• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

D23 Expo September 9-11, 2022 Superthread **Updates in Posts 2 & 3**

Thanks. I’m getting panicked that I screwed up my submissions. Like didn’t hit continue and the last step. There’s some mention we should get an email confirming our selections and I don’t see any such email when searching. Did people get a confirmation email of selections and if so from what address?

Sigh. I’m going to be so frustrated if I screwed this up especially since I didn’t go back in during the week to confirm they were there like I planned to do.
Yes, it came from confirmation@d23expo.com.

But I wouldn't necessarily stress it. I filled out everything, and the only reservation I got was for something I didn't ask for / didn't want. (Which, at least as far as Reddit goes, seems to have been a surprisingly common result.)

But I wouldn't necessarily stress it. I filled out everything, and the only reservation I got was for something I didn't ask for / didn't want. (Which, at least as far as Reddit goes, seems to have been a surprisingly common result.)
Thanks. I don’t have any emails from that address. So most likely I filled it all out, hit continue and thought the summary was a confirmation. Looks like there was a confirm button I probably missed. Oh well.

And yeah, I’m guessing with my luck I wouldn’t get the Marvel panel anyways.

My husband and daughter got their reservations and also got something they did not request and unfortunately, did not get the one they really wanted of the Parks panel. This is our first time with D23 - we noticed it said you can still do standby. We assume these are the queues that begin lining up at 6am? :| Thanks for any guidance!

Anyone know if smaller panels still do giveaways? Or is it only for Hall D panels?
I've gotten giveaways from the arena panels (the second largest stage after Hall D23 at past expos). At the Simpsons panel in 2019, in addition to a Bart cutout, Matt Groening actually gave out drawings from his sketchbook to lucky audience members. And at the Little Mermaid panel, they gave out a mini poster/print.

But since Walt's plane is in the arena this year, it looks like the Premier Stage would be your best chance at getting a giveaway.

eta: I forgot I also got these really cool Ducktales embroidered patches at a smaller panel with the voice actors, so it's really anyone's guess if there will be giveaways.

Last edited:

My husband and daughter got their reservations and also got something they did not request and unfortunately, did not get the one they really wanted of the Parks panel. This is our first time with D23 - we noticed it said you can still do standby. We assume these are the queues that begin lining up at 6am? :| Thanks for any guidance!
Yes. People will start lining up for the first panel in hall d23 when they open security. The afternoon panels do not allow lineups until the morning panel has started.

Parks is a really popular panel, so a lot of people probably requested it.

Yes. People will start lining up for the first panel in hall d23 when they open security. The afternoon panels do not allow lineups until the morning panel has started.
So if you are standing in line for panels when do you have time do other things?

Anyone know if smaller panels still do giveaways? Or is it only for Hall D panels?

As others have said, the giveaways can happen pretty much at any panel but aren't guaranteed - one year they even gave away items at one of the Archive panels I was at, raffle style.

That's how I ended with a Fantasia Maquette. My bags were soooo overfilled and I remember walking back to the hotel with a huge box, shaking my head. I love that elephant.

Last edited:
You're going to the Disney Family Museum yes 👀? Also stay in SF. Rest of the Bay has several 100+ days coming up, but SF should be downright fantastic weather wise.

Edit: just saw you aren't! Noooo, it's REALLY a good museum. There's still time to change plans!
So looks like we're going to fit it in on Monday! Thanks for the encouragement. And mentioning the heat helped 😉

So if you are standing in line for panels when do you have time do other things?

So, you said earlier that this is your first Expo. I'm guessing you haven't done any type of large convention event like this before?

You will not be able to everything that you want to. It's impossible. Being strategic is key, deciding what is most important and then attempting the one thing. Everything else is a bonus beyond that. Say you want to go to the D23 Expo Marketplace (aka, the Disney Store/Dream Store/?) - you'll need to either secure at StorePass or wait in the standby queue. If you want to go to an Archives Stage Panel without a StagePass, you'll have to wait - the queue holding areas are marked on the map, generally the line starts before a panel, during the day the next panel's line usually starts after the first panel has been let in, sometimes they will allow an unofficial second line to form outside that area to fill the panel after that, but it's not always so. They try to control the flow of people.

Going from panel to panel to panel is usually not possible. There is plenty to do and see without lining up for any panels, but there are going to be crowds and lines everywhere.

I would suggest lowering your expectations and decide one thing a day you want to do and go in with that goal. And this type of event isn't for everyone.

Usually they put you into long lane queues either in the hall e basement where they also have the waiting areas for the hall d23 panels and they use the basement of the north building. They will bring people in to enter based on who showed up first. There are bathrooms to use in both basements and I made friends with the people around to me to hold spots to use the bathroom etc. And for merch it sounds like you will want the regular MOG shop.
If they are not allowing an overnight queue for panels will they do it for shops? Or will it not matter if shops are a virtual queue?

I am preferred and didn't receive an email at all. It would be nice if they send the reject emails too. What was the heading on the email from them?

I don’t know who it was from. Here’s the subject.

“Your Reservation Assignment for D23 Expo 2022”

If they are not allowing an overnight queue for panels will they do it for shops? Or will it not matter if shops are a virtual queue?
No overnight queues for anything, panels or shopping.

So looks like we're going to fit it in on Monday! Thanks for the encouragement. And mentioning the heat helped 😉

Woohoo! It's really well worth it and yeah. Seriously avoid the rest of the Bay unless there's something you really want to go do. I'm about an hour/hour and a half east and slightly north of SF and right now it's 104 according to my car. The closer to the bay you are, the cooler it'll be. SF is its own climate. Pack a hoodie or light jacket at the very least. Vendors in the city make a huge profit on unprepared tourists because one never knows if it'll be the rare toasty day in SF or if Karl the fog will pay a visit 😂

Presidio where the museum is also has a great view of the Golden Gate (if the fog isn't rolled in).

It's really such a cool place. Lots of history about the company, the family, and DLR. I always tell people it's such a lovely compliment to a DLR trip. Too bad they're so far apart lol

So, you said earlier that this is your first Expo. I'm guessing you haven't done any type of large convention event like this before?

You will not be able to everything that you want to. It's impossible. Being strategic is key, deciding what is most important and then attempting the one thing. Everything else is a bonus beyond that. Say you want to go to the D23 Expo Marketplace (aka, the Disney Store/Dream Store/?) - you'll need to either secure at StorePass or wait in the standby queue. If you want to go to an Archives Stage Panel without a StagePass, you'll have to wait - the queue holding areas are marked on the map, generally the line starts before a panel, during the day the next panel's line usually starts after the first panel has been let in, sometimes they will allow an unofficial second line to form outside that area to fill the panel after that, but it's not always so. They try to control the flow of people.

Going from panel to panel to panel is usually not possible. There is plenty to do and see without lining up for any panels, but there are going to be crowds and lines everywhere.

I would suggest lowering your expectations and decide one thing a day you want to do and go in with that goal. And this type of event isn't for everyone.
only panels I was wanting were hall 23 but seems like need to queue up 5 hours before so means nothing gets done. Again as said before doing anything Disney is not as fun as it was. Why should i have to have a strategic plan to have fun? All I will say at this point my expectations are not being met.

only panels I was wanting were hall 23 but seems like need to queue up 5 hours before so means nothing gets done. Again as said before doing anything Disney is not as fun as it was. Why should i have to have a strategic plan to have fun? All I will say at this point my expectations are not being met.

Just kind of how these expos go.

It's about 80% frustration and waiting in lines, and maybe 5% amazing awesome things happen which make up for the 80% of line waiting and frustrations and makes some of us keep coming back time and again. Even though it's truly not a completely 100% fun event.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter