D23 2022 News & Rumours

Haven’t seen any posts on this thread for a while. Some rumors I’ve seen or heard from various places on the internet are:

Magic Kingdom: Hatbox ghost, Big Thunder Mountain special effects, small world characters, Stitch replacement (Possibly wreck it Ralph?).

I also think there will be some information about the return of the railroad. It would be interesting if they added a scene in the Railroad tunnel under Tron, similar to the Disneyland railroad.

A specific Tron opening date seems likely.

Epcot: Probably more details about the new festival building, Moana attraction and Walt statue.

It doesn’t seem like Epcot will have a ton of new things considering they still have several projects to finish. I do think they could announce the status of the play Pavillion or reintroduce the Mary Poppins attraction with more details.

A new movie where the Pixar Shirt film festival seems like a good idea and easy to achieve.

The figment redo gets discussed over and over. I think if they have a solid concept, this could possibly be announced, but I wouldn't expect any more construction in future world until a few of the other projects wrap up.

Hollywood Studios: Possible Launch Bay Replacement or replacement/return of the little mermaid show. That part of the park desperately needs some help.

Probably an update on the toy story BBQ restaurant.

Animal Kingdom: Seems like the the dinoland update is the one that the most people are discussing. Over the past few years I have seen a ride discussed similar to the Pirates ride in Shanghai and a Zootopia land. I’m not sure either of those is very likely.

One thing Animal Kingdom is lacking is rides for smaller children. If you are under 40” in animal kingdom, you are very limited with regard to rides.

I would like to see a slow dark ride in dinoland and a family friendly coaster (similar in intensity to mine train or slinky dog).

Disneyland: many people are talking about the possible return of the Peoplemover. The track seems too old to me to do this, but who knows. Progress updates for toon town with more details seems likely.

I think they will announce details on the new theme of the treehouse.

Some are taking about a fantasyland expansion which would include Frozen. I think they will
Wait to see how The international Frozen land works out before this happens.

DCA: New Quinjet Marvel ride.
Thanks, I've added PeopleMover and something for Dinoland at AK, as well as the third land coming to Walt Disney Studios at DLP now Galaxy's Edge has been cancelled. I've not heard the MK rumours and the Launch Bay has just reopened so I think it is staying for a bit longer. Potentially something to replace Little Mermaid now though? Cannot wait until D23 and we actually get hardly anything 😂

My guess for WDW is the announcement for a Marvel Campus. I still think it makes sense to revamp AK's Dinoland. Theme it to Tao Lo or Wakanda and set up your Marvel campus there and the park will have balance in all four cloverleafs of the lands.
WDW won't have a Marvel campus like the one in Disneyland because of the exclusive "east of the Mississippi" rights that Universal has for Marvel characters. WDW cannot utilize any Marvel characters currently used in Universal Studios FL, or any Marvel characters from the same "family of rights" from a character being used in Universal Studios FL, and it cannot use the Marvel name.

So as it stands (and there is an in-perpetuity clause in the contract...so, forever) WDW can't have characters from Avengers, Spider-Man, Hulk, Fantastic Four, and X-Men families of rights. (for example: because the Fantastic Four character Dr Doom is used on the Doom Fearfall ride, Disney cannot use ANY character from that group of rights, including the core fantastic four, Galactus, and Silver Surfer).

Disney can use Guardians of the Galaxy, some of the Defenders, Shang-Chi, Blade and the Midnight Sons, and MAYBE Doctor Strange and Black Panther (there are questions as to whether Universal may hold some claim to those two). So it's possible we might see an immersive land designed to Wakanda or Ta-Lo, but we will never have a Marvel Campus in WDW unless Universal decides to sell the rights back to Disney for some reason.

Most of the things on my bingo card have been announced…
—Potential Duffy domestic relaunch announcement unless that Carlye Wisel Duffy panel is a troll
—MSEP news as why would they make a whole new finale unit just for a 4.5 month engagement
—Magic Happens return at DL
—perhaps Star Wars land replacement at Studios Paris will tie into rumored Tangled spinner???
—Ducktales World Showcase Adventure or another IP already replacing it (can tie into Magic band+ infrastructure)
—Epcot 40th and or Company 100th plans

WDW won't have a Marvel campus like the one in Disneyland because of the exclusive "east of the Mississippi" rights that Universal has for Marvel characters. WDW cannot utilize any Marvel characters currently used in Universal Studios FL, or any Marvel characters from the same "family of rights" from a character being used in Universal Studios FL, and it cannot use the Marvel name.

So as it stands (and there is an in-perpetuity clause in the contract...so, forever) WDW can't have characters from Avengers, Spider-Man, Hulk, Fantastic Four, and X-Men families of rights. (for example: because the Fantastic Four character Dr Doom is used on the Doom Fearfall ride, Disney cannot use ANY character from that group of rights, including the core fantastic four, Galactus, and Silver Surfer).

Disney can use Guardians of the Galaxy, some of the Defenders, Shang-Chi, Blade and the Midnight Sons, and MAYBE Doctor Strange and Black Panther (there are questions as to whether Universal may hold some claim to those two). So it's possible we might see an immersive land designed to Wakanda or Ta-Lo, but we will never have a Marvel Campus in WDW unless Universal decides to sell the rights back to Disney for some reason.
Getting off topic about D23 just to go over my knowledge of marvel in Florida….

Doctor Strange: In 2016 DHS had a monthlong street show to promote the film… rumors are however Florida lost rights to using him now that he’s associated with the avengers

Guardians of the Galaxy: despite being in two avengers films and Thor love and thunder they can be used in Florida and have been used in a dance party during the infamous villains unleashed event, a stage show in Epcot and now cosmic rewind

Black Panther: while he doesn’t appear onstage in universal he is in a mural either in a cast space or restroom… plus he was an “avenger” I have heard rumors Florida could maybe use the Dora Milaje

Eternals 100% we can have in Florida yet they didn’t give them to us when the film came out and from the way it was received I doubt they will appear

Shang Chi we may be able to have but not sure

https://www.insideuniversal.net/201...ct-what-rights-does-universal-and-disney-own/

This article outlines what rights Universal and Disney have. Still very confusing.

These paragraphs are interesting. Did the Covid closures make it a possibility that the contract could be voided because of that? I'm not sure if Disney is 'playing nice' by not going after Universal, or there are other clauses where 'Force Majeure Events' count Covid?

ONCE THE MARVEL UNIVERSE OPENS WITHIN THE ABOVE TIME PERIOD, THE TERM OF THIS AGREEMENT SHALL CONTINUE FOR SO LONG AS A THE MARVEL UNIVERSE SHALL REMAIN OPEN (AND OPERATED CONSISTENT WITH THE STANDARDS OF THE NEXT PARAGRAPH BELOW) AT ANY UNIVERSAL THEME PARK (ALLOWING FOR TEMPORARY CLOSURES FOR FORCE MAJEURE EVENTS OR REFURBISHMENT/MAINTENANCE PROVIDED THEY ARE BEING DILIGENTLY PURSUED), EXCEPT FOR TERMINATION

AT SUCH TIME AS ANY THE MARVEL UNIVERSE IS NO LONGER OPEN AT A PARTICULAR UNIVERSAL THEME PARK, ALL EXCLUSIVITY AND MARKETING RIGHTS ACQUIRED BY MCA AS A RESULT OF THE OPENING OF SUCH THE MARVEL UNIVERSE AT SUCH UNIVERSAL THEME PARK, AS SET FORTH IN SECTION IV BELOW, SHALL TERMINATE AND THIS AGREEMENT SHALL THEREAFTER BE CONSTRUED AS IF THE NOTICE OF INTENT TO OPEN THE MARVEL UNIVERSE HAD NOT BEEN GIVEN BY MCA.

Getting off topic about D23 just to go over my knowledge of marvel in Florida….

Doctor Strange: In 2016 DHS had a monthlong street show to promote the film… rumors are however Florida lost rights to using him now that he’s associated with the avengers

Guardians of the Galaxy: despite being in two avengers films and Thor love and thunder they can be used in Florida and have been used in a dance party during the infamous villains unleashed event, a stage show in Epcot and now cosmic rewind

Black Panther: while he doesn’t appear onstage in universal he is in a mural either in a cast space or restroom… plus he was an “avenger” I have heard rumors Florida could maybe use the Dora Milaje

Eternals 100% we can have in Florida yet they didn’t give them to us when the film came out and from the way it was received I doubt they will appear

Shang Chi we may be able to have but not sure

A characters rights are not based on what films they have appeared in within the MCU. There is actually something called the Marvel Bible of Rights. It includes every Marvel character, grouped together by what they refer to as "families" of rights. Generally speaking, these families are determined by their comic book runs with characters often falling into a family of rights based on their comic book debut, or in some cases, what story group they spent the most time in. There are a few exceptions where characters officially fall under two different families (ie: Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Namor) and then...its a VERY complicated contractual web to suss out who can do what with said characters. lol.

So in the examples above, the Guardians appearance in Avengers and Thor films has no bearing on Disney's ability to use them in WDW. Because Guardians of the Galaxy are their own separate "family" of rights, and they are not being used in any form at Universal Studios. And for Black Panther, my understanding is that he and related Wakandan characters have their own family of rights separate from the Avengers (he spent about 2 years appearing with them in the comics, but did not debut in Avengers comics and has spent the bulk of his time in solo comics). But if Universal has a public facing image/mural of him, that would seem to preclude Disney from adding him in WDW (I honestly don't remember if there's a mural of him, been forever since I went to Universal). Eternals are totally fair game, but not popular enough for a ride or land.

And @bbeagle that is super interesting to think that Disney may have some legal argument based on Covid closures! I hadn't thought of that. Though I also think given the unprecedented nature of a global health crisis, Universal would also be able to put forth a strong argument in their favor. It would probably turn into an epic drawn out court battle if Disney wanted to act on this.

Back to the topic of D23, I think for parks they will largely focus on:

-Tron opening and the re-opening of the WDW Railroad
-Closing date for Splash Mountain with a ton more detail and concept art for Tiana's Bayou Adventure
-The transformation of EPCOT spine/future world. I'd wager we get an opening date for Moana Journey of Water, and an approx completion time for the rest of the overhaul
-potential return of Happily Ever After nighttime show after the 50th (likely "plussed" with the projection mapping on Main Street)

Honestly, I think that'll be mostly it for major parks announcements. Us fans can clearly identify other areas in the park which desperately need TLC/updates (mainly Dinoland in AK and Animation Courtyard in HS), but I sadly think work on those areas is very far down the line and their focus right now in terms of park construction is just about EPCOT. I expect the bulk of the major reveals to be about their slate of films and series. There are still about 6 open release dates for the MCU calendar for Phase 5, which we will probably get info on (I expect them to reveal their plan to add Mutants to the MCU). We will likely get a full trailer for Avatar. Maybe trailers or teasers for upcoming Star Wars content: The Acolyte, Ahsoka, The Mandalorian, Jedi: Survivor, several rumored video games in development.

A characters rights are not based on what films they have appeared in within the MCU. There is actually something called the Marvel Bible of Rights. It includes every Marvel character, grouped together by what they refer to as "families" of rights. Generally speaking, these families are determined by their comic book runs with characters often falling into a family of rights based on their comic book debut, or in some cases, what story group they spent the most time in. There are a few exceptions where characters officially fall under two different families (ie: Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Namor) and then...its a VERY complicated contractual web to suss out who can do what with said characters. lol.

So in the examples above, the Guardians appearance in Avengers and Thor films has no bearing on Disney's ability to use them in WDW. Because Guardians of the Galaxy are their own separate "family" of rights, and they are not being used in any form at Universal Studios. And for Black Panther, my understanding is that he and related Wakandan characters have their own family of rights separate from the Avengers (he spent about 2 years appearing with them in the comics, but did not debut in Avengers comics and has spent the bulk of his time in solo comics). But if Universal has a public facing image/mural of him, that would seem to preclude Disney from adding him in WDW (I honestly don't remember if there's a mural of him, been forever since I went to Universal). Eternals are totally fair game, but not popular enough for a ride or land.

And @bbeagle that is super interesting to think that Disney may have some legal argument based on Covid closures! I hadn't thought of that. Though I also think given the unprecedented nature of a global health crisis, Universal would also be able to put forth a strong argument in their favor. It would probably turn into an epic drawn out court battle if Disney wanted to act on this.

Back to the topic of D23, I think for parks they will largely focus on:

-Tron opening and the re-opening of the WDW Railroad
-Closing date for Splash Mountain with a ton more detail and concept art for Tiana's Bayou Adventure
-The transformation of EPCOT spine/future world. I'd wager we get an opening date for Moana Journey of Water, and an approx completion time for the rest of the overhaul
-potential return of Happily Ever After nighttime show after the 50th (likely "plussed" with the projection mapping on Main Street)

Honestly, I think that'll be mostly it for major parks announcements. Us fans can clearly identify other areas in the park which desperately need TLC/updates (mainly Dinoland in AK and Animation Courtyard in HS), but I sadly think work on those areas is very far down the line and their focus right now in terms of park construction is just about EPCOT. I expect the bulk of the major reveals to be about their slate of films and series. There are still about 6 open release dates for the MCU calendar for Phase 5, which we will probably get info on (I expect them to reveal their plan to add Mutants to the MCU). We will likely get a full trailer for Avatar. Maybe trailers or teasers for upcoming Star Wars content: The Acolyte, Ahsoka, The Mandalorian, Jedi: Survivor, several rumored video games in development.

They absolutely will have new announcements. They're is no way possible with Epic Universe opening in a few years that all they'll advice is a few opening dates.

Expect everything you mentioned plus a teaser of Animal Kingdom dino updates along with a few unexpected new announcements.

They absolutely will have new announcements. They're is no way possible with Epic Universe opening in a few years that all they'll advice is a few opening dates.

Expect everything you mentioned plus a teaser of Animal Kingdom dino updates along with a few unexpected new announcements.
I don't think they care about Epic Universe. The big thing is I'm not expecting much. Why add a bunch of new things when people seem to fill the parks without new additions.

Same. The fans keep thinking there will be some massive "response" to Epic Universe in the form of major rides or lands added to the parks. But I dont think those are coming anytime soon. They are already making money hand over fist with the very minor things they did for the 50th, and the demand for park tickets has never subsided. They will be more focused on film/tv content as they are desperately trying to get Disney+ to a place of profitability. So I suspect the biggest announcements of D23 will be aimed at generating excitement over their upcoming content, as a way to gain subscribers.

I have been studying the D23 poster and I see some interesting things! Elliot is on there. Maybe a sign of the return of the MSEP. I also see the Dragon from Enchanted so maybe we get a trailer of that. Theres a Jungle Cruise boat so I am guessing maybe the sequel. Lots of interesting things on the poster. I will attach it!

Attachments

• 303033536_5986014708077187_7047838241304903725_n.jpg
    303033536_5986014708077187_7047838241304903725_n.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 64
Interesting find with the poster! Love combing through the images. I see:

SpaceShip Earth = EPCOT spine overhaul
Tinkerbell = her land in Fantasy Springs at Tokyo DisneySea?
Capt America's shield = info re: Captain America 4
Simpsons Donut = a new Simpson's short?
Maleficent = third movie trailer/release date?
Banshee = Avatar: The Way of Water trailer
Dumbo = ???
Buzz Lightyear = ???
Eve = ??? (I hope a Wall-E & Eve attraction goes into the Stitch spot)
Boba's ship = Boba Fett return? Or Mando s3 release date/teaser
Nova Corp ship = holiday overlay for Cosmic Rewind, Guardians Holiday Special, Guardians vol 3, rumored Nova project
The Great Gonzo = more Disney+ Muppets content? MuppetVision update?
Orange Bird = ???
Naboo Starfighter = Star Wars content...Mandalorian S3? The Acolyte?
X-Wing = Rogue Squadron?
Winnie the Pooh = ???
Stitch = ??? (character dining back at Ohana?)
Light disc = Tron Lightcycle Run
Oswald = this year's pin?
Star/Circle logo = ???
Remy = ???
Training Droid = Obi Wan S2 announcement or Jedi: Survivor release/trailer
Monkey = ???
Keyblade = Kingdom Hearts add-on or new game
Sword = I think it's Raya's, for her Princess induction
Grogu = Madalorian S3 update
Pixar Ball = Pixar Pier Hotel update?
Encanto candle = treehouse overlay in DL
Enchanted dragon = Disenchanted trailer
"Fulcrum" Symbol (above Mickey's head) = Ahsoka
Elliot = Main Street Electrical Parade?!
Vanellope = Wreck it Ralph/Candy Crush ride?
Rapunzel hair = Tokyo Tangled ride/land update
Tiana = Tiana's Bayou Adventure date/artwork
Mulan = ??? (sequel to live action movie?)
Elsa = Frozen 3 update. And/or Frozen land in Disneyland Paris
Gargoyles = finally the hatbox ghost in Haunted Mansion??
Book (?) in the window = Winifreds spellbook from Hocus Pocus 2?
Spider-Man = would they announce things for a Sony film?
Indiana Jones = finally forward motion on new movie?
Genie Lamp = Genie+ updates maybe?
Turning Red statues = Character meet and greet?
Nautilus & squid arm = 20,000 Leagues remake? Trader Sam's update?
Mermaid tail = live action Little Mermaid trailer
Jungle Cruise boat = movie sequel
Moana's boat = Moana Journey of Water opening date
Submarine = update to Nemo Submarine voyage in DL? Is the dolphin related?
Dolphin = a new Dolphin nature documentary?
Luca & Alberto = ???
5 logos on castle walls
top left = S.E.A. (Society of Explorers and Adventurers)
bottom left = Shang-Chi symbol
top right = Black Panther
middle right = Monsters Inc
bottom right = Andor

Last edited:

Tinkerbell = her land in DisneySea?
Pink/blue bird ??? Not sure what this is
Dumbo = ???
Buzz Lightyear = ???
Nova Corp ship = holiday overlay for Cosmic Rewind or info about 3rd film
Naboo Starfighter & X-Wing = Star Wars content...Andor? Ahsoka?
Winnie the Pooh = ???
Stitch = ???
Remy = ???
Grand Inquisitor = Obi Wan S2 announcement?
Unidentifiable logos next to Oswald = ???
Monkey = ???
Pixar Ball = ???
Mulan = ??? sequel movie?
Elsa = Frozen 3 update
Gargoyles = finally hatbox ghost in Haunted Mansion??
Two pink pig (?) statues = ???
Luca & Alberto = ???
5 logos on castle walls = can only truly make out Monsters Inc logo. Maybe above it is Black Panther? One of them could be related to Avatar since I dont see that film explicitly represented. Bottom one looks like something Ive seen in Star Wars but cant place it. Are the two on the left wall maybe EPCOT pavilion logos?
Wow, you did an amazing job looking through these!

A couple additions: The pig statues are actually the statues from Turning Red, I believe. Maybe an announcement regarding a sequel/short/parks meet and greet with Panda Mei?

Also, I noticed The Great Gonzo at the top as one of the streaks coming out of the castle, which is super exciting. Maybe a Muppetvision refurb?

Edit: And I just noticed the SEA logo on the castle wall - maybe something related to the film adaptation? Love theorizing about these!

Wow, you did an amazing job looking through these!

A couple additions: The pig statues are actually the statues from Turning Red, I believe. Maybe an announcement regarding a sequel/short/parks meet and greet with Panda Mei?

Also, I noticed The Great Gonzo at the top as one of the streaks coming out of the castle, which is super exciting. Maybe a Muppetvision refurb?

Edit: And I just noticed the SEA logo on the castle wall - maybe something related to the film adaptation? Love theorizing about these!

Oh is THAT what that figure is?! I couldnt tell haha. Good eyes, I've added it to the above list. I'll take more Muppets anywhere I can get them, though its more likely a Disney+ special than a Muppet Vision refurb (I so wish the 3D movie could be updated).

Tinkerbell = her land in DisneySea?
Pink/blue bird ??? Not sure what this is
Dumbo = ???
Buzz Lightyear = ???
Nova Corp ship = holiday overlay for Cosmic Rewind or info about 3rd film
The Great Gonzo = more Muppets content? MuppetVision update?
Naboo Starfighter & X-Wing = Star Wars content...Andor? Ahsoka?
Winnie the Pooh = ???
Stitch = ???
Remy = ???
Grand Inquisitor = Obi Wan S2 announcement?
Unidentifiable logos next to Oswald = ???
Monkey = ???
Pixar Ball = ???
Mulan = ??? sequel movie?
Elsa = Frozen 3 update
Gargoyles = finally hatbox ghost in Haunted Mansion??
Two pink pig (?) statues = ???
Luca & Alberto = ???
5 logos on castle walls = can only truly make out Monsters Inc logo. Maybe above it is Black Panther? One of them could be related to Avatar since I dont see that film explicitly represented. Bottom one looks like something Ive seen in Star Wars but cant place it. Are the two on the left wall maybe EPCOT pavilion logos?
This is an awesome list.

To add, the blue/pink bird your referring to appears to be a banshee from Avatar.

This is an awesome list.

To add, the blue/pink bird your referring to appears to be a banshee from Avatar.
That makes total sense! Thank you! I'll add your find to the collective list (my eyes are failing me I guess). But I fully expect to get a trailer for Avatar: Way of Water, so a banshee makes sense for the poster. I also realized I failed to list the Orange Bird (though I have no idea what its significance would be...Dole Whip news? lol)

Bizarrely, I don't see anything that references Tron (or the railroad) which is largely predicted to get a big shout out as it should be opening fairly soon. Perhaps one of the logos I cant seem to make out has to do with it?

That makes total sense! Thank you! I'll add your find to the collective list (my eyes are failing me I guess). But I fully expect to get a trailer for Avatar: Way of Water, so a banshee makes sense for the poster. I also realized I failed to list the Orange Bird (though I have no idea what its significance would be...Dole Whip news? lol)

Bizarrely, I don't see anything that references Tron (or the railroad) which is largely predicted to get a big shout out as it should be opening fairly soon. Perhaps one of the logos I cant seem to make out has to do with it?
Nevermind, found a Tron reference!! The circular shape next to Oswald is a Light Disc!

Still unclear as to what the Star in a circle represents to the right of Oswald. America Chavez is often represented with a star? But not really in a circle.

Nevermind, found a Tron reference!! The circular shape next to Oswald is a Light Disc!

Still unclear as to what the Star in a circle represents to the right of Oswald. America Chavez is often represented with a star? But not really in a circle.
Lol, I was just about to point out the disc! I'm really scouring this poster haha!

Wonder if the star represents the railroad in some way?

Lol, I was just about to point out the disc! I'm really scouring this poster haha!

Wonder if the star represents the railroad in some way?
Saw a higher res version of the image online and was able to put together all 5 castle wall logos! Updated the list
And what I initially thought was the Grand Inquisitor is actually a training droid in the high res version (the circular shape looked like the emoji version of the inquisitor that was just added to Emoji Blitz)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter