D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you ask some they'll say the "best" is the original release of the VHS before Lucas went back and added things. To me I think everything they offer right now is of similar quality with the only real difference being packaging but I also don't pay much attention to the "exclusive" bonus material in each set (not that it stops me from purchasing when a new "set" is released😅)
This! I don’t like the versions of the old movies with the new things added in... I like the originals!

My husband carried on his light saber. The TSA agents were very curious about it and checked it out carefully. Then they wanted a demonstration (it wasn't crowded). We were flying on Southwest domestically. Here's what TSA has to say about light sabers:

Light Saber
Carry On Bags:
Yes
Checked Bags:
Yes
Sadly, the technology doesn't currently exist to create a real lightsaber. However, you can pack a toy lightsaber in your carry-on or checked bag. May the force be with you.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/light-saber
This is hilarious! Who knew TSA had a sense of humor? :confused3

Question for all SW fans out there: DH would like a DVD set of the SW movies, and I would like to surprise him with a good set (not the most expensive collectible set, but is there a "gold standard" set?). What should I be looking at on Amazon.com (or is there someplace else I should look?) and how much should I be expecting to spend? (Our SWGE date is toward the end of the reservation period, so I have a little time, if using Amazon, to get his surprise.)
Here is the latest definitive set with lots of cool special features.
Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI) (Packaging May Vary) [Blu-ray] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZSJ212/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RLu9CbMZG7P9V
This set does not contain the original theatrical releases for the original trilogy. Those were only available on DVD for a short time and are no longer in print. This only matters if someone is determined to have the original theatrical releases. The blu-ray releases that Lucasfilm did for the 6 films before Disney took over are perfectly fine for those not worried about the original theatrical cuts (which I would love to have on legal HD). In the past it was possible to buy the prequel trilogy separate from the original trilogy. This was cheaper because it did not include the 3 bonus feature discs that come with the 9 disc set.

This! I don’t like the versions of the old movies with the new things added in... I like the originals!
I would love a hybrid of the changes. But that's never going to happen. I don't mind some of the tweaks like improved explosions, but there are a lot of the changes I wish had never occurred.

This set does not contain the original theatrical releases for the original trilogy. Those were only available on DVD for a short time and are no longer in print. This only matters if someone is determined to have the original theatrical releases. The blu-ray releases that Lucasfilm did for the 6 films before Disney took over are perfectly fine for those not worried about the original theatrical cuts (which I would love to have on legal HD). In the past it was possible to buy the prequel trilogy separate from the original trilogy. This was cheaper because it did not include the 3 bonus feature discs that come with the 9 disc set.

I would love a hybrid of the changes. But that's never going to happen. I don't mind some of the tweaks like improved explosions, but there are a lot of the changes I wish had never occurred.
Yub Nub!!

Is there supposed to be an instruction booklet for the droid you get at droid depot? I got a backpack and the CM put it in there for me and let me have one of the carry boxes (before it's assembled). But I'm home now and wondering what I do if I need to re-pair the remote or something.

How were crowds today after opening day weekend? Did they increase from the dead park?
From the app, it looks busier than “dead,” but not particularly crowded. RSR is showing 45 minutes and Incredicoaster is at 10, but there are lots of things with 15-20 minute waits that were all at 5 minutes on Friday/Saturday.

I’ll be there tomorrow with SWGE from 8-12 and then hanging out for a few hours afterward, so I’ll report back then.

Just a quick report on my 8am visit today.

I ended up getting to the gate at 7:30. No line at the SWGE front gate entrance. Went to Launch Bay and got my band right away. Walked out with the crowd and as I did they they started to move us to SWGE. I know I was in the back of the line but I don't feel it hurt me that much. I chose not to do the Cantina or Savi's. I went right on the Falcon. It was 25 mins to get to the pre-show, so not bad. I was the Engineer. There's a LOT to do as an engineer and watch which lights to hit! It was fun! Pilots were kids so we crashed a lot but got 1 of those train things he wanted. I was a bit overwhelmed the first time as I didn't really know the flow. But it was REALLY fun. FOP in Pandora is still tops, tho. :) This is fun just different because it's so interactive.

I then walked a little to take some pics. The place is so well themed. There really is nothing like it. I then went to wait on the droid depot line which was about 30 mins. Then walked to Docking Bay 7 and got a Roasted Endorian Tip-Yip Salad. I liked the chicken and the salad in it but the other stuff had a strange texture that put me off. But I loved the theming and presentation.. the metal Spork was neat. Then I roamed around to see everything. Saw Chewbacca and Rey walking around. Stormtroopers harassing everyone. :) They are awesome and are fun to watch/listen to.

I went on the single rider line and got Pilot. That was a lot of fun. I did have a SLIGHT dizziness after it was over. Nothing I'd complain about but still love the ride and have a better feel for it the second time.

Got some blue milk and hung around the falcon watching everything for a bit. I didn't want to leave!

I thought about sneaking into ROTR ride and make them let me try it out. But I didn't want to get his with a blaster if they saw me. :)

Here's a link to some pics: 61660048_10156503484269385_2940559637063139328_n.jpg

Last edited:
How were crowds today after opening day weekend? Did they increase from the dead park?

It’s a little busier today. It’s noticeable walking around. We just did Jungle Cruise at 5 mins and there was no queue in Gibson Girl 30 mins ago. Buzz was 10 mins a while ago and we only waited 10 mins for BTM even though it said 35 mins. We even got a seat at the bar straight away in Trader Sams an hour after opening! The weather has finally gotten a little bit better today after being cloudy for the last 2 days.

Is there supposed to be an instruction booklet for the droid you get at droid depot? I got a backpack and the CM put it in there for me and let me have one of the carry boxes (before it's assembled). But I'm home now and wondering what I do if I need to re-pair the remote or something.

No instructions were given to us, the CM just said everything you need to know is on the bottom of the box.

Just a quick report on my 8am visit today.

I ended up getting to the gate at 7:30. No line at the SWGE front gate entrance. Went to Launch Bay and got my band right away. Walked out with the crowd and as I did they they started to move us to SWGE. I know I was in the back of the line but I don't feel it hurt me that much. I chose not to do the Cantina or Savi's. I went right on the Falcon. It was 25 mins to get to the pre-show, so not bad. I was the Engineer. There's a LOT to do as an engineer and watch which lights to hit! It was fun! Pilots were kids so we crashed a lot but got 1 of those train things he wanted. I was a bit overwhelmed the first time as I didn't really know the flow. But it was REALLY fun. FOP in Pandora is still tops, tho. :) This is fun just different because it's so interactive.

I then walked a little to take some pics. The place is so well themed. There really is nothing like it. I then went to wait on the droid depot line which was about 30 mins. Then walked to Docking Bay 7 and got a Roasted Endorian Tip-Yip Salad. I liked the chicken and the salad in it but the other stuff had a strange texture that put me off. But I loved the theming and presentation.. the metal Spork was neat. Then I roamed around to see everything. Saw Chewbacca and Rey walking around. Stormtroopers harassing everyone. :) They are awesome and are fun to watch/listen to.

I went on the single rider line and got Pilot. That was a lot of fun. I did have a SLIGHT dizziness after it was over. Nothing I'd complain about but still love the ride and have a better feel for it the second time.

Got some blue milk and hung around the falcon watching everything for a bit. I didn't want to leave!

I thought about sneaking into ROTR ride and make them let me try it out. But I didn't want to get his with a blaster if they saw me. :)View attachment 406035

Your droid is cool! I’m going for the ‘see through’ head next time.

Another report from an 8am reservation this morning (Monday) and some Cantina procedure notes:

Got to DL gates at 6:00am. There were 4 lines at the gates marked "Special Event Tickets". Lines were about back to the monorail track but were very loose. It did not seem crowded. Gates opened at 6:05, I scanned in at gate at 6:10, walked to Launch Bay with the crowd, and was out of Launch Bay with wristband at 6:25am. It was super efficient and easy.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but during this time Galactic Grill is open for breakfast (and appears to have mobile order available), along with a Tomorrowland fruit cart, and a stand selling cinnamon rolls.

I was not at the front of the line, but was toward the front. At 7:45 we were walked to the Frontierland entrance. There were a few people who were rushing along the sides of the line when the path got wider, but it was pretty orderly. Since this was not an EMH day, there wasn't really an opportunity for the line to get mixed up in FL.

Entered at the Frontierland entrance and the group was herded to the right toward First Order Cargo. (I don't know if they were actually preventing people from going straight up the middle path, but the mob was all going to the right).

By the Milk Stand a CM was calling out directions: Smuggler's Run to the left (toward the ride) and Cantina to the right (AWAY from the Cantina) and directing people down the path to Fantasyland. Down the path toward Fantasyland, everyone was put into a line. The CM was counting people off (I was 61) and was well within the first group to go into the Cantina. I wasn't sure if I was going to try to do the cantina or not having heard about how packed it gets, but having done it I'm so glad I did. It was great. It was so fun to be in there and hang out (for the 45 minute time limit) - especially with everyone else who was also just in there to have fun and excited to experience the new land.

Still had plenty of time to ride Smuggler's Run a bunch of times and try all the positions. I actually liked all the jobs. Next time I ride, I don't feel like I'll be disappointed to get one job instead of another. I like the ride a lot and I don't think it's "better" when you do good and "not as good" when you do bad, necessarily. One weird note: normally I HATE when guests try to interact with, or be part of, the ride experience - calling out lines, etc. But something odd here... on one of my flights, there was a young woman who had clearly ridden a bunch of times. And all throughout the ride, she was rallying the crew and calling out to everyone about what needed to be done (in a positive, lively way). And you know what... I think that actually made the ride better. It totally upped the excitement and the "we're in this together" mentality. In contrast, the least interesting flight I had was one where the 6 of us all just kind of silently got on together and didn't really make any effort to interact in any way. I'm no extrovert (so I know this can be easier said than done) but I highly recommend that you try to at least exchange some friendly chit chat with your fellow crew members prior to the flight.

Hope this helps anyone visiting soon!

Another report from an 8am reservation this morning

Entered at the Frontierland entrance and the group was herded to the right toward First Order Cargo. (I don't know if they were actually preventing people from going straight up the middle path, but the mob was all going to the right).

Hope this helps anyone visiting soon!

Thank you. THIS scenario would be helpful if other 8 am guests could be on the lookout for in the next few days. Are people being blocked from going up the middle?? Because that is how I plan on getting to Savi.

Thank you. THIS scenario would be helpful if other 8 am guests could be on the lookout for in the next few days. Are people being blocked from going up the middle?? Because that is how I plan on getting to Savi.

They blocked us from going up the middle path yesterday morning and I’ve read many other reports that they do. So seems they are definitely funnelling the 8am crowd in one way only.

We had plenty of time to get to Savi’s - the queue did not close for 30 mins.

They blocked us from going up the middle path yesterday morning and I’ve read many other reports that they do. So seems they are definitely funnelling the 8am crowd in one way only.

So, up through First Order toward MF, turn at Dok Ondar's and down the steps to Savi, then?

@Tink1987 Thanks. Although, with reports again today that guests at Savi needed to stay there the whole time (at least that's what I read this morning, despite yesterday having return times), there 8s a big difference between using a very long percentage of your time there waiting for your spot (being near the end of the cutoff time of 30ish minutes), versus being in the first group or two and being done within an hour or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter