• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh this is interesting! Thanks for putting it together... I have no idea about American school breaks...
I know slightly offtopic... when you say „so many schools on year calendars now“... donyou mean that really long summer break is now split up in shorter breaks during the year?
This whole spring break, grad nite topic is completed new to me honestly( because it luckily never overlapped with my school/university breaks...)

I guess opening of SWGE+ grad nite will make an interesting mix of people very unlike usual days...
I pulled it from one of the Disney blogs. Re summer breaks, some schools are on a year-round schedule meaning the school schedule is something like three weeks off every 3 months, rather than a long summer break. We also have different school schedules in different parts of the country - some school districts start in early to mid August & are out by the last weekend of May, while other school districts start in September and are done the middle of June. And there some some in between that with a late August start & early June end. It isn’t one schedule for all of US or even all of California.

Finally! Some answers for after the reservation period ends!

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201905/6766/

I can only imagine how crazy Rope Drop to SWGE will be! We’re coming in August so I’m just happy to get a bit more info.

Thanks for posting! Glad we will be staying at GCH in July and will have a bit of an advantage in getting through security. Also I assume there will be some kind of assisted queue for GE once guests get inside the park before rope drop, so I am hoping that I can serve as a placeholder of sorts in that queue so my family doesn't have to get up at 6am with me.

Finally! Some answers for after the reservation period ends!

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201905/6766/

I can only imagine how crazy Rope Drop to SWGE will be! We’re coming in August so I’m just happy to get a bit more info.
The information on the virtual queue is similar to previous reports with a few other pieces of information. It is interesting to note that they could close the queue and open the land to the entire populace. It sounds like we should be able to get in during our one day at Disneyland in August. The 2 hours to enter is interesting and I will be watching how this works throughout July as I plan to spend our first hour in Fantasyland but will also jump in the virtual queue as soon as we enter for rope drop.

From the article:
By the way, Disneyland officials confirmed that they will be using a color-coded wristband system to enforce those four-hour limits between May 31 and June 23. The system will work like that used at Disney's Halloween parties. You will need to show a valid wristband color in order to be admitted to Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, Oga's Cantina, or other locations inside the land during your visit. Once your time is up, no one will let you in and you will be encouraged to leave the land.

And don't try to game the system. While the First Order's Stormtroopers might let you slide with a few selfies at the land's abundant outdoor photo ops after your time is up, the Millennium Falcon ride attendants are not going to let you into that queue a few minutes before you're supposed to be out of the land... unless the ride is a walk-on by then.
While it might not be allowed to enter the queue with “a few minutes” left of the four-hour window, there needs to be a specific cutoff time (perhaps based on current estimated wait time).

Thanks for posting! Glad we will be staying at GCH in July and will have a bit of an advantage in getting through security. Also I assume there will be some kind of assisted queue for GE once guests get inside the park before rope drop, so I am hoping that I can serve as a placeholder of sorts in that queue so my family doesn't have to get up at 6am with me.

I'm starting to wonder whether we should change our July reservation from Paradise Pier to GCH for this reason.

I would not want online registration for panels, because there would still be people lining up for the no-show spots or those spots not included in the online aspect. Also, people would line up to get the front or center rows, so I don’t see that as really saving anyone any time. And it is kind of fun to line up early with a few thousand other Disney nerds :mickeyjum

Also, there are multiple lines each day, one for the show floor/shopping opportunities, a line for the large hall panel, and lines for a popular first thing regular panel. While the crazy overnight line last year was for live action, all of them have a lot of interest.

With 70,000 or so people trying to get in each day, that takes time to get everyone through security and ticket scanned. I’d rather line up early to get to the show floor at openings, than to get in late because of hoards of people waiting to get in at opening.
Thanks for the input. I'm sure there will be pros/cons to whatever is announced, and we'll have to adjust accordingly. Fun will be had no matter what! :)

I’m still uncertain about the line for Smugglers Run. The linked articles mention that they really would prefer everyone not rush right to the ride, or else the line will get really long. They also say they’d like to keep the line under two hours. And that you won’t be allowed to enter the line at the last minute, which leaves uncertainty about how late is too late to enter?

My guess is that most people will rush to the line immediately, in the hopes of avoiding a long wait or possibly trying to ride it multiple times.

So I wonder if the best strategy is to try to be as early as possible or, if there will actually be a real value to waiting until your second or third hour when, theoretically, all the people that rushed the ride are now done with it and onto other experiences in the land.

The 2 hours to enter is interesting and I will be watching how this works throughout July as I plan to spend our first hour in Fantasyland but will also jump in the virtual queue as soon as we enter for rope drop.

Be careful with this. I understood that you won’t be able to enter the virtual queue until SWGE reaches capacity.

You may not be able to enter the queue at rope drop... and then you’ll have to pay attention to when that queue opens up. It could add an interesting wrinkle... let’s say you’re on Peter Pan when the queue opens. Three minutes later, you might be in the second or third boarding group.

Also, the risk exists for people to be assigned a boarding group, but for the land to never drop back below capacity and that group allowed in.

All that to say: if SWGE is a top priority, I’d (personally) go directly there at rope drop and not count on a spot in the virtual queue.

I’m still uncertain about the line for Smugglers Run. The linked articles mention that they really would prefer everyone not rush right to the ride, or else the line will get really long. They also say they’d like to keep the line under two hours. And that you won’t be allowed to enter the line at the last minute, which leaves uncertainty about how late is too late to enter?

My guess is that most people will rush to the line immediately, in the hopes of avoiding a long wait or possibly trying to ride it multiple times.

So I wonder if the best strategy is to try to be as early as possible or, if there will actually be a real value to waiting until your second or third hour when, theoretically, all the people that rushed the ride are now done with it and onto other experiences in the land.
Yeah, it seems like especially for the 8am group, there’s a possibility that by 10:30, most people are done with the ride and the line drops before the 11:00 crowd gets in?

Or, maybe not... who knows?

From the article:

While it might not be allowed to enter the queue with “a few minutes” left of the four-hour window, there needs to be a specific cutoff time (perhaps based on current estimated wait time).
I feel like they should cut it off before the next group enters. So, the 8:00 crowd needs to get in by 11, etc. Then they could cut the line at 11pm and keep workers from being stuck there while midnight line-ups take two hours to clear.

Sorry, but I cannot find anywhere in the article where it says “that you won’t be allowed to enter the line at the last minute”

I believe you *can* enter the line at the last minute. However, they don’t want you to.

Am I missing a quote from the article where it says they won’t allow, let’s say, 11:59am queue entry when your reservation ends at 12pm?

Sorry, but I cannot find anywhere in the article where it says “that you won’t be allowed to enter the line at the last minute”

I believe you *can* enter the line at the last minute. However, they don’t want you to.

Am I missing a quote from the article where it says they won’t allow, let’s say, 11:59am queue entry when your reservation ends at 12pm?
“And don't try to game the system. While the First Order's Stormtroopers might let you slide with a few selfies at the land's abundant outdoor photo ops after your time is up, the Millennium Falcon ride attendants are not going to let you into that queue a few minutes before you're supposed to be out of the land... unless the ride is a walk-on by then.”

My theory is that wristbands will be scanned at Olgas, Smugglers Run and other experience places. The colours will already be programmed into the scanners. There will be a cut off time, maybe 15 minutes where there scanners will not recognise the old wristbands. You can still stay in the land, use rest rooms, finish food and drinks and complete purchases but you will no longer be able to access areas needing wristband scanning.

“And don't try to game the system. While the First Order's Stormtroopers might let you slide with a few selfies at the land's abundant outdoor photo ops after your time is up, the Millennium Falcon ride attendants are not going to let you into that queue a few minutes before you're supposed to be out of the land... unless the ride is a walk-on by then.”

Amazing! Thank you. This is good to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter