D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say my hype and excitement is fading as I see more about Galaxy's Edge. Am I the only one?
The more I hear about about smugglers run the less I'm excited. It seems like the ride is OK not great. The queue is the best part. The food looks mediocre and the blue milk seems to be a letdown. And I'm a huge starwars fan! (the original trilogy mostly). I was thinking this was going to blow pandora and the wizarding world out the water but Im now thinking it wont. This seems to be like an additional pavilion a la epcot. Nice to look around, try some food, and then leave to enjoy Disneyland. I am due to visit next week so we shall see what happens. Perhaps Rise of the Resistance will make me think differently as well.
I also hear people getting emotional seeing the falcon which makes me think why they didn't just make everything from the original trilogy to make EVERYTHING make you emotional. Tatooine. Endor. Hoth. Darth Vadar. Luke.

Because people would have meltdowns if the land wasn't exactly like Tatooine or Endor, or if Luke had hair that was 2 shades blonder than in the films, or if they skipped over Leia (and would she have the cinnamon bun hair or the slave outfit) or...

They went with a whole new world, that allowed some creative freedom, and they didn't have to worry about "in the 3rd film, at 43:39:22, that rock over there was covered with grey moss and was 6" bigger....." And yes, that would happen...have you ever read tales of the Star Trek convention people?

According to this video, for 8am reservations after receiving your wristbands at Launch Bay, you will proceed to a queue near Finding Nemo. Then at rope drop they will walk you in an orderly fashion to the Frontierland entrance. This is supposedly for Opening Day, so we'll see if this applies throughout the reservation period.

Because people would have meltdowns if the land wasn't exactly like Tatooine or Endor, or if Luke had hair that was 2 shades blonder than in the films, or if they skipped over Leia (and would she have the cinnamon bun hair or the slave outfit) or...

They went with a whole new world, that allowed some creative freedom, and they didn't have to worry about "in the 3rd film, at 43:39:22, that rock over there was covered with grey moss and was 6" bigger....." And yes, that would happen...have you ever read tales of the Star Trek convention people?

If that's the reason they didn't do it, I would be so disappointed in Disney. If you look at Hogwarts for example, there is a lot of things in there that isn't exactly like the books or movies whether its the distance of Hogwarts from Hogsmeade or sightlines of the hippogriff ride, the voice of hermoine on the train, etc. The majority of the fans however are gushing over it. I think that would be the same with Star Wars. The majority of people would be head over heels for it. I do hope they do fill the land with things that WILL pull on the heartstrings from the 1977 classics which they could still do if people clamour for it as the shininess of the land wears off. Again I will keep an open mind when I do step into the land but will be so disappointed if its a letdown knowing they put all that work money and effort into it instead of a surefire hit by making the classic lands. I think the real dilemma was the mandate from the big boss that this land had to bet in the new trilogy for the sales of its new movies but no locations are places anyone dreams of visiting so they had to make a new place.

Anybody know of any Youtubers going live tonight at all? I can imagine there will be alot of streamers at midnight going into parking lot and getting ready.

There's a pretty fair police presence outside the gates on Harbor. Not sure if it's related to potential crowds tonight or if there's something else going on.

To the person already nay saying GE...give me a break. You haven't even seen it yet. We went to Universal last weekend and saw Hogwarts for the first time. It was cool and felt movie settish, but it wasn't that amazing. I could easily see other parts of the park and we took a short path from the tour/Simpsons area and were suddenly back by Hogwarts. From seeing GE being built a year ago while in DL and from aerial views I already know GE is more immersive than Hogwarts in Hollywood Studios. Now seeing videos and pictures, it is easy to see how expansive the land is.

To the person already nay saying GE...give me a break. You haven't even seen it yet...
I was going to say that apparently it was good enough for Lucas, Hamill, Ford, etc., but it isn't good enough for someone who hasn't even seen it yet? Oh, well...
I'm going to reserve my judgement until we actually see it -- something which I am very much anticipating.

To the person already nay saying GE...give me a break. You haven't even seen it yet. We went to Universal last weekend and saw Hogwarts for the first time. It was cool and felt movie settish, but it wasn't that amazing. I could easily see other parts of the park and we took a short path from the tour/Simpsons area and were suddenly back by Hogwarts. From seeing GE being built a year ago while in DL and from aerial views I already know GE is more immersive than Hogwarts in Hollywood Studios. Now seeing videos and pictures, it is easy to see how expansive the land is.

Yea I don't get the negativity. From what I've seen, it looks fantastic. I don't even give a damn about the ride honestly. I just want to explore the land and immerse myself in it. I can't wait.

There's a pretty fair police presence outside the gates on Harbor. Not sure if it's related to potential crowds tonight or if there's something else going on.

We’ve been saying the same today - we only saw 2/3 police on our last trip in December. I wonder if it’s because the grad nites?

Just said the same on the other thread so sorry for duplicate post - I’ve just left DL and there is no one trying to hang around on the esplanade. There are a fair few large groups before security but can’t see anything with chairs etc.

To go with this, and to answer the earlier poster, it's partially that, but it's also like, Tatooine. People say they wanted it. But that's what, the cantina? There is a reason Luke wanted off the planet. Also (and I remember this coming up at one of the GE panels I went to or watched over the years, there is the matter of climate. Let's imagine we recreate Mos Eisley. In Orlando. With the humidity. And every day for at least six months out of the year at around 3 PM, it rains. That's... kinda completely ruining the immersion aspect. (Yes I know CA and FL have different climates, but since Batuu was determined to be temperate, you can think of it as a dry and wet season.)

Then to go along with the OT is best idea, let's look at the worlds visited:
Tatooine - desert world, considered a nowhere land ruled by a Hutt
Death Star
Yavin IV - rebel base is kinda cool, but no population at the time
Hoth - ice world, with no sentient life
Dagobah - swamp world with a population of one Jedi Master.
Cloud City on Bespin - first truly viable world! Other than being almost entirely enclosed.
Back to Tatooine - you're gonna die here you know
Death Star II
Forest Moon of Endor - semi-viable? Does have a population, but they haven't mastered commerce

Basically we go to a lot of single-biome worlds that are frequently the site of major battles and chosen by either side specifically for being away from civilization. Cool worlds, cool movie sets, not very compelling theme park experiences to walk around in more than once.

Oddly if we go to the derided prequels we get worlds that could be plumbed for this sort of thing: Theed on Naboo, anywhere on Coruscant - save for the having to do levels and how do you do a skyscraper that tall, and such. But I don't see calls for those areas.

HP and the Wizarding World have the built in advantage of being built on school setting. Ergo, let's recreate the town outside the school. The first book has an ENTIRE shopping sequence! Horray, we've already got designs for our shops! These were two COMPLETELY different challenges to create a theme park experience. And heck Pandora got brought up by the OP, and it's not like that land has a bunch of exact touch points to the one movie. It too even takes place YEARS later.

Anyway, I've got to be up in omg, five hours to go see this land for myself, (and sorry to the person this ended up being in reply to!) I'm off to bed! aiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeee

PS First movie I ever remember seeing is ESB, so I'm not some youngling here! :D

To go with this, and to answer the earlier poster, it's partially that, but it's also like, Tatooine. People say they wanted it. But that's what, the cantina? There is a reason Luke wanted off the planet. Also (and I remember this coming up at one of the GE panels I went to or watched over the years, there is the matter of climate. Let's imagine we recreate Mos Eisley. In Orlando. With the humidity. And every day for at least six months out of the year at around 3 PM, it rains. That's... kinda completely ruining the immersion aspect. (Yes I know CA and FL have different climates, but since Batuu was determined to be temperate, you can think of it as a dry and wet season.)

Then to go along with the OT is best idea, let's look at the worlds visited:
Tatooine - desert world, considered a nowhere land ruled by a Hutt
Death Star
Yavin IV - rebel base is kinda cool, but no population at the time
Hoth - ice world, with no sentient life
Dagobah - swamp world with a population of one Jedi Master.
Cloud City on Bespin - first truly viable world! Other than being almost entirely enclosed.
Back to Tatooine - you're gonna die here you know
Death Star II
Forest Moon of Endor - semi-viable? Does have a population, but they haven't mastered commerce

Basically we go to a lot of single-biome worlds that are frequently the site of major battles and chosen by either side specifically for being away from civilization. Cool worlds, cool movie sets, not very compelling theme park experiences to walk around in more than once.

Oddly if we go to the derided prequels we get worlds that could be plumbed for this sort of thing: Theed on Naboo, anywhere on Coruscant - save for the having to do levels and how do you do a skyscraper that tall, and such. But I don't see calls for those areas.

HP and the Wizarding World have the built in advantage of being built on school setting. Ergo, let's recreate the town outside the school. The first book has an ENTIRE shopping sequence! Horray, we've already got designs for our shops! These were two COMPLETELY different challenges to create a theme park experience. And heck Pandora got brought up by the OP, and it's not like that land has a bunch of exact touch points to the one movie. It too even takes place YEARS later.

Anyway, I've got to be up in omg, five hours to go see this land for myself, (and sorry to the person this ended up being in reply to!) I'm off to bed! aiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeee

PS First movie I ever remember seeing is ESB, so I'm not some youngling here! :D

Are you a PhD in Star Wars or something?

According to Instagram posters I follow , the line in the esplanade has already begun.
The most recent experience I had with this was at the opening of Guardians, lining up at 4am , getting onto the ride by 8:15am with an 8am park opening , pulling a fastpass immediately after and seeing the line stretch down Buena vista street after.

May the force be with you all!

We walked from DLH (after a yummy Trader Sam's visit) through DTD and when we hit the esplanade (this was at 1am) we saw the line up had started.
20190531_010040.jpg

There were plenty of Anaheim police including two in a "golf cart" going down DTD and parked in various spots on Harbor just outside the entrance.

The line did not tempt me to change my plans of showing up around 7am to get some Opening Day merch, lol. I am in my warm comfy bed across the street while they sit on the cold hard pavement for hours.

Looking forward to seeing what happens tomorrow. Uh, I mean today in about 4.5 hours, lol.

They were supposed to open at 2am for merch. Latest info is they are going to give out wristbands to buy merch but you cannot buy any merch until 8am. I have an 8am reservation for GE so looks like you won’t be able to get merch before 8am reservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter