• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Loving all of these reviews!! Thank you!! The cantina is our main goal. My next goal would be SR. So, how difficult is it to get a photo at the table where they played chess in the movie? That’s my number 2 goal! Lol. Seriously though, is it difficult to get a photo in the spot while in line?
Actually not hard! Don’t want to give spoilers but you are allowed to wander about the chess room for a minute or two. There could be groups taking up the table, so you need to make sure to ask to take a photo if they aren’t leaving!

QUOTE="crystal1313, post: 60709615, member: 445678"]
Loving all of these reviews!! Thank you!! The cantina is our main goal. My next goal would be SR. So, how difficult is it to get a photo at the table where they played chess in the movie? That’s my number 2 goal! Lol. Seriously though, is it difficult to get a photo in the spot while in line?
[/QUOTE]

I actually had a CM ask if we wanted our photo taken!

CB3BD31D-AA98-496D-97C7-869335B73456.jpeg

We went for our second visit on Sunday, June 9 from 8:00 to noon. The way they ran the Sunday morning group was very different, and it left a lot of people very angry.

For starters, the initial line up was weird. As I noted in the previous post, the crowd on Saturday lined up at Nemo, and then was walked to the Big Thunder Trail gates by Red Rose Tavern, where we waited until it was time to enter. On Sunday the 9th, the crowd was lined up at Nemo until about 7:40. Then they moved the crowd to Matterhorn and held us until almost 8:00. Then the crowd went straight to the Frontierland entrance. That long walk caused the group to break down and people started running and pushing their way forward.

We got separated from our daughter, but she knew our plan was to go to Savi's because we had done the cantina the day before. She entered the land a few minutes before us, but when she walked past Savi's the Batuu citizens (CMs) ordered the crowd to keep going forward with the group toward the cantina. By the time my wife and I got up to that point, people were bailing out and turning left to head to Savi's. Our daughter, who was far in front of us in the crowd, ended up arriving at Savi's about three minutes after we were already in line. I assumed we were screwed at that point. A scrapyard worker came down the line handing out cards, and it looked like I would not get one. I got incredibly lucky, because when she got to me she was down to her last five cards. I got in, and the four people behind me got in. Everyone else was turned away, including a large number of people who were well in front of me in the line and had been waiting two hours just to visit Savi's. One guy screamed an F bomb in frustration, and I could hardly blame him.

It turns out that being at the back of the Savi's group was a bit of a booby prize for anyone who only has one reservation. I waited in line for over an hour to pay and get my 10:30 return time. Upon returning at 10:30, we waited another 15 minutes to enter the workshop. So more than half of the window was dedicated to just that one experience.

However, for real Star Wars fans that one experience was worth it. I read the reports of people crying during the ceremony but dismissed those people as pathetic little wimps who cannot tell the difference between fantasy and reality. Then I went through it myself, and I actually started tearing up and I had to admonish myself to get straight before I broke down into flat out sobs. My daughter, who is not a huge Star Wars fan, felt the same way. I won't do any spoilers, except to say that it uses music and lighting effects to draw an emotional response and it works. Everyone, and I mean everyone, was moved by it. Reports that it is almost a religious experience are absolutely true. If you love Star Wars and have $220 to drop on a toy, make this your priority.

On Sunday the area was more crowded and hotter than Saturday, and the 11:00 crowd was huge. We did some more shopping at Dok Ondar's and then headed out. Before that we had breakfast at Ronto's, flew the Falcon, and downed some blue and green milk.

We are going back on Sunday night. I spoke to some people who had been there at night and they said it was better because the heat was gone, the lighting was beautiful, and the crowds disappeared after the fireworks. We are hoping for the same. I will report back.

BOTTOM LINE:

If you want to do the cantina or Savi's, get to the DL main gates by 6:00 am for the morning slot (I can't help with strategy for later slots). Do not do the Falcon for the first 90 minutes, wait for the standby time to drop to 15 minutes. Most importantly, if you have the means to put your spending out of your mind, do so. The prices hurt. If money is tight, you must prioritize. Disney is going to make a billion dollars per year off of this land alone.

We also didn't do many of the datapad tasks because we didn't want to spend our time staring at our phones instead of experiencing the land. I recommend saving that stuff for your second visit, or third if you have one.

Falcon is great fun, but people who call it a D ticket are correct. It is like an interactive Star Tours, and some of the interaction is little more than "push this flashing button."

May the Force be with you!

Yeah, so they'll make a statement changing it in a few months. They're not going to pour water on their current GE Opening Buzz by coming out with bad news. I know nothing about these things, but apparently there is a wide gap between knowing what the problem is, and fixing it. Perhaps they have not reached the point where it's going to be impossible to go through the whole process by year end, otherwise it's only a matter of time before they change their public statement. I doubt they will do that until after the summer, and after WDW's land has also opened in late August.
And you’re certain of this?

While inine for my 8am reservation by Red Rose just so happens I was standing in front of some of the development/imagineer team and they discussed Rise. Basically they have nailed down what the technical issues are but fixing them is a whole other issue. They said earliest would likely be the end of this year but more likely next year first quarter.
This does not please me 😐 We’re going March 2020 and I’d really it rather still be closed or have been opene for awhile. Oh well.

Yeah, so they'll make a statement changing it in a few months. They're not going to pour water on their current GE Opening Buzz by coming out with bad news. I know nothing about these things, but apparently there is a wide gap between knowing what the problem is, and fixing it. Perhaps they have not reached the point where it's going to be impossible to go through the whole process by year end, otherwise it's only a matter of time before they change their public statement. I doubt they will do that until after the summer, and after WDW's land has also opened in late August.
And you’re certain of this?
I’m still hesitant to believe any rumors about dates. Even if someone did hear it from an actual imagineer. The reality is, the people who know what’s going on are also aware enough not to talk about what’s going on. And even then, information about big things like this are very compartmentalized at Disney, so some people may know some information but very very few people know it all.

But I don’t think we will really know until it’s officially announced. I mean, very few people predicted a May 31 official opening date.

I’m still hesitant to believe any rumors about dates. Even if someone did hear it from an actual imagineer. The reality is, the people who know what’s going on are also aware enough not to talk about what’s going on. And even then, information about big things like this are very compartmentalized at Disney, so some people may know some information but very very few people know it all.

But I don’t think we will really know until it’s officially announced. I mean, very few people predicted a May 31 official opening date.
Agreed 100%

When you check in for your reservation, do all party members need to be there?
Yes.

Interestingly, when I checked in on Tuesday, they were still checking each person’s ID. Today, he checked mine (primary holder) and then very clearly said, “ok, and you’re a party of four, great,” and didn’t look at anyone else’s. It seemed the CM one over did the same from what I saw.

Not sure if that’s a policy change or just a difference in CMs, but it’s possible they’re loosening the reins on swapping out guests.

Yes.

Interestingly, when I checked in on Tuesday, they were still checking each person’s ID. Today, he checked mine (primary holder) and then very clearly said, “ok, and you’re a party of four, great,” and didn’t look at anyone else’s. It seemed the CM one over did the same from what I saw.

Not sure if that’s a policy change or just a difference in CMs, but it’s possible they’re loosening the reins on swapping out guests.
Policy change. That happened with us last night and we asked about it said it was in the last few days that they only need ID for the lead.

Policy change. That happened with us last night and we asked about it said it was in the last few days that they only need ID for the lead.
Seems like that could get dicey with people selling their spots. Hmmmm. But we have two open spots on my reservation because my niece is blocked (I didn’t realize at the time) so SIL and niece won’t be joining. It would be awesome to take two other people.

I have a couple questions since my reservation is next week. I keep hearing that Oga's is the first place to go to since the line or wait can be crazy. While I'm not discriminatory about the times I have a drink, we will have two almost 7 year old girls and I doubt they will want to do Oga's at 8am. I was thinking maybe an 11am switch may be better. A friend of mine was able to request this when she went this past week. What do you all think? Right now we are 8am-12 on a EMH day at DL. The more I think about it, with having kids, we should do the EMH and rides until 9, check in, do another ride and then head to the line? Let me know if I'm off base on my assumptions. Either way, I am so dang excited.

I have a couple questions since my reservation is next week. I keep hearing that Oga's is the first place to go to since the line or wait can be crazy. While I'm not discriminatory about the times I have a drink, we will have two almost 7 year old girls and I doubt they will want to do Oga's at 8am. I was thinking maybe an 11am switch may be better. A friend of mine was able to request this when she went this past week. What do you all think? Right now we are 8am-12 on a EMH day at DL. The more I think about it, with having kids, we should do the EMH and rides until 9, check in, do another ride and then head to the line? Let me know if I'm off base on my assumptions. Either way, I am so dang excited.
If you want to do Oga’s at all, including the 11am, you need to get there early early. If you are willing to forgo any of the big-line experiences (Oga’s, Savi, Droids), then it should be fine to enter at 9. I would ask at Launch Bay though if you would still be allowed to enter by Big Thunder or if late arrivals need to go thru Critter Country.

I probably wouldn’t wait too long though. The 8am slot is golden to be able to experience the land with low crowds and wait times. If you wait to check-in until 9, do another ride, then go to GE, you will get barely an hour before the next group of people enter.

Should I build a lightsaber or go to Doks and get lukes? From the pictures, I really like the look of lukes lightsaber with the shiny metal. It looks more premium then the build your own. Is that the case when you see them in person? can anyone compare the looks of the savis sabers to the ones at doks?

I’m just back - had a 11-3 reservation for today (Sunday). I wanted to say thank you all for your prior reviews-so incredibly helpful!! We weren’t building anything, so Oga’s was top priority. We were at Hungry Bear (stood in sun by canoes) around 10 though it was closer to 10:25 until they let us through to line up. We stayed to the right the whole walk - while a few folks seemed to come from no where, we were in the first wave and got a text 15 minutes after signing in. Luck was with us as we got seated at a booth (3 other parties too) - so fun! Fuzzy Tauntaun was my favorite. (I got blue milk later at the Milk Stand and really liked it too!)

We had shorter ride wait times during the 1pm hour, and utilzed single rider after our first time. I got to be each position which was so nice - I don’t expect a day like today once reservation time is over, so really appreciated my good fortune.

Truly, thanks to all on this board for sharing, suggestions, tips and helping answer questions, etc - just amazing! Hope everyone who has an upcoming reservation has a fantastic experience!

This morning 8-12 didn’t seem any more crowded than the same slot last Tuesday. We rode the Falcon three times in a row between 10-10:50 - standby, not single rider.

I’ll have some more notes later.

How did your daughter's gift giving go? :)

... Not sure if that’s a policy change or just a difference in CMs, but it’s possible they’re loosening the reins on swapping out guests.
I read that they are allowing guest swapping, but only at check in and only in person with ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter