D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Piggybacking on the rider swap issue. After the 23rd If the line is very long (hours?)what's the parent with the baby supposed to do while they wait. I assume with the virtual line to get in the land, if you leave the land to do something with the little you're out of luck, Right? Does anyone have any info on how that will work?

For anyone that's bought or tried out one of the BB-8 style units from the Droid Depot, are their fairly easy to control/drive? I have one of the Sphero BB-8 units and, while very cute, I've had a pretty hard time actually figuring out how to steer it where I want it to go. I've watched some videos and it looks like the R2-style units are pretty easy to drive, but the BB-8 ones seems a bit more difficult.

They do go very fast and the head constantly pops off - it is magnetised. It was quite funny as the CM who activated mine told me to try her out and the head popped off immediately. She said that will happen a lot. I was like gee thanks, $99 on this and the head comes off constantly :rotfl:

To be fair though the more you play with it, the more you get used to the control and how sensitive it is.

I think they don’t want to do package shopping either or drop off because they don’t want to be sending back hundreds of long lightsaber bags and heavy droids.

This might be a dumb question, but since the droids take batteries, do we have to purchase them separately at the droid depot? I would imagine they'd be expensive, so could we bring our own batteries?

This might be a dumb question, but since the droids take batteries, do we have to purchase them separately at the droid depot? I would imagine they'd be expensive, so could we bring our own batteries?
Custom droids and lightsaber both include batteries as far as I know

They come with batteries already inside; they don't sell batteries in the land itself. The BB droid takes 6-AA batteries in the motor. But the existing ones should last you for your entire trip to DL.

I received the same e-mail. Though I wonder if they are also admitting that there was an issue with the registration not being clear (some not shown a place to add guests, similar to my experience) and they have upset guests showing up (avoid the confrontations). Plus if crowds are low they can easily rectify this from frontline CMs experience complaints.
I accidentally reserved a spot for only one person and I didn't receive the email. Has anyone been able to add more people by calling?

They aren’t particularly easy to control. I’d say Spheros are easier. R-series definitely are more stable.
Yikes! Is it a dedicated remote (with buttons or something along those lines) or app controlled? I thought some of my problem with the Spheros was trying to get used to using the app, where there isn't much in terms of tactile ques to help figure out whether you're still in the center of the dial or off to the side, etc.

They do go very fast and the head constantly pops off - it is magnetised. It was quite funny as the CM who activated mine told me to try her out and the head popped off immediately. She said that will happen a lot. I was like gee thanks, $99 on this and the head comes off constantly :rotfl:

To be fair though the more you play with it, the more you get used to the control and how sensitive it is.
That makes sense. Poor BB-8 unit...no head! It sounds like the BB-8 units are rather like a large sized Spheros, but with some more/new features.

I accidentally reserved a spot for only one person and I didn't receive the email. Has anyone been able to add more people by calling?
I cancelled my trip because of the mistake (either theirs or mine, I just expected a confirmation page that would allow me to verify all details before finalized; in all honesty I have no idea if the add a guest button was even present to say what happened). Though if you have for only 1 guest I would call if you want to add others, I'm sure it went to all single guest reservations and perhaps your junk e-mail box filtered it out or something.

Are you allowed to use the remote in the park? I thought I saw somewhere that said you could not.
No. My daughter was using hers in an empty area of GE and we were rather forcefully yelled at about it. Apparently the people at Droid Depot were supposed to tell us, but if they did, we totally missed it. They also didn’t give us a box (we bought a backpack, but the instructions are on the box so you’re supposed to get one anyway).

I can see why they don’t want droids running around and tripping people, so I get it, but it was a little unfortunate to have a child yelled at for something she didn’t know was against the rules. The CM acted like we were perhaps murdering someone by operating the droid in a completely deserted corner of the land. Otherwise, the CMs have been AMAZING; some of them even remembered her droid’s “name” and called out to it hours later!

So, don’t try to use your droids in the parks, people!

MOFO Disney we didn't go to our planned trip 6/1 for the exact reason we only had a reservation for one person grrrr......

Yikes! Is it a dedicated remote (with buttons or something along those lines) or app controlled? I thought some of my problem with the Spheros was trying to get used to using the app, where there isn't much in terms of tactile ques to help figure out whether you're still in the center of the dial or off to the side, etc.
It's a separate remote with buttons. Both types get the same design of remote, with forward/back, turn to each side, and make noises.
Are you allowed to use the remote in the park? I thought I saw somewhere that said you could not.
Officially you are not allowed to. And the PP did report being yelled at. But I saw many people trying them out. And Chewbacca even held a droid race before the park closed on Sunday. So YMMV.

It's a separate remote with buttons. Both types get the same design of remote, with forward/back, turn to each side, and make noises.

Officially you are not allowed to. And the PP did report being yelled at. But I saw many people trying them out. And Chewbacca even held a droid race before the park closed on Sunday. So YMMV.
We had also seen other people using theirs. And I guess if Chewie tells you to do something, you do it. But the CM who SPRINTED over to us, shouting, and gave a lengthy and loud lecture to both my 6-year-old and myself... she sure didn’t think you could.

1. Yesterday we checked in for SWGE at about 7:20 and then rode Star Tours. It was a walk-on. We did not have MM, but anyone who’s in can ride (but it seemed most SW guests were in line for the land, so I wouldn’t worry too much - MM crowds were light).

Exactly what we’re hoping for, super light crowds for MM for the first hour or so and then moseying over to SWGE around 9:00. The piece that isn’t clear is whether we need to get wristbands first before doing the MM attractions, or if we can get them inside the park again around 9:00. Anyone know? TIA!

Exactly what we’re hoping for, super light crowds for MM for the first hour or so and then moseying over to SWGE around 9:00. The piece that isn’t clear is whether we need to get wristbands first before doing the MM attractions, or if we can get them inside the park again around 9:00. Anyone know? TIA!
I’d just walk in and get your wristbands sometime before 8. It took us literally two minutes at 7:20. The 11:00 crowd can check in at 9, so they’ll start lining up and I wouldn’t want to deal with that.

No. My daughter was using hers in an empty area of GE and we were rather forcefully yelled at about it. Apparently the people at Droid Depot were supposed to tell us, but if they did, we totally missed it. They also didn’t give us a box (we bought a backpack, but the instructions are on the box so you’re supposed to get one anyway).

I can see why they don’t want droids running around and tripping people, so I get it, but it was a little unfortunate to have a child yelled at for something she didn’t know was against the rules. The CM acted like we were perhaps murdering someone by operating the droid in a completely deserted corner of the land. Otherwise, the CMs have been AMAZING; some of them even remembered her droid’s “name” and called out to it hours later!

So, don’t try to use your droids in the parks, people!

We had a bit of a nasty experience near the Falcon. Stormtroopers were patrolling and a kid had his lightsaber swinging it round. He tried to get a photo with the stormtrooper and swung the lightsaber. The stormtrooper had to bend back and lost his footing a little bit. The CM with them yelled at him to not play with that as it wasn’t a toy. The stormtroopers quickly moved away and the CM completely forgot she was on stage and blatantly started talking to the one who had nearly fell before going backstage. Wasn’t good to see from any side.

The kid was around 13 so should have known better and the parents were just stood off to a side laughing. I wasn’t going to share at first but since you said you had a CM yell as well!

Last edited:

That makes sense. Poor BB-8 unit...no head! It sounds like the BB-8 units are rather like a large sized Spheros, but with some more/new features.

At the moment her head is in my carry on, her antennas are in my make up bag inside pocket so they are safe and not loseable and her body is in my suitcase. I’m a bad droid parent. I’ve also detached my 3PO’s head, arms and legs from his body to make him shorter to carry around. :oops:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter