins attraction with more details.

A new movie where the Pixar Shirt film festival seems like a good idea and easy to achieve.

The figment redo gets discussed over and over. I think if they have a solid concept, this could possibly be announced, but I wouldn't expect any more construction in future world until a few of the other projects wrap up.

Hollywood Studios: Possible Launch Bay Replacement or replacement/return of the little mermaid show. That part of the park desperately needs some help.

Probably an update on the toy story BBQ restaurant.

Animal Kingdom: Seems like the the dinoland update is the one that the most people are discussing. Over the past few years I have seen a ride discussed similar to the Pirates ride in Shanghai and a Zootopia land. Iā€™m not sure either of those is very likely.

One thing Animal Kingdom is lacking is rides for smaller children. If you are under 40ā€ in animal kingdom, you are very limited with regard to rides.

I would like to see a slow dark ride in dinoland and a family friendly coaster (similar in intensity to mine train or slinky dog).

Disneyland: many people are talking about the possible return of the Peoplemover. The track seems too old to me to do this, but who knows. Progress updates for toon town with more details seems likely.

I think they will announce details on the new theme of the treehouse.

Some are taking about a fantasyland expansion which would include Frozen. I think they will
Wait to see how The international Frozen land works out before this happens.

DCA: New Quinjet Marvel ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter